Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moggie6

Dutchess County Emergency Services

27 posts in this topic

I would like honest opinions from all sides, volunteer and career.

What do you think of the current state of Emergency Services in Dutchess County?

Do you think the Emergency Service in Dutchess County is adequate or could it be better?

What can we do to better serve the public?

How long do you feel you or a family member of yours should wait for help to arrive in the event of an emergency?

What solutions would improve Emergency Service in Dutchess County?

:angry: This is a good question and I hope it geats some good reply's and generates a good Thread. I live in Dutchess County and overall It needs work in some area's. I will start out with where I live. I am very happy in the Town of Wappingers. The Fire Departments are quite active and do a lot of Training. EMS has one of the best reponse times in the county. As a taxpayer and someone who has used them numerous times I feel they are seconed to none. Police protection by NYSP and DCSO is outstanding. As far as EMS county wide that needs alot of work. Take Arlington, LaGrange, and TransCare out of the mix and we need better response times. In 2007 you should not be waiting more than 5 minutes for an ambulance 90 % of the time. I am not going to bash the other commecial services because I have little to no knowledge about there operations. Except for Alamo. My comments would not be fair to the crews who work hard so I will keep them to myself.Hopefully some day someone will wake up and move to fix this problem. As far as fire protection, again in some area's it is great other area's not so good. Some departments are going to a mutual box assignment. I think that is a good idea. It works very well in VA & MD. Over all recruitment is down. For change pepole have to have open minds and a willingness to try new things. Some of the ego's and power trips that some of these Chief's have are just ridiculous. Good question. No offense to Seth, who I don't know. I would rather read this than some of the BS that has been posted lately.

I would like honest opinions from all sides, volunteer and career.

What do you think of the current state of Emergency Services in Dutchess County?

Do you think the Emergency Service in Dutchess County is adequate or could it be better?

What can we do to better serve the public?

How long do you feel you or a family member of yours should wait for help to arrive in the event of an emergency?

What solutions would improve Emergency Service in Dutchess County?

There are a lot of different aspects of the Emergency Services to be looked at. I know that about a year or 2 ago, there was a study that was released, referring to the state of the emergency services sector of Dutchess County, and a Symposium held at DCC with the results. Unfortunately, I did not get to go, but wish I could see some of the results turned up.

I am far too tired, and it is far too late right now for me to post any more, but I will come back to this topic tomorrow, when I am a bit more alert, and composed, to, well, compose my thoughts into word form, lol!

It largely depends on where you look in Duthcess. If you live in LaGrange, Arlington, Fairview, or the City, your getting service which is combined or fully career with some sort of minimum response. Go elsewhere and your lucky if you get a chiefs car, unless initially dispatched as something "juicy" (and even then nothing is for sure).

As far as EMS, i think thats a bit more complicated. Don't know the dynamics that well as i'm not a resident, but working in the County there seems to be a heavy emphasis on the dollars and cents. It takes about 300 , 000 - 500,000 dollars a year (barely and depending on who you ask hence the range) to staff 1 ALS ambulance. If you want two dedicated units that 1 million at the bare minimum. Some of these towns simply don't want to pay for two units, couple that with some extended transport and backfill times, things become murky and people get angry.

Moggie6 as I told you in our discussion at the station, one of the biggest problems that lies with the fire service is that EVERYTHING relates to tradition. Yes, Bil14ga I said it again... However, Tradition is not bad in other aspects of the fire service.

We as firefighters, need to realize that "Our Department" may not be able to handle what we were able to handle in the past. Society has changed and because of that the emergency services need to adapt to that change. Maybe it's running automatic mutual aide or granting the DC-911 dispatchers the right to "Dispatcher Disgretion", or even yet possiibly even looking into the option of either combining departments or creating a county wide fire department. We can no longer hold onto the mentality of "This is my fire house and we can handle everything."

One of the biggest points made in the simpossium that xfirefighter484x mention was the fact that the FDNY operates with a total of 5 Heavy Rescues. However within a 15 mile radius in Dutchess County there are at least 5 if not more Heavy Rescues. Just a thought to ponder...

I believe that you can always do better, somewhere somehow there is always a way. However, here in Dutchess we deal with what we have to the best of our ability.

It is always easy to give an answer as to how long you should wait for an emergency response. The truth of that is when you need the help you want it there as fast as possible. Five minutes feels like an eternity when in need of help.

It largely depends on where you look in Duthcess. If you live in LaGrange, Arlington, Fairview, or the City, your getting service which is combined or fully career with some sort of minimum response. Go elsewhere and your lucky if you get a chiefs car, unless initially dispatched as something "juicy" (and even then nothing is for sure).

Goose, the first part of your post hits the nail right on the head. You hear it all the time on the 911 radio, where some of these departments cannont get an adequate response out for alarms.

I too am not sure what it takes to staff two ambulances, but again, many towns do not want to pay for the services. They see no value in someone sitting idle while their tax dollars are funding their pay. We all know that this is not a constructive way to look at things, and that funding of emergency services is an insurance policy of sorts. When I worked commercial EMS, I always thought that Beekman & Pawling should have 3 rigs between the two towns, so they can share the backup unit. Though not the optimum plan, it was still better than the current system and could potentially cut down the wait time for an ambulance for a 2nd call or major incident that requires a large up-front response.

As for what I observe from good old Fairview:

1. All of the career/combination departments listed above are short staffed. Oftentimes, ladders and ambulances are cross-staffed, and in departments without transport EMS service, 2 firefighters per rig, is simply not accepable for getting manpower to a scene and ensuring safety of the public and firefighters alike.

2. EMS response north of here is a major problem. Response times aren't anything special, and the level of service from the home departments is dependant on the type of call, location, and even transport is questionable, because it sounds like it is often turned over to a commercial service, even if the call is BLS and the FD's ambulance is on scene with a crew. I have been to plenty of mutual aid calls up that way and the same thing has happened to me, all while our station is down an ambulance and half of the shift because it seems that some people have a problem with back-to-back calls, transporting, or simply responding unless it is a "good call."

3. Fire response in this county is also unnerving. Fairview has one of the highest fire taxes in the state (upwards of 85% of the proprty in the district is tax-exempt. Thank you Albany and Dutchess County!) However, as an employee, I can attest that taxpayer dollars are spent very responsibly, and come budget time, the higher-ups sharpen their pencils to a fine point. We get good equipment that is practical and gets the job done. We also maintain it well. It is hard to understand from my view why The Town of Wappinger needs 4 or 5 heavy rescue trucks, all of which seem to cost more than the stock of our fire or EMS apparatus, and do about half as much or less calls per year. My point is, Dutchess County has an immense duplication of services, and I wonder what accountability measure are in place for departments and their management considering some of the spending that takes place. (As I understand it, East Fishkill's tax rate is similar to Arlington's. Arlington has 80 employees and 4 stations, East Fishkill 0 employees and 4 stations and a sub station.) Where is this money going? Do we need a new engine or chief's cars every other year? Also, are we buying what is practical to do the job?

My Pipe Dream:

A county-wide Fire Department, which runs fire and EMS. Both services would be staffed adequately based on need and call volume. EMS would be fire-based, relying on FD first response and transport from a BLS or ALS unit based on the type of call. Commercial services would be left to medical transport, medical facility, etc. This department would still have a place for the volunteer service, and would lead to more qualified personnel, and a way for someone to start as a volunteer and make their way into the career department. With all this comes fiscal responsibility, increased training and certification opportunities, and a true sense of comraderie. Too many ideas to list here, but I think this can be accomplished while still holding down the identities of different communities, all while working together and providing better service to the taxpayers.

We have a problem in Dutchess County, and the politicians seem to stay away from meeting the issue head-on. Everyone wants their little kingdom, and while the demographics of the county change, call volume increases, and nature of services change, our staffing stays the same. To be honest, I love my job, and I love working at Fairview, but if things change for the better, I am not concerned with what color my gear is, what the patch on my shoulder reads (FFD of DCFD), or what color the rig is. What matters is that we get the tools and staffing to provide our taxpyers the BEST POSSIBLE service and protection, all while ensuring that our brothers and sisters are able to safely do their jobs and go home to their families after every shift.

.....one of the biggest problems that lies with the fire service is that EVERYTHING relates to tradition.

Enough Said.

Dutchess County has an immense duplication of services, and I wonder what accountability measure are in place for departments and their management considering some of the spending that takes place. (As I understand it, East Fishkill's tax rate is similar to Arlington's. Arlington has 80 employees and 4 stations, East Fishkill 0 employees and 4 stations and a sub station.) Where is this money going? Do we need a new engine or chief's cars every other year? Also, are we buying what is practical to do the job?

Ok, before i say anything there is nothing meant to be personal here, but facts should be straight before spoken. Arlington's budget is somewhere in the area of 13+ million per year, according to the posting on their web site i saw earlier this year. East Fishkill's budget was 2.7ish when i last saw it around the same time. Its alot of difference there. Granted, we may have alot of equipment, but our district is almost 60 square miles, including quite a few miles of I84 and the TSP from the Lagrange Town line to Putnam County, and automatic mutal aid into putnam on a regular basis past Route 301. Our commisioners also make a great attempt to make sure the tax payers money is spent on what it needs. We replace engines, CHIEFs Cars, etc. when they need to be replaced, IE: when the cost of repair and upkeep outweighs the cost of a replacement. Yes, we did just buy 2 new chief's vehicles, and if you saw the old ones, they were on the verge of falling apart. And, keep in mind that though there are four fire houses, they are not owned by the town, they are owned by the members of each house. The district pays "rent" to each house for equipment storage. The company's chief's cars are also owned by the company, not the district. I realize just like everyone else that we do need to figure out ways to improve our response times, etc. There are quite a few who push for career firefighters, and I don't disagree, but 2 or 3 men will not fix the problem. I also realize that our rescue squad is in poor shape as well. The ones who need to worry about it are already making plans and compromises to do what is nessesary to improve that as well, even if it means to PAY for it, though nothing is set in stone. And we are trying desperately to motivate the nearly 500 members we have to do more, so we dont have to rely on the few that are willing to spend more time in the ambulance or in gear more than they do at their real jobs(Myself included). The fire apparatus take a few mintues to respond based on the fact that they are not to respond without a full crew, unless told to do so by command. A full crew in our dept. is the driver, and at least 2 Interior Firefighters.

Ok, enough about EFFD, lets go outside the sandbox for a minute. As stated, EMS in dutchess county needs alot of work. PERIOD! Whether its career of volunteer, they all need work. The fact that alamo drops calls like hot potatoes, and i live in a town covered by alamo, i worry every night when i go to work that if omething happens to my mother and i'm not home, they won't have a unit available to take care of her, or try to grow wings and fly from Poughkeepsie to Fishkill aggravates the crap out of me. I know and love alot of the employees at Alamo, but the company still sucks. How about if I am taking a patient to the hospital, and i happen to be in Lagrange or Arlington's district, and he/ she starts circling the drain, that i get told that Lagrange or Arlington won't send me a medic, and county has to find me one? Thats crap too. Or Chief of Dept X fought over toys in the fourth grade with chief of Dept Y, so now, even though their right next door to each other, they each hve to skip a town or two or more over for mutual aid.......... I can go on all day, but i am tired, and aggravated, and its time for me to go to sleep.

I agree with a lot of what Bendel said in his post but everyone is right about EMS it isn't the best that it can be,how about dropping "contracts" etc and use GPS in all rigs this way if XYZ Fire Dept. ambulance needs ALS and a crew is in the area and available they go no matter what the patch on the uniforms say. I know it's a dream but why can't it happen? We all need to put the BS aside and do what's right for the taxpayers that we protect.......

Just my 2 cents

EFFP411 i dont think u could have said it any better. I know of a couple incidents where fire department X would refuse to send a medic to assist a neighboring town with a critical situation but when department X would reguest there medic or ambulance that town would send it without a problem or when a neighboring town would request one of department X's staffed engines with a medic onboard that engine as a firefighter to a fire scene they have no problem in sending it. What would be the difference if the medic was in a firetruck or an ambulance?? The politics have to stop its not about who has the best looking rig or the biggest, we are all in this for the same thing and thats to ensure that everyone can live their lives knowing that if they ever have an emergency or need help we will be there for them. Automatic mutual aid is a great thing to have no matter who your neighboring town is or what color firetruck they have you should always call them when necessary and dont jump over them because you dont get along with them i dont care when if chiefx doesnt like chiefz mutual aid departments are on scene together they must work together and set all differences aside were not here to play games or politics we are here to save lives.

Heres a new twist on things.........Could the reason for duplication of services could be some smart Chiefs and Commissioners / Board Members being responsible for "their" piece of the pie without always having to rely on PDQ Fire Dept ( Thank you LAW PROFESSION that we have worry about lawsuits). Then deal with the never ending "What ifs' their "specialized" piece of equipment is tied up or O.O.S.? Until there is a County Wide Fire Dept & MASTER PLAN for Emergency Services, there will always be duplication of services. Sometimes having that piece of "specialized" equipment isn't such a bad thing when you have to extricate numerous people from a vehicle or need to make multiple rescues from a multi story building. As long as the Fire Districts spend their money wisely there should be no questions. The question the departments need to ask is "Do we need a parade truck or a "Quality" work truck" ? I see more and more each time a department buys a truck they are leaning more to latter of the two. Are they bigger yes, why, the concept of more tools in one toolbox with less manpower is a wiser decision. FALLON-CHURCHVILLE Nev........Google them and check out their dept and ratings.

EFFP411, I apologize, I was referring to the tax rate per thousand on assessed property value, which is what I was told by an accountant. Not the actual budget totals. I will research it a bit and see if they are the same and get back to you.

-mark

Edited by mbendel36

EFFP411, I apologize, I was referring to the tax rate per thousand on assessed property value, which is what I was told by an accountant. Not the actual budget totals. I will research it a bit and see if they are the same and get back to you.

-mark

oh, thats easy, it has something to do with the hoard of $800,000+ houses being built in our town every day.....

sorry, but this whole thing has been burning me for a while now, i just needed to vent a bit

So about how many rescue trucks are in dutchess? and what is the level of training of the members who man these rigs? is there a minimum level of training for the members of the company in order to be called a rescue company? Or is it just like you have a rescue truck so you’re a rescue company?

This is meant in no way to bash any one just wondering how different Westchester and dutchess are.

So about how many rescue trucks are in dutchess? and what is the level of training of the members who man these rigs? is there a minimum level of training for the members of the company in order to be called a rescue company? Or is it just like you have a rescue truck so you’re a rescue company?

This is meant in no way to bash any one just wondering how different Westchester and dutchess are.

It varies department to department. Some departments have special rescue teams, who train and specialize in rescue ops...other departments run a rescue truck with a crew of "jack of all trades".... much like anywhere else.

I do not beleive that any of the counties career departments have members permanantly assigned to a rescue company - many rotate.

mabe some one could also explain the numbering system of rigs up there in dutchess i know they are very organized by dutchess 911 so you know for example 39-11 is a engine or 34-11 is a engine (although i know its a quint)

the 1st numbers are the Dept number the 2nd set are the type of rig.. correct?

Edited by HFD23

Anything in the **-51,52,53 range in a rescue truck, first two numbers being the dept. vehicle. I almost think that Westchester's numbering system may make more sense. What is everyone's opinion?

We do not have the same separation as putnam and westchester do with "rescue companies"....

ALmost every district in dutchess has a rescue truck, or an engine set up as a "rescue engine" with jaws, cribbing etc.

Before anyone says its a duplication, think of how many square miles each town is, they are alot bigger than any in putnam or westchester. There is always too much of a chance of too mant things going on at once to rely on other towns for help, each is set up to handle its own. We(East Fishkill) have a main rescue truck, that bounces back and forth between station 1 and 2. Each station also has one engine with jaws, cribbing, etc. in the case of a second call, or the event the rescue doesnt get out. You have to be Jaws qualified, IE taken the course to operate it, and to drive or ride on the rescue truck. The only way they allow non jaws qualified members to ride the rescue is if they are an EMT.

How do you guys do it "down south"??

Edited by EFFP411

mabe some one could also explain the numbering system of rigs up there in dutchess i know they are very organized by dutchess 911 so you know for example 39-11 is a engine or 34-11 is a engine (although i know its a quint)

Here ya go!

First and foremost the most simple answer is every emergency service has the room to improve no matter where and now matter how.

Secondly, I want to point out something, there is a big difference between duplication of services and the ability to operate independant operational capability. When you get into specialized responses then you can have duplication of services, but in todays day and age of increased call volumes, terrorist threats and very vulnerable infrastructure to both man made and age deterioration (such as the electrical grid) it is important in many aspects to have the ability to best support your district or municipality to the best of your ability. I've had this discussion time and time again when on apparatus comittees or familiar with their process when asked on my level of what we would like our representative on the comittee to bring to the table. One example I can think of is putting generators on apparatus. One generator rarely doest the trick anymore and after the blackout tons of departments were putting their hands out for grants for more. Or the instance where you are a fairly busy department call volume and fire event wise in your area. When the discussion comes up about putting a cascade system on the apparatus, there are several that do not because a neighboring department has one and has traditionally filled that roll. Also the point is brought up that another nearby department has one, despite the fact they can only fill a limited amount of bottles due to not having a compressor on the rig that carries their device? Is this the duplication of services argument? Or tradition getting in the way of progress? I say the latter. Show me any department that wants to be called in to fill cylinders every single time and would care if you call them for an engine instead of air. Generators and cascades are invaluable to many and gives another resource that could be needed at anytime anywhere.

I would love to see Dutchess work on a way to get a countywide system. The employment numbers would be great, many of you on here would have a job that you love and service would improve greatly across the board. I'm not going to get into the numbers game but some of the budgets out there could easily substaniate having career personnel easily. I'm familiar with another area that pays "rent" to house fire apparatus. I think that is the most ridiculous thing ever and a scam in itself and a waste of taxpayer money. To pay a "fire company" "rent" from the district to house a fire apparatus in a "fire company?" RIDICULOUS! Build a district firehouse and use the money other then supporting company level activities...either that or charge the fire companies for use of district chief vehicles. If the money is going one way, then why not in the other direction.

There is no such thing as a jack of all trades approach in many aspects. Your first and foremost speciality requirement is that to fire suppression activities!!

well, typically 11-2* is an engine, or classified as an engine, (even though it may have a ladder plopped on top) 31-38 is usually tankers, 41-46 is for ladder trucks, TL's, etc. 51-55 is for actual rescues, 55 is a large rescue, or typically so, 61-69 are for special units, brush trucks, utilities, unique apparatus (39-67= Squad) 71-79 is for ambulances, 81-89 is typically a medic, or medic unit, the only ones to have these at this point in time are lagrange and arlington(81 for us is the hose truck), and 91-99 is soup to nuts. it could be anything depending where it is. 94 and 98 for us are fire police units, 96 is any one of the trailers, 97 is the ifre investigation unit, 99A and B are the boats...

it gets interesting to try and remember it all

a engine with jaws or cribbing I personally don’t deem as a rescue or duplication of services a true rescue should have air bags, rope, specialized rescue equipment, grip hoists, slings, wire rope, shackles, equipment for shoring, struts, maybe trench panels, etc... All the regular stuff most engines don’t carry what is the point of a rescue with just a tool then you need an engine to stretch a line.. and a rescue with a pump and hose and tank should just be an engine.

its one thing to have the big truck another to equip it correctly.. but lastly you need to people trained to use the equipment.

Edited by HFD23

a engine with jaws or cribbing I personally don’t deem as a rescue or duplication of services a true rescue should have air bags, rope, specialized rescue equipment, grip hoists, slings, wire rope, shackles, equipment for shoring, struts, maybe trench panels, etc... All the regular stuff most engines don’t carry what is the point of a rescue with just a tool then you need an engine to stretch a line.. and a rescue with a pump and hose and tank should just be an engine.

its one thing to have the big truck another to equip it correctly.. but lastly you need to people trained to use the equipment.

you got that right :D

-mark

East Fishkill's 2008 proposed budget is $3,331,550.00

Arlington's 2008 proposed budget is $13,136,600.00

Fairview's 2008 proposed budget is 3,200,00.00 (about)

East Fishkill's fire tax rate for 2007 was 5.83%

Arlington's fire tax rate for 2007 was 7.06%

Fairview's fire tax rate for 2007 was 9.70% in Hyde Park and 10.49% in Poughkeepsie

East Fishkill's 2008 proposed budget is $3,331,550.00

Arlington's 2008 proposed budget is $13,136,600.00

Fairview's 2008 proposed budget is 3,200,00.00 (about)

East Fishkill's fire tax rate for 2007 was 5.83%

Arlington's fire tax rate for 2007 was 7.06%

Fairview's fire tax rate for 2007 was 9.70% in Hyde Park and 10.49% in Poughkeepsie

Though budget totals are nearly the same for FFD and EFFD, look at the manpower, number of rigs, number of stations, etc. That would be like comparing apples to oranges. The startling thing you see is how the size of our district in proportion to tax-exempt property impacts the average taxpayer!

I don't always like to play the numbers game, but look at the size/ layout/ staffing of Arlington and East Fishkill. East Fishkill has more stations, equipment and more turf than Arlington, no doubt. Also, look at the property value for the average home, as well as the new construction, again, probably a bit higher in East Fishkill than in the Town of Poughkeepsie. EFFD is less than $2 per thousand off Arlington. I'm not talking about budget total, I'm talking about the fire tax rate. Would the taxpayers in East Fishkill pay the extra $1.23 per thousand to have ALS level transport provided by their Fire Department along with 24/7 staffed rigs? Would the manpower suffice for the equipment? Also, would initial dispatch change? (less equipment on a 1st alarm) NOT trying to make a mess in people's cornflakes, but I want to see what people think.

Edited by mbendel36

Though budget totals are nearly the same for FFD and EFFD, look at the manpower, number of rigs, number of stations, etc. That would be like comparing apples to oranges. The startling thing you see is how the size of our district in proportion to tax-exempt property impacts the average taxpayer!

I don't always like to play the numbers game, but look at the size/ layout/ staffing of Arlington and East Fishkill. East Fishkill has more stations, equipment and more turf than Arlington, no doubt. Also, look at the property value for the average home, as well as the new construction, again, probably a bit higher in East Fishkill than in the Town of Poughkeepsie. EFFD is less than $2 per thousand off Arlington. I'm not talking about budget total, I'm talking about the fire tax rate. Would the taxpayers in East Fishkill pay the extra $1.23 per thousand to have ALS level transport provided by their Fire Department along with 24/7 staffed rigs? Would the manpower suffice for the equipment? Also, would initial dispatch change? (less equipment on a 1st alarm) NOT trying to make a mess in people's cornflakes, but I want to see what people think.

I don't really want to stir the pot either, but the tax payers are going to have to figure out if they want to pay that extra $1.25, because we are ALL taking a step back and taking a good hard look at the state of things, and what is to be done. I do believe EMS will be the first thing to change, or separate from the FD, or dissapear, and give way to a commercial agency, or whatever the "politicians" decide. Since there are many less people willing to staff our ambulance, since one is manned and rostered 24/7, and alot of people are getting the attitude, of "i'm a firefighter, the band aid wagon doesn't belong in our firehouse", which also annoys the crap out of me. And i don't want to hear anyone contest it, because i've heard those exact words more than once from numerous people! :angry: I do know, that is seems people are much more willing to let the ambulance go all together, rather than have to peel that "100% Volunteer" off the side of every fire truck..... I am proud that we have been able to withstand this long 100 percent volunteer, but there is a difference between pride and stupidity, and were getting close to the thin grey line that separates the two......

I'm pretty sure that most of the departments have a vehicle dedicated to rescue assignments. Few departments that come to mind are Hughsonville, Arlington and City of Poughkeepsie. Don't know how Arlington and Hugsonville staff their stuff, but i do know that the City's truck is not manned. From what I've seen/understand is if one of their trucks is OOS that truck company will be assigned to Rescue 1. Other than that i think it would be special called by the shift commander. Someone from PFD can clarify.

Edited by Goose