Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

What Is The Status Of Port Chester's New Ladder 31?

21 posts in this topic

I was wondering if Port Chester has recieved the new ladder 31 yet, because I went by Port Chester's hedquartes earlier today and I could not tell if the new ladder was there or not.

Nothing on the Smeal or NEFEA websites yet. I know is a rear mount on either a Spartan Gladiator a Smeal Sirus cab, black over red. I haven;t been down that way in a while, maybe I'll take a buff ride down tonight.

We are having the final inspection on Monday and hope to see it in house at the end or the month.

Could you get some pictures when you go for the inspection and post them?

Edited by pcfdrfd700

Is that going to replace the tiller? Or is the tiller already gone - it's been a while for me....

IT will replace the last tiller for that company. there has be a tiller truck in PORT CHESTER back to the horse days.

post-289-1200065574.jpg

Izzy, if you want to pm me, let me know when you you want to come down and I'll meet you at HQ and show you around. We can go around to other firehouses if you want. I will be going out to Smeal this Sunday until Tues. night.

That is a cool picture of their old ladder. Looks like this one is a hand drawn unit, not horse drawn or did it double as a horse drawn? Any more info on the rig?

Tower, I sent you a PM.

Will PC keep the tiller as a spare, or is it gone once the new rig comes?

The tiller is going to be sold. It had the aerial refurbished two years ago. A new tractor would make this a first line rig for any department.

The tiller is going to be sold. It had the aerial refurbished two years ago. A new tractor would make this a first line rig for any department.

Is the tillerman's seat enclosed or in the open?

The final inspection is done and we should see it in house at the end of the month.

just keep DRAMA away from it and you should be just fine!

Is there a reason why this route wasn't taken/explored??

First Rye now Port Chester...2 more tillers are no more. :(

Pretty sure a new tiller was way out of the price range, maybe someone on here from HHH&L can confirm???

If you already have the body, aerial, and maybe some refurb to the tiller seat, would just getting a tractor have been out of the price range??

Doing a complete refurb of the ladder was not a cost effective solution. The aerial was refurbed due to safety reasons. One of the flys of the ladder had indents caused by the slide wheels. This was found nearly two and a half years ago. At the time, the village did not have funds available to bid out a new truck, and the process would have taken too long to only have one aerial in the village. So we investigated a complete refurb of the truck. The cost for the new stick, new tractor, enclosing tiller seat, and overhaul of body would have come to nearly $300,000. This is alot of money to end up with a new tractor and a 25 year old rear. The new vehicle is less than $700,000. So with the hard work of the truck committee, a new Smeal will be arriving in the very near future, and I can say it is an AWSOME rig.

Edited by towerladder2

The Rye discussion that hijacked this thread has been split into it's own discussion in the Apparatus forum. This topic is for the discussion of Port Chester's new Ladder, and that only. Anyone that has an issue with this can contact me. Thanks.

Please continue to discuss Port Chester's new Ladder on this thread.