Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Drinking in the rig at the parade?

76 posts in this topic

Patch says V.S. on them- P.S. The guy took the video down.

I I didn't see the patch, though you were refering to the other incident a few months ago reported by the "Lair Alarm"

paid/volunteer police/fire/ems doesn't matter drinking in uniform in the apparatus is PATHETIC

Look what they did to the SWAT team from Jersey after hooters pictures emerged - they were disbanded. Don't say that paid departments dont police themselves

I am the guy who stated that the driver should not move the apparatus while that is going on, SORRY I MISSED THE OBVIOUS!!!. I HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRE SERVICE FOR 27 YRS AN OFFICER FOR ALMOST 20 OF THEM AND I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING STUPID WHILE IN UNIFORM, DRUNK OR OTHERWISE. AND I ALSO STAND BY MY STATEMENT THAT THIS IS A VERY STUPID ACT FOR IT TO WIND UP ON THE INTERNET.

As an ex officer, would have accepted this behavior since you are quick to point out the negative responses?

You missed my point sir. I am stating that Im tired of seeing critiques of youtube videos on this site. Is everyone getting that desperate? I like this site because we have INTELLIGENT conversation about important topics. I dont like to see some of our members going around LOOKING for things to pick apart, instead of starting a decent and educational discussion about something thats not going to start the "Paid Vs. Volly" or "Bashing" thing.

I have 20 years in the service, and I am VERY professional. But I have also seen HUNDREDS of firefighters everywhere, at parades, drinking beer afterwords in the "Beer Tents", using "Beer Tickets" issued to them at the start of the parade. I have never, EVER, supported this behavior or tolerated it. In my post, if you had paid attention to it, I clearly stated how we work here in my dept. and that the behavior isnt tolerated.

What I wanted people to see is that its getting real pathetic to see everyone posting youtube videos, and taking needless shots at brothers/sisters who are not here to defend themselves, instead of discussing something more intelligent.

Can we please move on to more educational stuff that isnt already covered in COMMON SENSE. Its not my fault that some people choose to do things like that than POST the video. Let the individual officers take care of that behavior, and lets discuss more mature topics.

Thank You.

Moose

PS- I was merely pointing out that the truck was motionless and in no way taking a crack at you brother. Further more, do we know the driver was drinking also? And do we know these firefighters responded to a call shortly after this video was taken? Thats my point...No one knows 100% of the facts...therefor we shouldnt be taking shots at them and making assumptions.

The guys on st patty day arent driving around in rigs! Messing with gear that someones life is counting on! Unless you know and have seen?

I agree with you that they are messing with life safety equipment and thats wrong. Alright I'll give you that they are just marching around but what about incidents like in Boston when two firefighters that were recently killed in a fire were found to have drugs in their system...I'm not playing the paid vs. volly card I am just saying it happens on both sides and there are serious reprocutions on both sides.

I almost wish I caught that clip before it was taken down. I was a member of the before mentioned department for 12 years and am still an honorary member there. I might've been able to get some answers as to what went on and what repercussions there were. It's tough for me to ask when I don't know what was on the net, but I will ask the Chief anyway when I see him tomorrow.

I never really understood the whole drinking and FD thing. Our Dept. has an unwritten (of course) policy of two drinks and you can't ride but to me that makes no sense. If you've had a drink, stay off the rig. I know people say that a member will have a drink at home and then come out for an alarm but I don't think that thats any better.

Drinking and firefighting don't mix.

I've said this before, my current department has a written no alcohol policy. Thats none in the firehouse or the property, not at department sponsored events or if you are at another department representing our department, no alcohol. Pretty clear right? If we are going on a run and I smell it on your breath I will tell you to get off my truck. I don't care if you are an officer. Won't get off. It's time to call the PD because now your putting peoples lives in danger.

Edited by DOC22

It seems clear to me that the fire sservice in general is and should be held to that highter standard when we put on that uniform, we are repersenting the fire service as a whole. Be the smart firefighter.

I have spent 40 years in the fire service please represent me where ever you go with respect and honor, all the brothers and sisters that have gone before you deserve the respect of the uniform.

just my thoughts

You missed my point sir. I am stating that Im tired of seeing critiques of youtube videos on this site. Is everyone getting that desperate? I like this site because we have INTELLIGENT conversation about important topics. I dont like to see some of our members going around LOOKING for things to pick apart, instead of starting a decent and educational discussion about something thats not going to start the "Paid Vs. Volly" or "Bashing" thing.

I have 20 years in the service, and I am VERY professional. But I have also seen HUNDREDS of firefighters everywhere, at parades, drinking beer afterwords in the "Beer Tents", using "Beer Tickets" issued to them at the start of the parade. I have never, EVER, supported this behavior or tolerated it. In my post, if you had paid attention to it, I clearly stated how we work here in my dept. and that the behavior isnt tolerated.

What I wanted people to see is that its getting real pathetic to see everyone posting youtube videos, and taking needless shots at brothers/sisters who are not here to defend themselves, instead of discussing something more intelligent.

Can we please move on to more educational stuff that isnt already covered in COMMON SENSE. Its not my fault that some people choose to do things like that than POST the video. Let the individual officers take care of that behavior, and lets discuss more mature topics.

Thank You.

Moose

PS- I was merely pointing out that the truck was motionless and in no way taking a crack at you brother. Further more, do we know the driver was drinking also? And do we know these firefighters responded to a call shortly after this video was taken? Thats my point...No one knows 100% of the facts...therefor we shouldnt be taking shots at them and making assumptions.

I have found several very useful video's on youtube that i have passed on to the rest of my dept. This one could be of use to show what not to do and how big a deal it can become when posted.

As for assuming, they are drinking in an apparatus, they are using fire dept safety equipment for fun, and it did wind up on the internet because somebody on that apparatus let that happen. if that is taking shots at somebody good, they deserve it.

Other than that no problems on this end brother. stay safe and I am off this topic

Listen that **** doesnt happen were i work! John Q public doesnt see it because it doesnt happen. A couple guys in the FDNY(out of 11,000) have issues but dont go and tell me to get my head out of the sand. By the way the members from the FDNY lost their jobs because of things.More and more you hear of some dumbass volly setting a fire, crashing his car drunk responding and scamming the funds i can go on and on. Drinking DID happen and it was a problem but it doesnt now. We can lose our jobs,pensions and possible our lives. The vols get to go to the next parade and the next big fire with no actions against them. Great to be the taxpayer in that area huh. But your probably one of the guys who thinks that when the volly dept cant get out a rig its no big deal just keep recruiting guys who dont show up!

OK, I happen to agree with your point, but I don't agree with your "more holy than thou" attitude. Have you ever been to NYC on St. Patrick's Day and seen what idiots career firefighters make out of themselves in uniform? That's not just in bars, but in the streets in public and it isn't just the FDNY; it's several area department members that either parade or come down in uniform.

As a volunteer fire officer, I would have an absolute fit if my department was involved in antics regarding alcohol and the fire apparatus after a parade. The guys drink after parades, which is fine, and I personally think that most in the public don't mind it so long as it's well policed. After all, these are the men and women that get out of bed to protect our communities; they deserve a couple days of fun (I know other areas have more parades, but we generally only have a couple per year in Orange County). However, there is a line. Alcohol on the vehicle or things that threaten the safety of our personnel and equipment would not be tolerated. If you think we let this happen and allow members to "go to the next fire or parade", you're wrong.

OK, I happen to agree with your point, but I don't agree with your "more holy than thou" attitude. Have you ever been to NYC on St. Patrick's Day and seen what idiots career firefighters make out of themselves in uniform? That's not just in bars, but in the streets in public and it isn't just the FDNY; it's several area department members that either parade or come down in uniform.

As a volunteer fire officer, I would have an absolute fit if my department was involved in antics regarding alcohol and the fire apparatus after a parade. The guys drink after parades, which is fine, and I personally think that most in the public don't mind it so long as it's well policed. After all, these are the men and women that get out of bed to protect our communities; they deserve a couple days of fun (I know other areas have more parades, but we generally only have a couple per year in Orange County). However, there is a line. Alcohol on the vehicle or things that threaten the safety of our personnel and equipment would not be tolerated. If you think we let this happen and allow members to "go to the next fire or parade", you're wrong.

That was very well said, and I agree with you. That is the way I feel, If you want to relax after a parade, have a few beers and have fun, thats fine...But make sure its out of uniform, and your not in charge of a truck or part of the responding crew. Usually we assign people to trucks so if there is a fire they respond and there isnt total chaos with dozens of guys running for the truck at once. ( I aint kiddin, Ive seen it and it terrified me!! 2 dozen firefighters running for the truck, and I was in the front!)

Think Responsibly, and professionally, and use some common sense when representing your dept and the fire service. Just think of all of the articles in the paper about firefighters getting in trouble and the grief it causes the fire service in general before you pick up that beer. I do it all the time, I march, or drive the truck in the parade, than disrobe from my uniform, put the truck back at station and in service, than return to the parade and relax. I guess some of us just dont have the patience and just have to drink asap. Ruins it for the rest of us.

Last weekend I was talking to a guy I just met. We were at a function where everyone, except me and a dog, were drinking. (NOT AT A FIREHOUSE!) He said to me, "Oh, that's right, you're a Fire Chief so you can't. That's gotta suck especially since all you guys do is drink at the firehouse, right?"

I felt my blood pressure go up and answered him as best I could. "Actually, I come from a firehouse where we closed our bar a few years ago and stopped selling beer. It made some people leave but in the end, our best members are still there."

I was waiting for his reply but he finished his drink and wandered off to get another one.

I used to hear this crap back in High School. Guys I knew asked me if it was true that all we did was sit around the station and get boozed up. Even back then, in the 90's, there wasn't much in our firehouse. Now it's virtually non-existent.

Did anyone happen to download this clip off of You Tube and save it?

I know a Chief from the before mentioned accused Department that would like to see it.

He, nor any of his fellow Chiefs have any knowledge of this video or incident and he is very interested in seeing it.

I know this may get erased and some of you are going to pull the volly vs. career crap but honestly this kind of stuff does not happen in a career departments. We would most likely be fired. There are no real repercussions for this stupidity in volly departments and there should be. Could these morons be kicked out? Would the tax payer like to see this? These are just my feelings if you dont like it oh well!

I think that ETOH can be a problem in any house, career, volunteer or combination. There is plenty of press to support that. It is up to management to establish policies and enforce them to prevent these types of situations. Volunteers may have parades, but career houses have issues as well. No one is immune. But, we need to limit the problem.

That video was retarded with the beer or without. I've done stupid stuff, but never moronic like that!

I come from a few generations of firefighers and I have to say that I was brought up to always feel strange with a drink in my hand in uniform, be it at a holiday or during a "coalition". I think it was hammered into my head for so long that I carry my guilt with me to this day. Having said that, I know I have been a part of some pretty suspect activities 20 or so years ago, but we all know our time has changed and we are held to a higher standard and we are always being videographed or photographed and it only takes seconds to post a picture that can ruin a 20 year career. Simply put, we need to use our heads and act like the professionals people depend upon.

JVC

I'm gonna build a little on Ed's post. Thankfully, this thread wasn't locked before I could expound on it. (Thank you Seth and mods) This is what I see, a bunch of kids from LIDsville being stupid. Doesn't matter where it is, it paints the fire service AS A WHOLE as unprofessional.

Let's knock it off with this paid vs. vollie Schmutz already. As a member of this forum who is neither(former vollie, present paid dispatcher), it's getting a little tiresome. There's a video out there called "Posting and You" Maybe somebody should make a video like it and put it on YouTube so people who have some shred of common sense will think twice before putting something online that could get them in some trouble, or make them look like bigger idiots than they are.

whats lidsville......