Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Drinking in the rig at the parade?

76 posts in this topic

WOW!!! And this is the reason why people think that we are just beer drinking good ole boys.. And I have to say, that has got to be the dumbest group of people, and I feel dumber for having sat there and watched it.

JERKS!!!!!!!

Know I know why civilians always think of firefighters as beer drinkers and a******* at parades. If that was our firedepartment the Firechief would of suspended all of us. There is a time and a place for that. We even have a unwritten policy for parades. If your going to drink and be a a** take of your uniform and put civilian clothes on. The Firechiefs in our department have zero tolerence for any alcohol abuse

Wow... That was pretty rediculous.

And then when they go to use one in a Fire and the things Dead...hmmm

I know this may get erased and some of you are going to pull the volly vs. career crap but honestly this kind of stuff does not happen in a career departments. We would most likely be fired. There are no real repercussions for this stupidity in volly departments and there should be. Could these morons be kicked out? Would the tax payer like to see this? These are just my feelings if you dont like it oh well!

Edited by efd184

Know I know why civilians always think of firefighters as beer drinkers and a******* at parades. If that was our firedepartment the Firechief would of suspended all of us. There is a time and a place for that. The Firechiefs in our department have zero tolerence for any alcohol abuse

i "We even have a unwritten policy for parades. If your going to drink and be a a** take of your uniform and put civilian clothes on."

I tried not to respond but.... great that you have such a rule, BUT WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE THE a**. THAT IS USUALLY RESERVED FOR EVERYBODY ELSE.

As for the video, there was more than enough a** to pass around, was it the firefighter drinking, the fact that someone turned on the pass alarm, the rest of the guys who thought they were having fun, the "officer" who should have been in the front seat and in charge of the apparatus, the driver for driving with all that distraction, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE a****** WHO SHOT THE VIDEO,PUT IT ON U-TUBE, AND BROUGHT DISGRACE TO HIS WHOLE DEPT.

STUPID CAN NOT BE TAUGHT

Only 1 phrase comes to mind "You can't fix stupid!"

I know this may get erased and some of you are going to pull the volly vs. career crap but honestly this kind of stuff does not happen in a career departments. We would most likely be fired. There are no real repercussions for this stupidity in volly departments. These are just my feelings if you dont like it oh well!

Now I can say ,I SEEN IT ALL, Why do people cont. to put on more and more videos on you tube to show how stupid they really are, videos like this is why OSHA and lawyers are having a field day on the fire service.

somerandomfireman (6 months ago)

Reply wow. i'm sure your chief would love to see this one. lol

Ding1720 (5 months ago)

the chief joined us about 2 min after we made this video lol

DIng1720 is the "firefighter" that posted this video. This was one of his replies on youtube. Glad to see his Chief takes the safety of his members seriously.

Not only does Hess have a point about battery life, I'm SURE their ears must have been ringing after that. Noise Inducing Hearing Loss may occur at 85dB, and Scott states that the PASS is 95dB.

It's people like those that shouldn't be allowed to take the tests to become a career firefighter, or if they already are, they should be fired. Obviously, they don't take this JOB seriously, and whoever posted the video likes to flaunt it. I hold the officer and Chief responsible for this as well, as I know many Chiefs are aware of this practice.

I wonder if there was any discipline dished out.

I know this may get erased and some of you are going to pull the volly vs. career crap but honestly this kind of stuff does not happen in a career departments. We would most likely be fired. There are no real repercussions for this stupidity in volly departments and there should be. Could these morons be kicked out? Would the tax payer like to see this? These are just my feelings if you dont like it oh well!

Unfortunately, yes this thing does happen in career houses as well, but as you mention it is a lot easier to discpline in a career system. Personally, if I was a taxpayer in this district I would want something done. Definate suspensions and a change in policy... no more alcohol on apparatus. Could even take it one more step....NYPD bans all members from drinking in uniform,(on or off duty), and all bosses are required to take action if something is observed with a member (also applies to bosses being off duty).

although doing the robot to the pass alarm is unique, drinking in the rig is unfortunately not.

i see the guys youtube name is ding1720 as in dingbat

that truely is a disgrace. what kinda person would sit there and watch that, tape it and then post it, likes its something to be proud of. now a days nothing really surprises me anymore.

Not in a career department? Your kiding right? Lets just look at NYC. The Animal House in the Bronx. Drinking, sex. OK lets look at Staten Island, the FF who got hit over the head with a kitchen chair. Drinking was a problem in both cases. Don't say drinking in the fire house on duty doesn't happen. Thats the same as a high school administrator who says there are no drugs in their school. Get your head out of the sand (bet everyone was thinging I'd say something else) Career of Volunteer doens't matter. Its there but at least the career guys keep it in the hjouse not out in the street where John Q Public can see.

although doing the robot to the pass alarm is unique, drinking in the rig is unfortunately not.

i see the guys youtube name is ding1720 as in dingbat

I find that anyone still doing the "robot dance" is alarming enough. But drinking in the truck? How stupid can you be. Should result in immediate expulsion and demotion for any officer allowing this to take place. And if the Chief didn't do anything about it, fire him!

Not in a career department? Your kiding right? Lets just look at NYC. The Animal House in the Bronx. Drinking, sex. OK lets look at Staten Island, the FF who got hit over the head with a kitchen chair. Drinking was a problem in both cases. Don't say drinking in the fire house on duty doesn't happen. Thats the same as a high school administrator who says there are no drugs in their school. Get your head out of the sand (bet everyone was thinging I'd say something else) Career of Volunteer doens't matter. Its there but at least the career guys keep it in the hjouse not out in the street where John Q Public can see.

Listen that **** doesnt happen were i work! John Q public doesnt see it because it doesnt happen. A couple guys in the FDNY(out of 11,000) have issues but dont go and tell me to get my head out of the sand. By the way the members from the FDNY lost their jobs because of things.More and more you hear of some dumbass volly setting a fire, crashing his car drunk responding and scamming the funds i can go on and on. Drinking DID happen and it was a problem but it doesnt now. We can lose our jobs,pensions and possible our lives. The vols get to go to the next parade and the next big fire with no actions against them. Great to be the taxpayer in that area huh. But your probably one of the guys who thinks that when the volly dept cant get out a rig its no big deal just keep recruiting guys who dont show up!

Ahhhh, stupidty........And I am sure they thought it was hillarious. Guess this goes right along with the story on the FDNY being requested not to participate in the St. Pat's Day parade down in Georgia because of drunken and disorderly conduct.

Being stupid is one thing, being drunk and stupid in uniform, Career or Volunteer, is unacceptable and should not be condoned or tolerated.

To AJSBear you site 2 incidents within the FDNY where better judgement was clouded by alcohol and the outcome was a severe black eye to the entire department. What you fail to point out is the penalties that followed to all parties involved. Terminations, transfers, suspensions and loss of pay. That is what EFD stated in his post that altough these things do occasionally go on in career depts, there is swift and severe punishment that often discourages such behavior. Guys on every level whether career or volly want to be reffered to as professionals, Ive seen 2 videos this week that I would say are far from professional. The fire service is known as a para-military organization which means its members are held to a certain standard, and are expected to act accordingly. It just seems in many places career or volly the self discipline of the members and the enforcment of superiors has gone by the way side. As always its JMO and Im not bashing anyone, I know there are some members on here with onion skin.

Drinking DID happen and it was a problem but it doesnt now.

so you really think no drinks have been consumed since then??? riiiiight...and there are no drungs in our high school either... :lol:

But your probably one of the guys who thinks that when the volly dept cant get out a rig its no big deal just keep recruiting guys who dont show up!

...have to agree too many don't consider it a big deal

I guess you used to never hang out in any fdny houses. It used to be bad in some houses.

Thanks efd for making this thread another "career vs. volley" one. Most of the guys agreeing with you were volunteer. This is why many people don't post on this site anymore. Drinking has no place in the fire fire service whatsoever, career or volunteer. I think we can and should all agree on that.

Let's just leave it at that.

No career guys don't get blasted and carry on. Did anyone see the Daily News article today with regards to the Savannah GA. St Paddy's Day Parade? The only difference is yes, it's usually dealt with in a professional manner by the top brass or a Parade Committee unfortunately. Damn I was looking so forward to it! :angry:

Edited by FirNaTine

it is amazing how this even turned into a career vs vollie issue. This is more a leadership and youth issue. The leadership of this Dept allowed this in the first place by not having strict guidelines forbidding drinking and riding any apparatus parade or not. The second problem is todays youth, instant stardom if i can post something with my name attached on the internet.

EFD like it or not there is enough stupidity on both sides of the fire service to go around. It is a small part of the fire service that causes the black eye for the rest of us that try to do the right thing and not disgrace the patch on our uniform.

it is amazing how this even turned into a career vs vollie issue. This is more a leadership and youth issue. The leadership of this Dept allowed this in the first place by not having strict guidelines forbidding drinking and riding any apparatus parade or not. The second problem is todays youth, instant stardom if i can post something with my name attached on the internet.

EFD like it or not there is enough stupidity on both sides of the fire service to go around. It is a small part of the fire service that causes the black eye for the rest of us that try to do the right thing and not disgrace the patch on our uniform.

I think this sums up the feelings of everyone.

But I don't know what to do? Do I lock this thread, and get blasted by some people? Or do I keep it open, and get blasted by some people?

I think if I locked this thread, it would be the equivelent of "sweeping this topic under the rug". That doesn't do anything justice. The more these issues are pointed out and discussed, the more aware and concious people become of it. I think it slowly brings change, except for those who would rather get defensive, sling mud, and pretend it doesn't happen. If we don't talk about it, does that mean the problem doesn't exist?

Can a career firefighter point out that a volunteer firefighter is held to different standards without being labled "anti-volunteer"? No one bothered to post a constructive response to that, rather people decided to dig up incidents about career firefighters that were completly irrelevant to this discussion. Maybe they should be labled "pro-proper conduct"? Some people should pause, read what people are typing, think about it, THEN respond.

It's sad that for some people it's more about ego then THE PUBLIC WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PROTECTING!

Please note though, the personal bickering and profanity needs to end now.

Seth, I say leave it open. It is a situation where both sides have been guilty and there are lessons to be learned. It is a good "what not to do" to the young members of this site who one day will join a career or volunteer company.

Members of Fire/EMS/Police are stopped for DWI (in POV's) with more frequency then most people will ever realize. This includes paid and volunteer ranks. It’s a HUGE problem.

There is probably an above frequency of FDNY and NYPD members, for no other reason than they’re what, 50,000+ of them. The law of averages suggests they would get stopped the most, there are just so many more of them.

Anyone who believes career fire, volunteer fire, career EMS, volunteer EMS, and law enforcement are immune from DWI, you are mistaken.

I can speak from extensive experience in this matter, not innuendo, rumor, etc.