Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest paramedico987

LODD-Mount Vernon Police

17 posts in this topic

At approximately 17:00 on 1/25/2008 Mount Vernon Police Department Officer Christopher A. Ridley [23] was shot and killed in an altercation in the city of White Plains, New York, by uniformed Police Officers. The exact details are not publicly available at this time, however it seems [based upon witness descriptions] that he was intervening in a dispute on a public street and was not identified as a law enforcement official to Officers from the Westchester County Police, who shot him. Ridley was not in uniform at the time of the incident.

Funeral arrangements to follow when available.

It is still unclear if he was breaking up a dispute or not...if that is the case, than he assumed duties as a sworn police officer and took action therefore considered LODD. This is not uncommon, years ago a Yonkers PD officer walked into a robbery in progress of a store and was shot and killed as he tried to stop it. He was off duty until he began to act on the crime in progress.

Regardless how it will be labeled officially, still an extremly trying situation for both the WP officers and the MV officers as well as the family. Best wishes to all.

Regardless how it will be labeled officially, still an extremly trying situation for both the WP officers and the MV officers as well as the family. Best wishes to all.

Westchester County PD not White Plains PD

Rest in Peace Brother.

This is without question, one of the worst things that could happen for a police officer who must make a split second decission only to find out that that the decission may have been a tragic error. Officer Ridley, RIP, the fact you reacted when off duty showed you had great character and a love and respect for the job. This was without question a line of duty death. The officers who were forced to react are undoubtedly in great pain, a pain they may never get over. They will need support like no one could imagine and I for one will do what I can to offer it to them. I am confident the rest of the emergency services community will do the same.

RIP Officer, and God bless to all those involved.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE!

Heartfelt thoughts go out to his family, friends, co-workers at Mount Vernon Police Department

and the Westchester County PD Police Officers involved.

I can't imagine the pain everyone is going thru right now.

GOD BLESS!

Thoughts and Prayers to Officer Ridley's family, friends and coworkers at the Mount Vernon PD. May God watch over all involved, including the responding officers that fired.

My thoughts and prayers for Officer Ridley's family and friends. May he rest in peace and may his loved ones be given support at this difficult time.

an all around tragic situation. i just don't know why he didn't (supposedly) identify himself as off duty LEO???

I just read that funeral services are scheduled for 11:00 AM at Grace Baptist Church in Mt. Vernon NY this Friday.

how is this a LODD?

The current reports are that he was taking police action to stop an assault or some other kind of disturbance. As such, his actions were official in the capacity of a police officer and his death is therefore in the line of duty.

*** THIS IS BASED SOLELY ON MEDIA ACCOUNTS OF THE INCIDENT *** I have no firsthand knowledge about the incident or ongoing investigation.

RIP, Chris. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families (the Ridleys and the MVPD)!