Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gss131

Yonkers 3rd Alarm April 2004 Caught On Google Maps

24 posts in this topic

On Google map,punch in Elm St/Nepperhan Ave in Yonkers, 3 alarm job going when satellite snapped pic.Also looks another truck ad engine responding at riverdale and prospect.

Paste this into google maps, makes it a lot easier to find since you can't put in the cross street. Elm St @40.934228, -73.893038

April of 04'...it was a 3 alarm fire. By the way, this could be a great learning tool on how to position apparatus.

I think virtual earth, where you can change the angle youre looking at a spot you can see the home depot in greenburgh at different phases of construction, also 21 state street firehouse in ossining, the parking lot is striped in some shots and not the others. What you can find with a lot of free time!

I counted six ladder co's o/s and nine engine's and the rescue. With all the ladder co's o/s i would think it was mor ethen a 3rd. Can some advise when this fire was.

Thanks

04-17-04- 97 Elm St. 4th Alarm.

Even DFFD227 took pictures at this fire, but he's waaaayyy too cool for that now.

I counted six ladder co's o/s and nine engine's and the rescue. With all the ladder co's o/s i would think it was mor ethen a 3rd. Can some advise when this fire was.

Thanks

I was the Captain on the Rescue for this job. It was on a weekend maybe 4 years ago or so. We were out and responded from McLean Ave. when it came in. Fire started in the first floor or basement and spread up pipe chases- there was heavy fire in at least two apartments on each of the four floors when we arrived. It was at least a 3rd, maybe a 4th.

Thats a sweet find. There is 1 & 1 coming in from the corner of riverdale and prospect

you can even see how much hose was laid down.....goes way north up nepperhan

Thats a sweet find. There is 1 & 1 coming in from the corner of riverdale and prospect

In that shot it is a Tower Ladder and in the fire scene shot both T/L's are in. This must be from a different time frame.

you can even see how much hose was laid down.....goes way north up nepperhan

Probably had to get to a larger water main hydrant. In fire control we have hydrant maps, and the water department can also remind us where the larger mains may hit.

As for the 1 and 1 on Riv/Prospect, I would venture a guess that it is New Rochelle FD units coming back to Station 1 from another call with their guide. I am currently on vacation but will check when I get back to give more specifics from 4/17/2004, 97 Elm St and such.

As well, it was definitely a weekend, checked out the map of the Cacace center, can tell who was working...that is also kind of cool!

Now I have to check the GIS viewer also, because I think this is the map they used for that also!

Check out the traffic control points the YPD set up. To the north at Nepperhan/Ashburton (SB), to the east at Yonkers/Oak and Yonkers/Walnut (WB), and to the south is Nepperhan/Waverly St. (NB/EB). Another YPD cruiser is set up at the exit from 289 Nepperhan Av onto Nep from Walsh and War Memorial field, and another at Nep/Columbus near the U-turn where Yonkers Av/Nepperhan Av come together. And another one to the west at Palisade/Elm/New School Sts. Kind of sheds light on that thread that was going about the reporter crossing the line! We see here how big perimeters can really get just because of necessity for traffic control!

The ladder set up in the rear of the building is in the driveway adjacent to the YPD property at 40 Columbus Pl. It also seems like one of those rare occasions that the 2 tower ladders were first due back to back. There are no actual addresses in this way, but if other co's are out, it does occur.

Edited by Oswegowind

That is definitely New Ro on Riverdale then...E21 and TL11 per the incident alert thread posted! MVFD probably went to Station 13, but I am not sure.

WOW! Great timing on that capture!!! And that find!

Here are some photos that were posted on EMTBravo.com by photographers who used to be all over Yonkers incidents, and now, not so much, lol. LOL on what Truck4 has said.....Truck4 is probaly the only one who has consistently photographed Yonkers jobs over the past 10 years...everyone else seems to fade in and out.

DFFD227's: http://www.emtbravo.com/News/April04/041704.html (Too busy in front of the lens!)

x901's: http://www.emtbravo.com/News/April04/041704801.html (What happened to him! I think he gave up photography!)

And I believe they had another fire that day as well, in which New Rochelle TL-11 attended:

http://www.emtbravo.com/News/April04/041704A.html

Looks like Asst. Chief Smith had this job, he is great to work for and with! Very calm and always in control!

I think if you look like closely, it looks like there is a 10th engine hidden by the Elm Street wording in front the building. Anyone else see it, or is it just me?

ok, i was finally able to get the street names off and now i see the engine i was talking about. but if you have the street names on, there is an engine right under where it says elm st in front of the building.

ok, I gotta ask. how the hell did you find that! lololol