Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

Yonkers Fire Department Jobs from 80's on ..............

258 posts in this topic

Figured I would post these pix from YFD from the 80's on up. Many to come, if all like........

-1st up was a multiple alarm from the late 80's on McLean Ave, A 4-story brick with heavy fire on the top floor

post-182-1203535791.jpg

Edited by R1SmokeEater
sfrd18 likes this

Last from that job, TL's 71 & 75 ............

post-182-1203535939.jpg

Edited by R1SmokeEater
sfrd18 likes this

Last from that job, TL's 71 & 75 ............

That job is on the corner of Radford And McLean Ave, next to St Denis School

That job is on the corner of Radford And McLean Ave, next to St Denis School

Thanx, Went by what was on back of pic - I see it now !

Thanx, Went by what was on back of pic - I see it now !

HOLY COW !!!, I can remember that fire, I use to live right across the street from St. Denis School on Mclean Ave. in the 6 story brick, I remember the the fire house on Radford St. right around the corner there first due, but i can't remember the companys #.

HOLY COW !!!, I can remember that fire, I use to live right across the street from St. Denis School on Mclean Ave. in the 6 story brick, I remember the the fire house on Radford St. right around the corner there first due, but i can't remember the companys #.

4-Engine & 4-Truck, or E-304 & L-74 .....................

2-shots of TL-71 operating from a job on Warburton Ave. 9-14-88 .................

post-182-1203551507.jpg

Edited by R1SmokeEater
sfrd18 likes this

Awesome shots here too! Looks like a job was going! Question: Do 63 and 39 ever go to jobs on McLean with Yonkers, if needed or does YFD have exclusive jurisdiction over there? Thanks!

-Joe DA BUFF

We sometimes get em on jobs on the highways or accidents on the streets along the borders, never had them on a structure fire job that I can recall...usually it is just that both departments get calls for the same "area" cause people really don't know where they are! In other words, they are not dual dispatched.

I remember that building. My best friend from childhood (we're still good friends) lived on the second floor. It was a tiny, dark apartment. The kitchen window looked out on to the brick wall of the building next door. His dad, BTW, was a cook for many years over at Moon's take out on South Broadway (yes, they are Chinese). I'm talking early 70's here, I don't know if Moon's is there anymore, although I highly doubt it.

JP59 likes this

-Next up pix from a 2nd Alarm. January 24, 1990. Call came in for a fire around 5am. Building was a 2-1/2 story frame used as a recording studio with residences also within. Heavy fire on arrival of 1st due company (Engine-310). Ladder-70 setting up the Tiller ................

post-182-1203705401.jpg

sfrd18 likes this

Awesome shots here too! Looks like a job was going! Question: Do 63 and 39 ever go to jobs on McLean with Yonkers, if needed or does YFD have exclusive jurisdiction over there? Thanks!

-Joe DA BUFF

There was a job in the mid '80's which was on Spencer Av in the Bronx at the Yonkers border. Calls came into both Bronx CO and Yonkers' Fire Control since neighbors were calling on both sides. WNYF had pics in their magazine with the caption "Units from Yonkers FD and FDNY operated together at this equivalent of a 2nd alarm at Box...."

As Oswegowind mentioned, we have protocals set up where FDNY responds into Yonkers for MV fires and incidents on the Bronx River, the Thruway, the Saw Mill Northbound lanes up into Yonkers and Yonkers FD responds into NYC on the southbound lanes in NYC. It seems to provide good coverage and I've found good cooperation.

Keep them coming R1!

Edited by batt2

I think that 63 & 39 have been special called for M/A into larger jobs along the Yonkers/Bronx border. Does anyone know if they were one of the companies called for that large fire a few years ago on Bronx River Road? I know some engines and TLs were called to help spray some water.

I think that 63 & 39 have been special called for M/A into larger jobs along the Yonkers/Bronx border. Does anyone know if they were one of the companies called for that large fire a few years ago on Bronx River Road? I know some engines and TLs were called to help spray some water.

-Mutual aid from FDNY for 85 Bronx River Road was : (Firefighting & reliefs)

Engines: E-63, E-38, E-75,E- 94, E-45 , E-72 with Sat-2, E-69 & E-81

Ladders: L-39, TL-41, L-30, L-56, TL-51, TL-54

Chiefs: Battalion-18, B-15, B-19 Division-7 and the Field Com.

1-28-86, 2 pix from a small Metro North locomotive fire at the Yonkers Train station: Engine-303 and Ladder-71.................

post-182-1203888866.jpg

Edited by R1SmokeEater

There was a job in the mid '80's which was on Spencer Av in the Bronx at the Yonkers border. Calls came into both Bronx CO and Yonkers' Fire Control since neighbors were calling on both sides. WNYF had pics in their magazine with the caption "Units from Yonkers FD and FDNY operated together at this equivalent of a 2nd alarm at Box...."

As Oswegowind mentioned, we have protocals set up where FDNY responds into Yonkers for MV fires and incidents on the Bronx River, the Thruway, the Saw Mill Northbound lanes up into Yonkers and Yonkers FD responds into NYC on the southbound lanes in NYC. It seems to provide good coverage and I've found good cooperation.

Batt2 is this the fire ?

WNYF June 1985 issue supplied to PFP by DR104 Thanks

Photo by Tom Wanstall

post-23-1203898708.jpg

post-23-1203898827.jpg

post-23-1203898920.jpg

Batt2 is this the fire ?

That's it TR... Good find!!

Edited by batt2

Lil' Buddy,

Tom Wanstall is spinning in his grave. He had a rule that he would never publish a pic showing an innefective stream like the one coming out of TL-75, because in his mind, people wouldn't understand and would assume the brothers were screwing up.

I still love you though.

post-23-1203905543.jpg