Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

Yonkers Fire Department Jobs from 80's on ..............

258 posts in this topic

Lil' Buddy,

Tom Wanstall is spinning in his grave. He had a rule that he would never publish a pic showing an innefective stream like the one coming out of TL-75, because in his mind, people wouldn't understand and would assume the brothers were screwing up.

I still love you though.

Chief, I think it was just being supplied .......... ;)

I know it's a stretch, but has anyone ever come across photos of the big South Broadway fire in June of 1976? Four stores, directly across from the old Park Hill theatre. Damn, that was a big one. I was walking home from and saw it from the beginning. The whole southwest section of the city was choked by smoke.

Another commercial block went up in the late 70s or early 80s at Valentine lane and S. Broadway.

1992 - W/F on Warburton Ave, Fully involved huge garage in the rear of occupied frames ...............

post-182-1204156766.jpg

Does anyone have photos of a garage fire that happened behind some m/d's on morningside ave? This happened in the summer in the early 90's I think. Sorry for the poor info.

There was a job in the mid '80's which was on Spencer Av in the Bronx at the Yonkers border. Calls came into both Bronx CO and Yonkers' Fire Control since neighbors were calling on both sides. WNYF had pics in their magazine with the caption "Units from Yonkers FD and FDNY operated together at this equivalent of a 2nd alarm at Box...."

As Oswegowind mentioned, we have protocals set up where FDNY responds into Yonkers for MV fires and incidents on the Bronx River, the Thruway, the Saw Mill Northbound lanes up into Yonkers and Yonkers FD responds into NYC on the southbound lanes in NYC. It seems to provide good coverage and I've found good cooperation.

Keep them coming R1!

Just to clarify, the only spot where there is an automatic aid agreement on the books is Bronx Box 8999. The Bronx River Pkwy between 233 and the city line. It's 63, 39 and the 15 going north, 313, 73, batt. 2(??) and R-1 coming south. If we get something on the Mosholu Extension(which goes into the Saw Mill),Deegan or anywhere near the city line, I'll give YFD the courtesy call if I am working.

PS, awesome shots.

Edited by JBE

Does anyone have pictures from the carpet warehouse fire on Nepperhan Ave from I think it was 93 or 94? I was at school just up the block from there and looked out the window and saw the huge smoke column. I almost ran out of the school to see what was going on.

Does anyone have pictures from the carpet warehouse fire on Nepperhan Ave from I think it was 93 or 94? I was at school just up the block from there and looked out the window and saw the huge smoke column. I almost ran out of the school to see what was going on.

I do, but not scanned in....plus they were the day after....

For those interested the FDNY has mutual aid boxes assigned for Yonkers the companies go to the quarters of E-81 and assemble then respond to wherever needed. Also a box is sent to have companies respond to E-63 quarters if it is on that side of yonkers. I believe 2 times in last 4 or 5 years FDNY has assisted Yonkers. (Bronx River Rd. and Oak St)

Thomas K. Wanstall book called Fire In Focus an action portfolio Has some great Yonkers working fire pic

Thomas K. Wanstall book called Fire In Focus an action portfolio Has some great Yonkers working fire pic

1991 pic - Jackson St. 2nd Alarm, E-303 & TL-71 (w/ spare) and Tom in pic ................

post-182-1204648811.jpg

I want to know it anyone has pictures of a fire on South Broadway it was in a row of stores next to Top Tomato. The fire I think was in the early 90’s?

I want to know it anyone has pictures of a fire on South Broadway it was in a row of stores next to Top Tomato. The fire I think was in the early 90’s?

-I worked that job, it was a 3rd Alarm in Winter of 1993. It was a taxpayer fire that started in a Bar under renovation. It spread to several stores, before we stopped it at the Baba Pharmacy. I have it on vid somewhere, but no pix

-I worked that job, it was a 3rd Alarm in Winter of 1993. It was a taxpayer fire that started in a Bar under renovation. It spread to several stores, before we stopped it at the Baba Pharmacy. I have it on vid somewhere, but no pix

Wasn't this job on the cover of the Herald Statesman? I have it somewhere....

Speaking of South Broadway (mid-80's), I remember the A&P fires (2 of them) at S B'way X Ludlow and the row of stores across the street from there, when the Mexican bakery was where Ponchitos is now.

Wasn't this job on the cover of the Herald Statesman? I have it somewhere....

That job was on the Cover of Herald Statesman.

I use to live on South Broadway. I was 8 that the time of that fire happened. I also remember the fire were Park Hill Theatre is at.

That job was on the Cover of Herald Statesman.

I use to live on South Broadway. I was 8 that the time of that fire happened. I also remember the fire were Park Hill Theatre is at.

I was at the fire at the Park Hill Theatre. We asked FDNY to come up with their High-Ex Foam unit since the fire was in the basement under a collapsed first floor. They did respond. I don't know if anyone got pics, though.

-Here's a pic .....................

post-182-1204912152.jpg

EXDC203 likes this

Great Pictures nice to see.

Thanks for the pic.... now I feel old I was 8 when that fire happened :). R1SmokeEater which company were you working that day. The tower ladder is the old 71? That was my favored piece of Yonkers Apparatus.

Yonkers NY

post-23-1205062130.jpg

Yonkers NY

post-23-1205062409.jpg

Yonkers NY

-TR, That's the "Carpet Shop" job - Nepperhan between Lake & Axeminster St. 1995

Ok here are some that I shot at the Carpet Factory Fire.

post-1209-1205088032.jpg

Not the best just scanned them sorry.

post-1209-1205088101.jpg

and more

post-1209-1205088174.jpg

More

post-1209-1205088239.jpg

Last one for now till I scan the rest.

post-1209-1205088308.jpg