Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Would Real Names For Usernames Work?

53 posts in this topic

Members-

I've been doing some thinking, and wanted to bounce the idea of of you.

Should EMTBravo.net take the next step and set the precedent in making our users use their real name? No more hiding behind a fictiocous screename, and standing behind your posts with your name?

Or would this move discourage members from posting?

Of course, we would allow members to use their first name and last intiial, or first name and shield number, etc. We'd also have to come up with a way for members who have simiar name to differentiate themselves.

I feel this move would hold members to a higher standard, resulting in more quality posts and more of a "community atmosphere". I also think it would cut down signifcantly on a loy

Or, do you think members build an identity with their screename, and allows them to express themelves without the fear of reprocussion?

Should we create a premium memberhip level for those who want to use their real names?

What do you think? THIS IS AN IDEA ONLY, OPEN TO MEMBER BRAINSTORMING!! THIS IS NOT BEING IMPLEMENTED!

-Seth G.

I think the screen name thing works. If you personalize it and Joe Public signs on it may send the wrong impression if theyre not familiar with the "vibe" of emergency service personell. And, as has happened before, the newspaper has quoted this website, imagine if someone commented on something and it showed up in the news paper the next day as "according to Officer Smith of the county police..."? Some people would be looking for jobs.

Edited by OnTheWheel

I think the screen name thing works. If you personalize it and Joe Public signs on it may send the wrong impression if theyre not familiar with the "vibe" of emergency service personell. And, as has happened before, the newspaper has quoted this website, imagine if someone commented on something and it showed up in the news paper the next day as "according to Officer Smith of the county police..."? Some people would be looking for jobs.

That is a great point and that is just what you need. Being quoted in public for something you said.

We already set this precedent on Rockland Fires. We've had this in place since last August, with many members voluntarily identifying themselves since the site started in 2006. You are required to put your agency and first/last name in your profile for all to see when you register, and only the admins can edit these fields so no one can change it after the fact. You can use whatever user/screen name you wish, as long as your profile identifies you. I see no benefit to forcing people to use their real names as their user/screen names, when the profile is a click away.

The board is also closed to guests, you must register to get in. We have deleted tons of accounts that don't comply since then. We also delete inactive/abandoned accounts that haven't logged on in 6 or more months. It has worked well for us, and frankly, we don't really care if we turn some people away because of it. That is the LEAST of our concerns. Chance are pretty high that if someone is reluctant to post because they are identified, we don't want to hear what they have to say anyway. We'd rather have a smaller number of quality posters than an inflated membership roster full of lurkers or anonymous cowards who spew negative garbage.

Ask yourself this: Would you go around in public with a paper bag over your head concealing your identity just so you could rail about whatever was pissing you off? Or insulting other people? Of course not.

By the way, it still doesn't stop some people from running their mouths. But at least you know who they are when they post.

Edited by res6cue

The way I look at it is...Your name is on your BUTT at a fire scene and you have a mouth... What are we hiding here? If you think what you say or are going to say is questionable...THEN DON"T SAY IT. Think before you open your mouth

I think if you're going to post things on here that have to do with a third party's actual or purported illness - like the case on one of the missing posts in which a local fire fighter was described as being an alcoholic, yet was not afforded the chance to either confirm or deny this speculation - then you should put your name on the post. Everyone here has a persona, just like a screen name on myspace or AIM; however, when person x says "Joe Smith is an alcoholic and had to go to rehab," you're in a very sticky place. Not only are we circumventing that good old HIPPA law that is cited here ad nauseum, we're dabbling in diagnosis, which we're not allowed to do. How do we know that Joe Smith wasn't simply diabetic with a constant hypoglycemic problem? You know, there's a reason why we're not allowed to cast off people as drunks in the field; ask yourself how many times someone's arrested for suspected DUI and then they wind up dead the next morning? Without conclusive breath or blood analysis, you can't rule anything in or out, so how does that give anyone the right to say that Joe Smith is an alcoholic? Whether or not someone has an alcohol problem is between them, their job, their union, their family, and their God, if they so choose to worship one. It's a private matter, and certainly not one for any loudmouth to air.

So in short, if you're going to post trash like that, then post your name, too. At least that way, you'll show some semblance of manhood.

And I'm sure I'm gonna get suspended or banned for this post and my other one, which as far as I'm concerned, wouldn't be a bad punishment.

The way I look at it is...Your name is on your BUTT at a fire scene and you have a mouth... What are we hiding here? If you think what you say or are going to say is questionable...THEN DON"T SAY IT. Think before you open your mouth

The internet exists and still operates on the idea that you CAN be anonymous. I think that mandatory identification is a horrible idea.

The usernames work fine. However the premiun member level idea sounds good to me.

I already have my name in my profile, my screen name is just a part of me, something I have had for a long time and reminds me of my college days and some other stuff that I will not post about! I am not afraid that people know who I am when I speak, there are groups on here that know each other pretty well even with a screen name, because it is obvious who we are, we are the one's that are never afraid to speak up to anyone when we something is dead wrong, and we are also the one's who recognize a need for change when we are criticized. If someone wants to hide behind a screen name, let them, that is their prerogative! Once, again, I am not afraid of what I say here! What needs to be done is that each individual needs to be accountable to them self first, if you can't accept criticism pointed at you, don't post here criticizing others! Anytime I speak up, it is to help someone else, not to hurt them! If I see a department or individual acting in a manner less than safe or correct, I will not hesitate to speak my mind, even if they don't learn from it, someone else will! This is not the 70's and 80's, this is the 21st century, you can be sued for anything, start acting right and doing things the way they are supposed to and LIVE!

I like the idea of a name and not a screen name I like to know who is talking.

Thanks

CPAGE

The internet exists and still operates on the idea that you CAN be anonymous. I think that mandatory identification is a horrible idea.

And it's a very flawed premise. It's part of the reason why society is the way it is today. In any case, suggesting that just because something "is the way it is" therefore should remain that way (for better or worse...worse in this case) isn't very progressive thinking. I wholeheartedly disagree that the Internet should remain a place where you can be anonymous and spew whatever negative and hateful garbage you want without fear of repercussion. Not to mention I'm not convinced that was the original intent of the Internet at all, it's just what it has BECOME. Big difference.

Haha my user name already is my name, first initial and last name, and personally I dont mind having it that way.

Personal security is my primary concern when on the internet. If this site is willing to put that at risk, then this will be time to more on.

I don't think it matters much either way, however just a quick look at the thread on how people came up with their usernames shows that for the most part they are well thought out and have meaning to us. In my case I use the same username on several fire related forums, so it has become part of my identity in the Emergency Services. Of course I have my name in my signature, so I am not trying to hide anything.

Personal security is my primary concern when on the internet. If this site is willing to put that at risk, then this will be time to more on.

Agreed.

I'll be blunt I am against having to put your real name in public place on this site ( or any othe site). How will it be checked/ verified?

Some people are fine with everyone knowing who they are and some are not. I would be done posting here if that was the case.

And it's a very flawed premise. It's part of the reason why society is the way it is today. In any case, suggesting that just because something "is the way it is" therefore should remain that way (for better or worse...worse in this case) isn't very progressive thinking. I wholeheartedly disagree that the Internet should remain a place where you can be anonymous and spew whatever negative and hateful garbage you want without fear of repercussion. Not to mention I'm not convinced that was the original intent of the Internet at all, it's just what it has BECOME. Big difference.

What 'insults' are we talking about here? I keep seeing people post that 'horrible filth' is posted about people here but I don't see it. We AREN'T posting anonymously at this point anyway, the moderators/admins have access to our names and departments, so anything truly 'out of line' is traceable. I just don't see the point, but I'll guess I'll just bury my head in the sand again and believe that having someone's first name and department will keep the 'evil comments' off of an internet message board. :unsure:

People chose their SNs for a reason. This is how they feel they identify themselves in the online setting. Some use their real names, or variations of their name (initials, first initial, last name, etc...) because that is how they identify themselves.

I feel that usernames should be whatever the person chooses. Just my $0.02.

the people i deal w/ already know who i am and im not worried about people i don't know, so sure, in my opinion, using real names would work.

People chose their SNs for a reason. This is how they feel they identify themselves in the online setting. Some use their real names, or variations of their name (initials, first initial, last name, etc...) because that is how they identify themselves.

I feel that usernames should be whatever the person chooses. Just my $0.02.

I'll add two cents to that! :blink:

I like the idea of Usernames. :P

Everyone knows RWC130! lol

I think having to show your name might turn people away,

which is a concern! Not because you want to bash someone or say something stupid

rather as mentioned now you are John Doe from Billy Joe Bob Rescue Squad.

You could find yourself in a jam!

We need to promote EMTBravo and not scare people away.

We all know once you make a comment with your name and or agency

you are now opening the flood gates to a nice phone call from your Chief or Captain.

"Hey Idiot, Why the (removed) did you say that on EMTBravo" ???

I am sure if we needed to find out who someone was we have some connections

to call the MIB's (Men In Black) LOL!

This message will self-destruct in five seconds!

I'd have to agree that user created screennames are the way to go. People create unique identities or relate themselves to things that are important to them this way and I don't think compelling people to use their names will have any benefit to this site.

AGREED!

Real names... oh dear. Not sure about that at all. I'm not hiding - anyone who knows me in real life will work out who I am in anything from five seconds to two minutes, depending on how well they know me. But....

1. If you're going to make people use real names, you introduce a complication: you damn well HAVE to introduce a cast-iron method of ID verification. Short of everyone walking up to Seth in person and showing their FD ID, I'm not quite sure how that would be implemented. (The reason is obvious: if it becomes accepted that everyone here is using their real names, then what's to prevent any troublemaker coming on, creating an account using the real name of someone else, and posting ten kinds of s*** in their name?)

2. I disagree with some other posters who suggest there's no need for anonymity on the net - or on this site. Firefighting is hazardous, and on occasion political - both can lead to a need to discuss safety implications and that's sometimes best done anonymously. Aviation has CHIRP (Confidential Human Factors Incident Reporting Programme - http://www.chirp.co.uk/main/Aviation.htm), boards this this are sometimes the closest thing the fire service gets to such a thing!

I Like my username, and i don't really like the idea of changing it. I Have absolutely no problem with anyone knowing my name, i often sign my posts with it, along with my depatment name, etc. But thats just me...

Robert A. Salani

East Fishkill Fire District

If I was single using my real name would not bother me but because of what I do for a living and for the protection of my family I prefer to use my screen name. Most people on here know me and if you need to know send me a PM.

I think most people know who I am by now. I don't worry about people forgetting who I am. But my Screen name means much, much more and I think if I changed it that people would forget the man I am paying tribute to.

If I was single using my real name would not bother me but because of what I do for a living and for the protection of my family I prefer to use my screen name. Most people on here know me and if you need to know send me a PM.

I have to say I agree. Some people on here know who I am. I don't need YAHOO's running around saying they know me when the get pulled over because my name is posted on here.

Why do things have to change? Or, I can just give you a fake name. That works as well.

Robert A. Salani

East Fishkill Fire District

I knew it was you Salani! I went to AMS with you in '97