Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Westchester Fire/EMS Trunked System

145 posts in this topic

Going back to my Hospital question. How do you use the trunked system to contact the hospital. That was something not covered in the train the trainer at DES. Maybe someone who has use it can expain how it works.

With a procedure by each agency in place, and confirmation that the hospital has the radio installed , operator uses "B" EMS bank scrolls to the appropriate name and calls them , not like the old HEAR system which required dialing in a code.

Does anyone know the trunked freqs for "Fire 15" & "Fire 18"? This was helpful a little but dosnt specify what each freq is..

Thanks

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Here are the user ID"s and Tags

4912 60 Fire 15

4944 60 Fire 18

Does anyone know the trunked freqs for "Fire 15" & "Fire 18"? This was helpful a little but dosnt specify what each freq is..

Thanks

Fire15 and Fire18 as well as the rest of the trunked system's users have access to all of the available frequencies, since the channels are not assigned to any particular userID.

That post lists the assigned frequencies for Westchester County's trunked system north (Mohansic) and south (Valhalla) zones, and unfortunately that information alone is only a piece of the pie for someone wanting to monitor anything on the trunked system.

You can program those zone frequencies (except for the control channels) into a conventional scanner and "hear" traffic, but it can be next to impossible to follow communications once the system gets busy, since the channel can be allocated to somebody else the next time anyone keys up. The system is dynamic, where the pooled frequencies are used by everyone in all talkgroups, and can change for each transmission.

In order to follow individual talkgroup transmissions on the trunked system, the (scanner) receiver needs to capable of trunk tracking and be programmed with the correct site system type, the trunked system's zone assigned frequencies including control channels, the individual talkgroup's TrunkID, and the sites' zone bandplan base configuration frequency(s), as well as the proper step and offset channel settings.

It sounds complicated, (it is) but once everything is programmed in, all you have to do is sit back and enjoy listening!

Here is an overview of how it works:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

Edited by jack10562

Just an FYI Northern Westchester Hospital's ER has the trunk radio up and running. ER staff is monitoring it... A handful of ambulance have called in on it.. mostly Yorktown VAC....

Edited by nwsafetyguy

Anyone hear of any other Departments/Agencies moving over to the new System? I heard Banksville FD doing testing around their district the other night.

Also, wanted to bump the thread before the fourteen day lock. <_<

Steve, I heard Fairview doing their 1810 radio test on the trunked system earlier this week, and I could swear that I heard NR Ladder 12 on the air, once.

Ve have vays around zee lock... B)

any thread anyone wants, we can take a look at.... :ph34r:

Steve, I heard Fairview doing their 1810 radio test on the trunked system earlier this week, and I could swear that I heard NR Ladder 12 on the air, once.

Ve have vays around zee lock... B)

any thread anyone wants, we can take a look at.... :ph34r:

NR has used it when going MA to MVFD & LFD. We can talk direct to all our regular MA requesters (on the system we developed prior to trunked).

Ve have vays around zee lock...

Sounds like someone is a trunking evil genius! :lol:

Just kidding Jack.

Mike

Edited by jack10562

TR54 told me that they are doing their 1810 test everyday on the new system. I heard L12 go M/A the other day also.

I was just looking to see if anyone had news of anyone going "fulltime" on the system.

Dobbs Ferry FD is getting trained on the system 1/29/08. After that we should be going over and playing with the system a little bit ;)

Does anyone know what the plan is for those of us who only have pagers? How are we to know the status of an ongoing call will there be announcments on 46.26, appears everything will be going over the new highband....?

Does anyone know what the plan is for those of us who only have pagers? How are we to know the status of an ongoing call will there be announcments on 46.26, appears everything will be going over the new highband....?

I have heard that you can convert you pagers to this trunking system so you can hear whats goin on. Don't quote me on this b/c i don't know if this is true or not. Maybe someone else on here knows???

This is one of the drawbacks of a Trunked System. In order to retransmit Low Band paging over a Talkgroup (from what I understand), you would have to retransmit everything on that frequency. This would cause the same problems that we have had with 46.26MHz for ages, mainly that Dispatch and Operations are on the same frequency. Paging will remain on Low Band, so you will keep your existing pager.

Everyone who has voice pagers on low band will still get the alarm/dispatch\alert on their existing pager (46.26, 33.96) There is NO change with dispatch procedure. However with those agencies moving over to the trunked system, all further communications will be on the trunked system. You will no longer be able to hear any of that radio traffic on a voice pager, so if you want to easily follow those communications one will need a trunk-tracking scanner. ( or a fire radio)

You can get a brand new handheld Uniden BC246T for around $200 retail, or find something used on eBay for a lot less.

I just got one for myself and it's really nice!

I also have a BCD996T in the house, and that is very nice, too!

Last night I heard Yorktown FD paged out with notification to use 46.26MHz, not Fire 17, for all responses. Just wondering if anyone knows what the reason for this is?

I heard it's because responding members with low band pagers can't hear if the apparatus is getting out, or not, when they transmit on the trunked system.

I also heard they have (or are getting) UHF pagers that will be able to receive trunk 17 on a separate channel.

Last night I heard Yorktown FD paged out with notification to use 46.26MHz, not Fire 17, for all responses. Just wondering if anyone knows what the reason for this is?

Through a note from the chief

" As of this date Yorktown has switched back to Low Band 46.26 do to inability for responders to hear any of the responding apparatus. As it is with many Chiefs, safety for the members is the number one concern. This safety was compromised Yesterday. "

I am not home, so I cannot comment on the particular situation, but I know we've been having problems with our pagers picking up the trunked system and hearing our own apparatus responding.

I heard it's because responding members with low band pagers can't hear if the apparatus is getting out, or not, when they transmit on the trunked system.

I also heard they have (or are getting) UHF pagers that will be able to receive trunk 17 on a separate channel.

You are correct on both accounts.

Most of our members have the minitor V pagers set up with A) 46.26 B) 46.26 vibrate C) Trunk 17 D) priority scan of 46.26 and trunk 17, and even with the trunk 17, our pagers were not receiving the trunk 17 transmissions

Edited by EMSJunkie712

You are correct on both accounts.

Most of our members have the minitor V pagers set up with A) 46.26 B) 46.26 vibrate C) Trunk 17 D) priority scan of 46.26 and trunk 17, and even with the trunk 17, our pagers were not receiving the trunk 17 transmissions

Technically what you are stating is not directly possible. The Trunked System is on UHF and Low Band is VHF. Pagers are only available in single band - low VHF, high VHF or UHF. What YHFD is probably doing is retransmitting Fire 17 over an alternate low band frequency through a repeater.

I heard Grasslands Brigade respond to a call this morning using the Trunked System. This would make Battalion 11 the first Battalion to completely switch to the new System.

I heard Ardsley FD on the trunked system this morning responding to an alarm. Confirmed this tonight, and that they are now being dispatched by 60 Control.

Had hoped to add this post to the previous thread on this subject, but it went past fourteen days and alas is locked. :(

The old thread is Now open for business :rolleyes:

Is 60 control their primary dispatch now? I know I've heard both 60 control and the local PD dispatch them over the years, but PD has always been primary.

My understanding is 60 Control is now their primary dispatch.

Monitored Montrose FD - Announcement - Starting tomorrow (March 1st) they will start using the new radio system .

A Fire 10

Monitored Montrose FD - Announcement - Starting tomorrow (March 1st) they will start using the new radio system .

A Fire 10

I thought I heard that.

As of 3/1 the following are using the Trunked System:

Fire 10

Montrose FD

Fire 11

Hawthorne FD

Valhalla FD

Thornwood FD

Grasslands Fire Brigade

Pleasantville FD

Fire 13

Croton Falls FD

Goldens Bridge FD

South Salem FD

Vista FD

Fire 14

Ardsley FD

Elmsford FD (For communications with 60 Control only)

Irvington FD (Still dispatched by IPD)

Fire 16

Bedford FD

Bedford Hills FD

Chappaqua FD

Katonah FD

Mount Kisco FD

Fire 17

Yorktown FD (Temporarily down)

Fire 19

Purchase FD

Westchester County Airport

EMS 11

Hawthorne FD EMS

EMS 13

Pound Ridge EMS

Vista FD EMS

EMS 14

Elmsford FD EMS (Communications with 60 Control only)

EMS 16

Bedford FD EMS

Additionally, all WCDES Units are using Trunked for all operations, such as the Battalions, Commissioners, Field Com, Haz-Mat, etc.

thanks for update ,, is 60 Control using 46.52 to page Ardsley Fire Dept ?

thanks for update ,, is 60 Control using 46.52 to page Ardsley Fire Dept ?

That's a big 10-4 buddy! :lol: