Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
20y2

Did Our Lady of Mercy stop it's EMS Operations?

26 posts in this topic

I'm hearing from a friend that there is no more OLM EMS as we know it in the North Bronx. What happened?

Edited by 20y2

WELL I HAVE HEARD OLM IS CLOSING

Please tell me this is a horrible rumor and carries no weight!!!!!!!

FAC? Is it true?

For his sake, I really hope it isn't. Check your inbox!

The OLM website tells us what many of us already knew or had been dreading, OLM is becoming a part of Montefiore Medical Center, and will be known as Montefiore North Division. As of last week, they had not changed any signs or repainted any ambulaces, however, I have heard that they are slowly eliminating the Catholic elements of the hospital. I will not go into further details and speculation w/ regards to OLMEMS b/c there are members of the board who are directly involved in the operations...save to say that things are not will not be the same i.e. I am pretty sure they no longer operate 15V, it has been returned to FDNY.

Edited by nycemt728

I was told first hand that Monti would be looking at combining EMS efforts once its Transcare contract expires.

I was told first hand that Monti would be looking at combining EMS efforts once its Transcare contract expires.

When does the Transcare contract expire? Also does this mean that OLM, Monti, and Einstein will have their own "hospital owned" ambulances?

I don't know any of the particulars, but i believe that Monti owns the trucks they just contract out the personnel

15V is gone over the next few months. The city is no longer rubber stamping the voluntary contracts when they are up for renewal. FDNY wanted a ALS bus out of the new BX north battalion so 15V is cut. As far as I know the BLS units are not affected.

They're building a brand new EMS base right up the street from OLM, where FDNY Ladder 39's quarters used to be.

I've also heard Montefiore is also looking into aqquiring St. Barnabas.

I really guess they need to take a hard look at EMS operations...what's most economically feaible will probaly win. I mean, is it a duplication of resources in reality?

In a City where there's enough EMS business to go around, I think you're going to see a major shift within the next few years. Hospital based ambulances will be primarily for the money-earning transport and corporate response contracts.

It's a wierd system. I think it makes sense for hospitals to run their own ambulances, for a variety of reasons. But then, it doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons.

FDNY did take back 15v all the BLS will stay the same.The hospital was bought by monte we are just changing our name. In the future we may take over all the EMS operations from the transcare units also.

I just find it ironic that only 10 years ago without the voluntaries there wouldn't have been any EMS in NYC because FDNY didn't have the units or bodies. At one point, if I'm not mistaken, OLM*EMS took care of the entire north Bronx. Gotta love the politics.

I hope the best for you and the FAMILY Frankie Boy!

I hope the best for you and the FAMILY Frankie Boy!

Thanks Danny I should be good!

OLMmedic On the air? Wish to add Anything about this!

OLMmedic On the air? Wish to add Anything about this!

No, it's much more entertaining to sit back and watch the rumors and misinformation grow!

I am not one to release anything unless I know it to be factual. So the only info I can give is as follows:

We are still here and operating as we have been for the past 49 years. Upon the transfer of OLM's assets to Montefiore:

- 15Victor will no longer be operating. This was not by choice of OLM or Montefiore. The hospitals vigorously tried to keep the unit. The decision to remove one of the finest Paramedic units in the city was strictly that of the FDNY.

- All four BLS units will continue to operate as their current radio designations (15-Adam, 15-Charlie, 15-Eddie & 27-Adam) in the 911 system. They will continue to be staffed by the current OLM employees who will become Montefiore employees upon the acquisition.

Anything else you hear is speculation at this point.

OLM was bought out by Monty last year under an agreement to protect OLM from bankruptcy. 15V was not taken from OLM, rather Monty gave it up. While voluntary units have been around since the beginning, several years ago under VonEssen and Rudy EMS contracts were handed out to hospitals instead of funding NYC EMS and later FDNY EMS so they could handle the growing system.

As a result of these contracts the Fire Dept cannot kick an agency out of the system without cause (they tried). So, when GPS became required, the voluntaries coughed up the cash. Same thing for the PPE. If they don't staff their units or maintain a certain level of quality they can also be removed from the system. None of this applied to 15V, they were an excellent unit. They were screwed by Monty.

Fact is, there isn't much money in EMS and even less in ALS so Monty turns to Transcare who is according to some is the reason why the Fire Dept is trying to get voluntaries out of the system. I also heard that Monty will be looking to hand over the OLM BLS to Transcare but these same birdies are saying that it would be equivalent to OLM dropping the units and Monty trying to pick them up. Probably not gonna happen.

15V will probably not run out of the new station up on 233rd when ever they finally get around to building it. It will most likely go to Sta 15 and 27W will go to the new station assuming there is not some big shuffle. Either way 15V didn't go because the FD needed an ALS for the new station.

Station 26 has been there in the North Bronx since the very beginning.

I wish you guys at OLM all the best luck during this transition and I really hope to see those ugly a** buses cruising the Bronx for years to come. All ways been good people, good at their job, willing to help out even when its an EDP splashing around in blood :D .

OLM was bought out by Monty last year under an agreement to protect OLM from bankruptcy. 15V was not taken from OLM, rather Monty gave it up. While voluntary units have been around since the beginning, several years ago under VonEssen and Rudy EMS contracts were handed out to hospitals instead of funding NYC EMS and later FDNY EMS so they could handle the growing system.

As a result of these contracts the Fire Dept cannot kick an agency out of the system without cause (they tried). So, when GPS became required, the voluntaries coughed up the cash. Same thing for the PPE. If they don't staff their units or maintain a certain level of quality they can also be removed from the system. None of this applied to 15V, they were an excellent unit. They were screwed by Monty.

Fact is, there isn't much money in EMS and even less in ALS so Monty turns to Transcare who is according to some is the reason why the Fire Dept is trying to get voluntaries out of the system. I also heard that Monty will be looking to hand over the OLM BLS to Transcare but these same birdies are saying that it would be equivalent to OLM dropping the units and Monty trying to pick them up. Probably not gonna happen.

15V will probably not run out of the new station up on 233rd when ever they finally get around to building it. It will most likely go to Sta 15 and 27W will go to the new station assuming there is not some big shuffle. Either way 15V didn't go because the FD needed an ALS for the new station.

Station 26 has been there in the North Bronx since the very beginning.

I wish you guys at OLM all the best luck during this transition and I really hope to see those ugly a** buses cruising the Bronx for years to come. All ways been good people, good at their job, willing to help out even when its an EDP splashing around in blood :D .

Looks like some of that info may be inaccurate, per OLMmedic.

I wish all of the best to the guys of OLM! I did my EMT class at OLM and did all my hospital rotations and ambulance rides with them.

They are all the great!

I wish them the best of luck during this transfer from OLM to Montifore. Good Luck and God Bless!

For those of us not in the know, what is 15v?

15 Victor, the ALS unit OLM runs. In NYC ALS trucks are at the latter half of the alphabet and BLS are in the beginning of alphabet (roughly). So trucks Adam, Boy, Charlie are BLS Zebra, Victor, Willy are ALS. The number, in OLM's case 15, is the FDNY batallion the unit resides in if im not mistaken.

Apologies, i interpreted OLMedic's previous post wrong!

Edited by Goose

15 Victor, the ALS unit OLM used to run. In NYC ALS trucks are at the latter half of the alphabet and BLS are in the beginning of alphabet (roughly). So trucks Adam, Boy, Charlie are BLS Zebra, Victor, Willy are ALS. The number, in OLM's case 15, is the FDNY batallion the unit resides in if im not mistaken.

To quote Mark Twain, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

Please don't kill us off prematurely. We are still operating ALS unit 15-Victor

For those of us not in the know, what is 15v?

AMBULANCE RADIO DESIGNATIONS

First and Second Digit: Battalion #

Alpha designations: A-G=BLS, H=BLS HazTac, I-O=BLS, S-Y=ALS, Z=ALS HazTac

Fourth Digit: Tour 1, 2 or 3

I rode my medic class rotations onboard OLM's ALS rig in 1996. I think it was called something other than 15V at that time. I had a great time working with Andy and his partner. We did some awesome calls. It's a shame that politics is killing off the best ALS rig in the North Bronx.

No, it's much more entertaining to sit back and watch the rumors and misinformation grow!

I am not one to release anything unless I know it to be factual. So the only info I can give is as follows:

We are still here and operating as we have been for the past 49 years. Upon the transfer of OLM's assets to Montefiore:

- 15Victor will no longer be operating. This was not by choice of OLM or Montefiore. The hospitals vigorously tried to keep the unit. The decision to remove one of the finest Paramedic units in the city was strictly that of the FDNY.

- All four BLS units will continue to operate as their current radio designations (15-Adam, 15-Charlie, 15-Eddie & 27-Adam) in the 911 system. They will continue to be staffed by the current OLM employees who will become Montefiore employees upon the acquisition.

Anything else you hear is speculation at this point.

I'm glad that 15v will be on the road until FDNY gets their act together, hopefully it will take them quite a while. OLM Medic is correct, the men and women of that unit (and all of OLM EMS for that matter) are excelellent, having worked along side them in class and on the road. I have also seen them work next to other agencies at a job and treat my family members, there was no comparison. Keep up the good work!

Edited by nycemt728