Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Smeal's new TDA

21 posts in this topic

Interesting, I heard a rumor Ferrara is working on one, now that would be interesting.

Interesting, I heard a rumor Ferrara is working on one, now that would be interesting.

Yep they are, since Smeal supply's their ladders.

AWESOME find Joe!! This will be a great addition to Smeal's lineup!

This opens a lot of new markets to them!

Is this apparatus designed to be a more economic alternative to a TDA from Seagrave or Peirce?

I am a huge Smeal fan and have long waited to see them bring a TDA to the market. We have a Smeal rescue engine and a Smeal rescue quint on a single-axle with 75' aerial, and nothing beats the quality of thier steel ladder construction or the ease of operation of thier aerial device, we are so pleased we will eventually replace our whole fleet with Smeal apparatus.

This will greatly help departments out there who use spartan chasis. if one of those departments wanted a tiller thed have to buy it used from an old LTI or go to crimson or KME. SMEAL Being a builder that has given nothing but quality to the fire service market will greatly increase there sales.

I saw this rig in production while doing our inspection for Ladder 31, its truly awesome.

If Smeal does incorporate Ferrara into this deal, I think that will leave Sutphen and the Rosenbauer group as the only manufacturers who don't make a tiller. Definitely will make a nice alternative to the more expensive brands, no doubt.....assuming that these aren't too "expensive" themselves.

Riverside County here in California have 3-4 on order. Heading up there next weekend, will see if any have been delivered and get photos.

Duane

If Smeal does incorporate Ferrara into this deal, I think that will leave Sutphen and the Rosenbauer group as the only manufacturers who don't make a tiller. Definitely will make a nice alternative to the more expensive brands, no doubt.....assuming that these aren't too "expensive" themselves.

Mamoroneck village has a Sutphen tiller, do they still make them? I know there were very few made, a dozen or so. Im sure if you wanted one they would build one since the design and mechanics are there. Anyone know anything else?

Sutphen only made a few tillers. I believe Mamaroneck's is the only one to still exist "as is" in front line service. Wouldn't bet money on that, though.

Mamoroneck village has a Sutphen tiller, do they still make them? I know there were very few made, a dozen or so. Im sure if you wanted one they would build one since the design and mechanics are there. Anyone know anything else?

Ladder 20 worked 3 alarm in PORT CHESTER this week, it is the only one left in service out of I believe four that were built. they won't built any more in that design anyway.

that is one nice truck

Riverside County here in California have 3-4 on order. Heading up there next weekend, will see if any have been delivered and get photos.

The unit featured in the video that's linked above is lettered Riverside County. Looks real nice. Says the unit will be on display at FDIC in April.

lad 20 also went mutal aid to town of mam'k last weekend. I think they only made 3 or 4 of those tillers and vegas had one and got rid of it.

I had a convo with a Sutphen rep. within the past 18 months and he indicated that they also were looking to get back into the TDA market. He said that it would not resemble the version they had earlier, as that was just a concept truck that didn't fly.

Ladder 20 worked 3 alarm in PORT CHESTER this week, it is the only one left in service out of I believe four that were built. they won't built any more in that design anyway.

Stuphen makes a GREAT truck, but , I hope some day, in my career, I get to try/drive a tiller tuck.

Here is a photo of the Sutphen Platform TDA

post-15386-1206584454.jpg

Is this apparatus designed to be a more economic alternative to a TDA from Seagrave or Peirce?

Pierce is spelled with an IE not ei!

haha

Looking good man.

Always love TDA's myself.

-Joe DA BUFF