Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Nothing about the Beekman Ave Fire in Sleepy Hollow 4/23?

31 posts in this topic

there were TONS of buffs there taking pictures and videos. Please post them if you don't mind. It was a great job by all involved, it could have been MUCH much worse!

just left sleepy hollow fire and wow was there ever alot of depts there way too many if you ask me there were at least 5 deputy coordinators and car 2 plus oem personnel 446 red cross and mobile com 1 wow alot of people ik white coats well i was not there in a fire capacity but i saw enough to wonder why so many people and trucks oh well just a thought that should start a stream so let me out now

no least then 10 agencies envolved

and the dog from greenville

Yeah, there was an awful lot of manpower there. Its better to be safe than sorry and have them on hand when you need them. Plus it seemed like just about everybody was put to work.

There was no information on this website because it involved SLEEPY HOLLOW FIRE DEPARTMENT!

I started posting the rundown of apparatus as they were coming in but ended up on scene with oilflame taking pictures and i will put them up soon

There was no information on this website because it involved SLEEPY HOLLOW FIRE DEPARTMENT!

Then why don't you post it.

was one heck of a scene. I rolled in with Montrose FD once we got into town we could see the smoke. Didn't figure we would be put to work right away though.

heard a few MOS went to the hospital anyone have any word on how they are doing?

So does this mean the County Convention parade is cancalled this year??

Shooting from memory...

SHFD: 2311, 2312, 2313, E85, E86, E87, TL38, R12

TFD: 2461, 2462, E80, L37, U61

OFD: 2331, 2332, 2334, E98, E99, L42, U51

CHFD: 2082, 2083, E119

CFD: E2061, E144

VFD: 2481, U59

PHFD: 2381, E189

DFFD: 2092, 2093, E47, TL23

AFD: 2011, E164

IFD: 2202, E178

MFD: 2271, E121

BMFD: 2052, TL40

EFD: 2111, 2112, E237

PFD: 2371, R47

WCDES: CC2, CC25, EMS12, FC1, B10, B11, B12, C&O Zone 3, OEM

Sleepy Hollow EMS

Tarrytown EMS

Irvington EMS

Pleasantville EMS

Mt. Pleasent ALS

Greenburgh ALS

Red Cross

Con Ed Electric & Gas

Greenburgh Civil Defense

Sleepy Hollow PD

I am sure I am missing something/someone, but hey, it's a start. :rolleyes:

Shooting from memory...

SHFD: 2311, 2312, 2313, E85, E86, E87, TL38, R12

TFD: 2461, 2462, E80, L37, U61

OFD: 2331, 2332, 2334, E98, E99, L42, U51

CHFD: 2082, 2083, E119

CFD: E2061, E144

VFD: 2481, U59

PHFD: 2381, E189

DFFD: 2092, 2093, E47, TL23

AFD: 2011, E164

IFD: 2202, E178

MFD: 2271, E121

BMFD: 2052, TL40

EFD: 2111, 2112, E237

PFD: 2371, R47

WCDES: CC2, CC25, EMS12, FC1, B10, B11, B12, C&O Zone 3, OEM

Sleepy Hollow EMS

Tarrytown EMS

Irvington EMS

Pleasantville EMS

Mt. Pleasent ALS

Greenburgh ALS

Red Cross

Con Ed Electric & Gas

Greenburgh Civil Defense

Sleepy Hollow PD

I am sure I am missing something/someone, but hey, it's a start. :rolleyes:

It's All good John. it was a pleasure working with you and your crew.

heard a few MOS went to the hospital anyone have any word on how they are doing?

Myself and the other MOS are doing well

Does anyone see a problem that there were 21 chiefs (plus DES/OEM) but only 14 engines & 5 trucks?

DCurtis - "Yeah, there was an awful lot of manpower there. Its better to be safe than sorry and have them on hand when you need them. Plus it seemed like just about everybody was put to work."

Agreed that having enough manpower when needed is important, but how much supervision is needed?

Huh? What's this mean?

It looks like the county convention already took place! lol

Does anyone see a problem that there were 21 chiefs (plus DES/OEM) but only 14 engines & 5 trucks?

DCurtis - "Yeah, there was an awful lot of manpower there. Its better to be safe than sorry and have them on hand when you need them. Plus it seemed like just about everybody was put to work."

Agreed that having enough manpower when needed is important, but how much supervision is needed?

Just because a guy is wearing a white coat does not mean he can't work. I pulled lots of lath and plaster along side guys in white doing painstaking truckie work yesterday just like the rest of us.

The "c" exposure channel that my team was operating on was not overloaded with unnecessary traffic and went very quiet upon transmission of the MAYDAY. My opinion is that the IC did a good job letting the interior crews do their work under the supervision of designated operations chiefs. Ops commanders were put in charge of the various sectors that the three buildings involved were divided into. In all honesty I have rarely seen the ICS system work as well at a large scale operation involving so many different volunteer agencies. Your point is well taken but this job was not an example of too many cooks spoiling the broth in my humble opinion.

Edited by CFD320

The only confusing point that I seemed to notice was getting confirmation on whether or not Con Ed could confirm that Gas and Electric to the building had been turned off. Lots of White Hats and coats there, but A LOT more FF's working hand in hand to get the fire under control. It was good to see relief crews standing by at all handlines and near ground ladders to pick up the slack.

Thats the great thing about us Volleys, we can get 21 Chiefs out!!!!!!!

What was the final alarm level of this fire?

Also, why were so many departments from so far called for this fire and not other closer ones?

I dont know the final level of the alarm, but they did call several local departments. Tarrytown obviously, Ossining, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Pocantico Hills, Briarcliff, Pleasantville, which right there is several departments from Battallions 11, 12, and 14. So my thought process to that is several local departments were being called in mutual aid, but they probably figured they were starting to drain neighboring areas and what if something happened else where that mutual aid was needed for...they would have had to go farther for the second incident because then everyone would be at Sleepy Hollow. I was not there, but I commend the IC on a job well done managing so many departments from so many battallions. Again I think they started going further up to prevent from draining local departments and battallions immediately around Sleepy Hollow on the off chance another fire started or some large incident requiring mutual aid. Sounds like a tough fire, but a job well done by all operating at the scene.

The only confusing point that I seemed to notice was getting confirmation on whether or not Con Ed could confirm that Gas and Electric to the building had been turned off. Lots of White Hats and coats there, but A LOT more FF's working hand in hand to get the fire under control. It was good to see relief crews standing by at all handlines and near ground ladders to pick up the slack.

My guys from Gas shut down six gas services to seven buildings from the outside, but due to the active fire suppression efforts and subsequent access conditions, they were unable to gain entry to confirm that the curb valves were in fact off and holding.

Simply operating a valve is no confirmation the valve actually works... our SOP / routine is to confirm a 100 % shutdown.

Similar with power...by cutting a cable in a manhole and without actually getting into the premises, there is no way to ensure there is not an additional second live service which might still remain energized and hazardous to firefighters.

My guys from Gas shut down six gas services to seven buildings from the outside, but due to the active fire suppression efforts and subsequent access conditions, they were unable to gain entry to confirm that the curb valves were in fact off and holding.

Simply operating a valve is no confirmation the valve actually works... our SOP / routine is to confirm a 100 % shutdown.

Similar with power...by cutting a cable in a manhole and without actually getting into the premises, there is no way to ensure there is not an additional second live service which might still remain energized and hazardous to firefighters.

Jack that was in no way a dig at you and your guys at Con Ed. I was merely stating that there were several radio transmissions between chiefs that the power had been confirmed off by the Sleepy Hollow building Inspector. Then there was another following transmission that the shut down was NOT confirmed by Con Ed. That was the only confusing part, the contradicting transmissions from the white hats.

The Tarry Inn AKA JP DOYLES was ok right? Please tell me that it was ok. LOL. That is why there were so many Depts there. Protecting a LANDMARK. LOL Glad everyone was safe.

I understand... no offense taken.

This is a big concern at these incidents, for instance if I been at the scene as the white hat for ConEd, I could not in all honesty make a statement and inform the Incident Commander that the utilities were off, if that fact had not been physically confirmed by me or my guys. I can have my guys cut wires and operate valves but until I can see the other end of the pipe or wire, I can't give any assurances to the IC as to the status of those moves, only that we made them.

Ihave to say that I thought the Command structure was set up properly.the command post had the incident commander there. the EMS was there, sleepy hollow police were there- Con Ed was there. Field com coordinators were there. it worked well. Things worked well- the Village Mayor was at the command post. Things went well- the radio traffic was controlable. The building(s) were sectured off each had a operations chief. The fire didnt cooperate but thats normal.

EMS had a tent and ambulances set up . It looked like things fell into place. as they say the system worked.

Thats the great thing about us Volleys, we can get 21 Chiefs out!!!!!!!

Note: I did not say anything about vollies.

I can think of a lot of "snappy" comebacks to this line....but thats not the point.

What was the final alarm level of this fire?

Also, why were so many departments from so far called for this fire and not other closer ones?

Who got skipped? There's going to a preference for depts from the west side of the county only because travel is easier and more efficient north and south rather than east and west.

Depending on the thought process the skip method of mutual aid often works well. This ensures you don't overstress the system locally and leaves some units familiar with the other areas they may have to cover.