Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Brush/Wildland Fires - What do YOU wear?

14 posts in this topic

What PPE do you personally wear to a brush /grass/etc fire?

Does your department provide you with wildland fire PPE?

From what i saw when i was over at the Ulster fire a lot of people liked wearing jeans, t-shirts and a combination of sneakers and boots. I saw other people wearing bunker pants and t-shirts.

Not exactly sure how much of that is kosher...but thats what i saw

With my dept it is usually bunker pants, boots, and gloves. But I personaly would love to see us move to more traditional Wildland PPE, because wearing bunker gear to fight a 15 or 30 acre brush fire tires you our quickly.

Issued wildland pants, coat, helmet and goggles. Boots are currently whatever you want to throw on your feets, gloves are the same.

As an aside, we also wear these for MVAs in the hot summer months.

Edited by STAT213

At our brush fires (which theres is alot) we try to wear jeans/carhartt pants work boots gloves and helmet, thats what the officers suggest we wear. yet some guys would wear shorts that day and then they got to wear there bunker pants which sucks for them.

For those of you that wear your personal Carhartt pants and such - what if you ruin a pair while engaged in firefighting? Will your department reimburse you for them?

Given the hazards, why not get real wildland PPE? I know this isn't the Western US but fire is fire, isn't it?

We are issued nomex shirt and pants, and/or coveralls, Bullard wildfire helmet, nomex hoods, leather gloves and the new generation fire shelter

I keep an old set of turnout gear with the inside lining removed.

Phenix Wildland or 1500CA helmet with Nomex shroud, Nomex brush jacket and pants with Nomex work pants under, standard work boots, work gloves (not structure), long sleeve cotton t-shirt, goggles, sunglasses, brush pack with shelter, flares, built in camel-pak, 1" hose clamps, file, whistle, bandana, 8' nylon webbing...

We were issued nomex shirt and pants last year. They have come in handy this year. The mutual that we get have to wear turn out gear.The chief is good to us.

Our department bought us some Wild land gear last year. We have 2 sets on the brush truck and 10 sets on the rescue. We wear those, helmets and whatever gloves float your boat.

I know when I took wild land firefighting, the teacher, who is a forest ranger, stated that the only thing required to be worn at brush fires are Long sleeve work shirt, denim pants or other thick pants like carharts, work boots, goggles, helmet. Up until last year we were wearing our turnouts, but thankfully our dept got the wild land gear, its great.

where im from we are told to wear full structure fire PPE.

Our firefighters are issued a complete set of wildland protective gear which includes MSA helmet, goggles, nomex hood, hot shield face mask, nomex coat & pants, wildland gloves & leather boots, TrueNorth back pack, and new generation fire shelters.

This gear is warn on all wildfires due to our heavy wildfire fuel load in our area of Florida.