Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Yonkers 2nd Alarm 5/1 Pics

29 posts in this topic

NIce. Aggressive firefighting for sure.

Refresh my memory - and I am almost embarassed to ask - what's the red lid signify?

Refresh my memory - and I am almost embarassed to ask - what's the red lid signify?

The man wearing the red helmet is most likely a Lieutenant.

Safety Officer...

its amazing, with all of Yonkers new fire apparatus the "good old" MACK/ BAKER is it the front door.

its amazing, with all of Yonkers new fire apparatus the "good old" MACK/ BAKER is it the front door.

To use a line from Yogi Berra, it's Deja vu all over again.

The ladder placements in these pictures look very dangerous. Way too close to the wires. I hope someone from Yonkers can tell me that ALL the power was turned off to the overhead lines.

To use a line from George Carlin, this should be Vu jade (should never had happened).

I wasn't there but it certainly looks to me like a very dangerous situation with the wires.

It "appears" like the Boom of the Tower is actually in contact with the 120 v Lines (mixed in with the cable/tel).

And the primaries also seem wayyyyy too close to the Stick and the guys on it.

It looks as if all aerial devices were at least 10' or more away to me. It's called knowing your 1st due area, apparatus and it's limitations. Pretty agressive positioning to get the Job done if you ask me. Kudos to the Chauffers! You really don't see this type of aggressive truck spotting that much anymore. I bet if it was Boston FD, you'd here nothing but praise for the Brothers in Beantown.

Yea im pretty sure that the ladder is in contact with the wires

Yea im pretty sure that the ladder is in contact with the wires

Yeah, they certainly are in touch with the wires............Phone and Cable TV wires!!!

The bucket is not even close to any wires.

It looks as if all aerial devices were at least 10' or more away to me. It's called knowing your 1st due area, apparatus and it's limitations. Pretty agressive positioning to get the Job done if you ask me. Kudos to the Chauffers! You really don't see this type of aggressive truck spotting that much anymore. I bet if it was Boston FD, you'd here nothing but praise for the Brothers in Beantown.

How can you say that the sticks/booms are at least 10' away. The boom is pushing the lower thick cable and is inches away from the top thick cable. The top thick cable looks like it is an electric aerial cable (primary feeder), I don't think that it's a cable T.V. line either.

The lower lines closest to the boom are phone and cable. Power lines are at the upper left of the photo.

IMG_7070.jpg

It looks as if some of you guys need a drill on the location of the different cables positioned on telephone poles. Is that what happens when you retire?

Edited by FirNaTine

The lower lines closest to the boom are phone and cable. Power lines are at the upper left of the photo.

IMG_7070.jpg

Anyone out there work for Con Ed or NYSEG that might clear this up ?

There are actually 2 sets of power lines on a pole, Primary & Secondary.

As far as I know and I am pretty sure I am correct, the top 3 wires (in the upper left) are PRIMARY Wires and can have 6,000 volts and higher in them.

The secondary (House Service) is 120v. and is lower down on the pole.

The Secondary (120v) line appears to be between the upper bundle of heavy black wires (Cable) and lower bundle (Telephone) and IS in contact with the boom.

Great job by the Chauffuers of the truck Companies. Those of us that work in these type of areas know our district and know what we can do and what we cant.

Once again a bunch of guys looking at a picture and saying..."oh that looks dangerous". Yup, it sure is, firefighting is a very dangerous profession.

Anyone out there work for Con Ed or NYSEG that might clear this up ?

There are actually 2 sets of power lines on a pole, Primary & Secondary.

As far as I know and I am pretty sure I am correct, the top 3 wires (in the upper left) are PRIMARY Wires and can have 6,000 volts and higher in them.

The secondary (House Service) is 120v. and is lower down on the pole.

The Secondary (120v) line appears to be between the upper bundle of heavy black wires (Cable) and lower bundle (Telephone) and IS in contact with the boom.

I don't think anyone needs to be from ConEd or NYSEG to clear this up.

Yes, the top 3 separate wires are Primary and can have 4-13K volts in them. Yes, the next set of wires down SHOULD be the secondary wires, carrying 240volts between them, BUT, in this situation, judging from the hangers used between poles, the second set down are not secondary wires as ConEd (not that I've ever seen) doesn't run secondaries in the form of triplex wires (3 or 4 wires wrapped around each other, like the ones that go from the pole to your house) but as 3 or 4 separate wires from pole to pole also, but who knows what ConEd might've done in this area.

The only set touching the boom is the lower set. The picture angle is deceiving. Go to the website to see other pictures.....

None of us were there and we know not to let aerials come in contact with power lines.

I also agree that the drivers and Officer's in that part and any part of Yonkers (or that matter, anywhere) know their first due area, what hazards are encountered and what runs from pole to pole.

Instead of arm chair quarterbacking this picture, use it to your own advantage and go outside and look at the poles in front of your house or in your first due area while driving around.

You may notice a lot of different things.

I'll just wait for someone who was on that call to explain what was done fighting a "suspicious" fire.........

Edited by yfd910

I'm surprised all the professionals on here haven't asked yet, where are the plates and pins for the jacks and outriggers.

judging from the hangers used between poles, the second set down are not secondary wires as ConEd doesn't run secondaries in the form of triplex wires (3 or 4 wires wrapped around each other, like the ones that go from the pole to your house) but as 3 or 4 separate wires from pole to pole also.

That is exactly what I am referring to, the cable with the hangers. Unless Con Ed has changed the way they install the AERIAL CABLES, it looks just like a primary feeder cable. These are the cables that are normally under ground, however at certain points it comes above ground and is strung just above telephone/cable tv lines. This aerial cable can be mistaken for telephone/cable tv.

YFD910 you described the aerial cable to a tee. However it's not a secondary, it's a primary.

Until you see one of these aerial cables on fire, you would have a hard time accepting that what you are looking at is ELECTRIC and not a phone/cable tv line, I saw one burning and it opened my eyes.

Get the Con Ed Reference card out of the rigs and look at the place on the pole and the hanger system that is used. I think you will see where I am coming from.

Yes, the top 3 separate wires are Primary and can have 4-13K volts in them. Yes, the next set of wires down SHOULD be the secondary wires, carrying 240volts between them, BUT, in this situation, judging from the hangers used between poles, the second set down are not secondary wires as ConEd (not that I've ever seen) doesn't run secondaries in the form of triplex wires (3 or 4 wires wrapped around each other, like the ones that go from the pole to your house) but as 3 or 4 separate wires from pole to pole also, but who knows what ConEd might've done in this area.

YFD, thanks for the clarification. I will defer to your judgement and as I said before "I wasnt there" and am not an electrician. Looking at the set of pictures again, yeah there may not be secondary wires running pole to pole. Your explanation of the old Box Wires would explain that extra set in there that I assumed (remember, never assume) were secondaries. So the only contact would have been the cable and maybe that Box Wire which isnt the end of the world.

This was in no way a shot at the guys in Yonkers by any means. just a discussion to keep the mind thinking. These guys have their work cut out for them with the tight streets and rig placement. And they do a good job at it. It looks like they did a good job at this fire as well.

So, where are those pins anyway ??

Just kidding, lighten up FirNaTine.........

the road does look tight which really dosen't help when positioning the trucks

Get the Con Ed Reference card out of the rigs and look at the place on the pole and the hanger system that is used. I think you will see where I am coming from.

LT,

Did just that today, then when I was out I looked up at the poles on Rt 22 in Eastchester and saw it. So you are right about aerial primaries.

That is an eye opener.

LT,

Did just that today, then when I was out I looked up at the poles on Rt 22 in Eastchester and saw it. So you are right about aerial primaries.

That is an eye opener.

Thanks......I'll opened up my spot at the next Con Ed drill for an active guy. Us retired guys don't need ongoing training anymore. (RE:Post #13)

Edited by LTNRFD

We know about the newer style Aerial Cables-they are not a suprise. I know the Truck Chauffuer, he did a great job, as always !! Our city is compromised of many hills, really tight streets and many, many, many overhead wires ! Yes- thought actually goes into where the rig will be placed (and as safe as can be) !!

The top three conductors are 4KV primary, the "thick" cable is 13.8KV feeder, and the ones being "deflected' by the boom are CATV fiber-optic.

It's actually okay to make casual "contact" with the 13.8 with a boom like that, (even though it doesn't look like he did) it is insulated.

In any event, when the boom is up into any wires of any find, ASSUME that the TRUCK itself could be energized...

DO NOT TOUCH the truck while standing on the ground.

Opening a compartment to get something could get someone electrocuted.....

The top three conductors are 4KV primary, the "thick" cable is 13.8KV feeder, and the ones being "deflected' by the boom are CATV fiber-optic.

It's actually okay to make casual "contact" with the 13.8 with a boom like that, (even though it doesn't look like he did) it is insulated.

In any event, when the boom is up into any wires of any find, ASSUME that the TRUCK itself could be energized...

I don't think that boom is insulated................

When I sat through the Con Ed class on electric, someone used the word 'insulated' and he was immediately stopped. The instructor made a statement that no wire is 'insulated', that they have a protective covering on them. He stated that there might be some lines in the grid that are insulated, however he said that the emergency services MUST follow the rule that NO LINE is insulated. DON'T TOUCHA!!!!

It is a best practice to make every effort to stay away from any aerial cables if at all possible, especially electric power.

Even if they are "protected" treat em like it's a bare wire...

in many areas there is still a lot of older aerial primary and secondary cables where the rubber "protection" came off a long time ago.

I only see primaries...sorry...but I am not a FF

L71 is currently using the spare TL, the Mack-Baker, usually designated as L77.