Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert benz

What Is Your Departments Policy To Be An Interior Firefighter???

74 posts in this topic

this SHOULD raise a few eyebrows. What is your dept's policy to be an interior firefighter???

And what is your State, County policy???

(and I wish the answer was as simple as FF-1) I will get into that discussion later if it doesnt come up.

In my department the only requirements are FF1. I don't believe there are any universal standards in Westchester.

I Will Probally Be Corrected, But In My Department I Believe It Is Either The Old Basic And Intremediate Or Firefighter 1 And 2, Also Age Of 18, And District Mask Confidance.

Thomas

I Will Probally Be Corrected, But In My Department I Believe It Is Either The Old Basic And Intremediate Or Firefighter 1 And 2, Also Age Of 18, And District Mask Confidance.

I think it breaks down like this:

Essentials + Fire Behavior/Arson Awareness = Basic Firefighter

Basic Firefighter + Intermediate Firefighter = Firefighter 1

Firefighter 1 + Firefighter 2 Course + Some form of EMS training (maybe CPR?) = Firefighter 2 Certification

I could be totally wrong, but either your department stepped up it's requirements, or you guys still just need Firefighter 1. If any instructors want to correct me, please do.

To be interior in New Fairfield, CT I believe you need the following:

1. CT State Firefighter 1 or equivalent

2. Up to date OSHA Bloodborne/Airborne Pathogens

3. OSHA HAZMAT Operational (refreshed within 1 year)

4. NIMS Basic

5. Up to date CPR

We have one kind of firefighter...and we ALL can go inside. ;) I don't really understand the concept of exterior firefighters. Either you can do the work, or you cannot. And, for the record...not meant as a slam. I am being serious about this. The fire service really does need to come to some kind of consensus about what a firefighter is. In my opinion, it is someone who can do ALL aspects of the job. Not just "help out." Again, just one guys .02

As far as actual requirements go, we have to have FF 1 to start the job, and must have within one year of employment, FF 2 and C2F2 (New Hampshire's Certified Career Firefighter). Some departments in the state require FF2 or even C2F2 to start.

The fire service really does need to come to some kind of consensus about what a firefighter is.

I'll agree to that. We can all agree on what makes someone an EMT-B, EMT-I, or Paramedic. Career, volunteer, municipal, private sector...if someone wears the badge of an EMT, they're an EMT. Try saying something like that about the fire service.

We have one kind of firefighter...and we ALL can go inside. ;) I don't really understand the concept of exterior firefighters. Either you can do the work, or you cannot. And, for the record...not meant as a slam. I am being serious about this. The fire service really does need to come to some kind of consensus about what a firefighter is. In my opinion, it is someone who can do ALL aspects of the job. Not just "help out." Again, just one guys .02

I have to disagree with you there are plenty of jobs to do outside the fire scene for example changing packs, hitting a hydrant, set up a rehab station, size up of a building, ladder a building, etc etc. Of course an interior firefighter could do all of theses jobs as well but I would rather have them inside fighting the fire and doing searches and so on. Just my opinion.

As for the original question my department requires 5 nights of in house training, a captain's test and then successful completion of FF1.

To be interior in New Fairfield, CT I believe you need the following:

1. CT State Firefighter 1 or equivalent

2. Up to date OSHA Bloodborne/Airborne Pathogens

3. OSHA HAZMAT Operational (refreshed within 1 year)

4. NIMS Basic

5. Up to date CPR

Alex, I don't think nims is part of the SOG's for us.

As for everything else I had esentials of firefighting in New york state along with intro to fire officer, Fire Officer 1, Fast, evoc, Saftey & survivel and an ex- officer in new york............CT would not except my class to be equal to interior qualifications. So now i had to take firefighter 1, after i have been doing this for 7 years....been to more classes then i can count( there are more then i listed)

Fairview in Dutchess requires all Interior FF's to be trained with:

Firefighter 1

Firefighter Survival

F.A.S.T

I think we may have discussed this before, and if memory serves me, I think we determined that the State has no set minimum training for interior / exterior personnel and it is left to each Department to decide.

This is a good question, because when we go to the WCFTC we are asked if everyone is up to FF I, which to me is not correct, it has to be interior as determined by the department, no?

Our Interior personnel always have to comply with the recommended training requirements. So 15 years ago it was Essentials, then it was Basic & Intermediate and now FF I. We also require FF Survival now to be Interior.

To me, Survival should be in the FF I curriculum, and the FF I program (w/ Survival, HMFRO & CSAS) should be the minimum for Interior members.

Allthough NYS does not regulate volunteer depts training regulations I do believe it also does not reckognize any course but FF1 as a basis for interior firefighters. FF1, FF2, Survival, Building Construction at a minimum should be a basis along with a comprehensive in-service trainig program.

I encourage all to read this month's issue of Firehouse Magazine about the Carver Mass Fire Department.

The following is required in NY State and for the most part any state.

Ok Firefighter 1 will be a minimum

Haz-Com (right-to-know) is needed for every firefighter before in service ( int & ext firefighters) requited by OSHA and NY State Dept of Health

Infection control (notices I said this not bloodborne pathogens, because NY State (PESH) requires bloodborne, tuberculosis, and Lymes) both int and ext firefighters

Haz-Mat at the operations level (you will get in firefighter 1)

Firefighter 1 will also take care of a Initial OSHA Safety … required by PESH

Respiratory protection .. SCBA all that fun stuff … you will get in FF1

NIMS Basic (Federal requirement … every one needs this, pretty soon you will not be able to get grant money without it)

You will need a Physical (Medical) Exam included in that will be a Respiratory Medical Exam

A fit test on the SCBA and another other respiratory protection you use (ex. an N-95 mask, which most EMS workers use is a respirator and requires a fit test and respiratory clearance exam. In fact and paper mask that has a NIOSH certification on the box is a respirator.

You should have

Firefighter Survival, but not required

Oh by the way ..... NY State does regulate Vol Firefighters (sorry but they do) under PESH Public Employee Safety and Health, a part of the Dept of Labor. Even though as a Vol and you dont get "paid", since you are under the Volunteer Benifits Law (which is like workers comp) you are considered an unpaid employee.

Hope this helps

I may be wrong but as for the training center the question asked is because of" live fire "requirements placed on the training center by the State.

Authority haveing jurisdiction is the governing body and sets standards for their department.! Having said that any department can set the requirement as they see fit. However if you are involved in State or County training then you have to meet Their requirements. again thats why the questions are asked. The state of New York has no power to inforce the standards and untill that is done the fire service in the State will be all over doing what they want when they want.

departments that are doing mutual aid might be required to adhear to the department recieving the mutual aid's requirement.

If lets say take the Elmsford' Red Fox diner last week--sorry Syd- Elmsford may have a policy set by them that says all firefighters that are going into IDLH must have FFI safety/survival, then Elmsford may have the right to ask the question? do your firefighters meet that requirement.? if they dont then Elmsford dosent have to let them participate in the mutual aid.

We in the fire service have to get ouor act togeather and set some standards that we all can live with or one day somthing will happen.

just my thoughts

As far as firefighting ... Yes NY State does have more the Standards they have laws

I just did a search on Vol fire companies through OSHA and there were some 205 Vol Fire compaines over the last 10 years for not following OSHA requirements.

See this link

http://osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.sea...;startyear=2008

You may want to look at this firehouse story too

http://www.firehouse.com/training/news/200...dict_watch.html

Fairview in Dutchess requires all Interior FF's to be trained with:

Firefighter 1

Firefighter Survival

F.A.S.T

Can I ask, what's the thinking behind requiring rookie interior FFs to be FAST trained? In our dept. you have to have at least five years service before you can be involved in FAST operations, which makes a lot of sense to me.

Remember585 - AFAIK, FF survival *is* now rolled-into the FF1 curriculum; it's an integral part of the course. It certainly was when I did FF1 last summer, although I think we were the first class to follow the integrated curriculum.

Mike

Can I ask, what's the thinking behind requiring rookie interior FFs to be FAST trained? In our dept. you have to have at least five years service before you can be involved in FAST operations, which makes a lot of sense to me.

FAST should be given to all interior personnel. Whether they are part of a dedicated FAS Team or not is up to them and their departments, but everyone should know the two most important things. How to save themselves and how to save their brothers.

Remember585 - AFAIK, FF survival *is* now rolled-into the FF1 curriculum; it's an integral part of the course. It certainly was when I did FF1 last summer, although I think we were the first class to follow the integrated curriculum.

Mike

Mike,

Survival has been offered by some Instructors in addition to the Firefighter I course, with the Instructor having the forward thinking to basically give both at the same time. Sadly, it is still not a part of the actual course curriculum. It should be, and hopefully it gets done soon.

From the OFPC Website:

FIREFIGHTER I

As the initial entry program for firefighting personnel, Firefighter I introduces firefighting concepts, practices and techniques necessary for success within the fire service. Based on the Firefighter Level I objectives from NFPA Standard 1001, this course develops knowledge, skills and abilities based on performance criteria for the following topics: fire department organization, firefighter safety, fire behavior, personal protective equipment, self-contained breathing apparatus, fire extinguishers, building searches, forcible entry, ground ladders, ventilation, hose practices, fire streams, and loss control.

The course consists of performance criteria in: incident command, building construction, ropes/knots, rescue procedures, forcible entry applications, ventilation practices, fire extinguisher applications, suppression of structural fires, tactics, vehicle suppression, water supply, loss control, fire cause determination, fire department communications, fire suppression systems, hazardous materials, weapons of mass destruction, confined space safety and fire prevention practices.

Edited by Remember585

While reading the OFPC Website, I noticed this for the first time:

Firefighter I equivalents are: Firefighting Essentials (01-05-0023) and Initial Fire Attack (10) or Basic (01-05-0006) and Intermediate Firefighter (01-05-0057)

I'm pretty up on this stuff and don't recall seeing this before, does anyone know when they decided on this? I kinda feel left out in the dark.... :angry:

Now, I have a question. Are guys who are from the old school "Essentials only" days required to take additional to remain on the interior list? Some of them have 25-30 years experience that guys today can't compare with, and are great assets because of their experiences.

And, not to runaway on the topic at hand, but when OFPC decides to create equivalencies or new "recommendations" they should get the word out better. I haven't seen anything come across my desk (or email) with some of the newer info I found today looking at their site. I like to think I stay on top of these things and get annoyed finding out "by accident" looking for other info.

Edited by Remember585

Us old ones .... (and hate to use this term makes me feel older) are sort of grandfathered in

Still need Essentials and Initial Fire Attack was pretty common "back in the day" to get both

and before this gets to be a young vs old thing .... when I 1st started out as a firefighter was told this by and instructor

"Two bulls are standing on the hill. The little bull jumps up and down and

yells, "Hey, let's run down the hill, find the best looking heifer and do it

right." The old bull looks down at the young bull and says, "Let's walk down

the hill and do them all"

While reading the OFPC Website, I noticed this for the first time:

I'm pretty up on this stuff and don't recall seeing this before, does anyone know when they decided on this? I kinda feel left out in the dark.... :angry:

if I remember correctly it was a prerequisite issue. If FF1 was a pre-req for a class and you had the other classeds mentioned it was considered to have met the pre-req.

Can I ask, what's the thinking behind requiring rookie interior FFs to be FAST trained? In our dept. you have to have at least five years service before you can be involved in FAST operations, which makes a lot of sense to me

If you are interior than chances are you may end up in a situation to have to save another fighter.

The list of the certifications one has to meet is great on paper in department regs, but the Chief or IC should have the final go or no go on who will be interior. I have seen some people who have taken classes to be a firefighter due to requirements of membership, but have no intention of being interior firefighters. The IC should be confident in your abilities to operate safely in the tasks they assign to you. This should be based on certifications and experience.

FAST should be given to all interior personnel. Whether they are part of a dedicated FAS Team or not is up to them and their departments, but everyone should know the two most important things. How to save themselves and how to save their brothers.

Survival has been offered by some Instructors in addition to the Firefighter I course, with the Instructor having the forward thinking to basically give both at the same time. Sadly, it is still not a part of the actual course curriculum. It should be, and hopefully it gets done soon.

I don't disagree with you on knowing how to perform basic rescue skills, every interior FF should know that, but as for actual formal FAST training and participation in an organised FAS team... well, my FF1 instructor said 'don't think about doing the FAST course until you have at least a couple of years experience and a few fires behind you' or words to that effect. I make a distinction between having the basic rescue skills to save a brother, and being a fully-trained FAST member.

Re. survival, I see you're right and I'm wrong; I was under the impression that all future FF1 courses were to be combined FF1/survival courses, as mine was, but looking at the DES website that's clearly not the case (although IMHO it *should* be!).

Mike

Mike

From What I Know About Fairview's FAST Team Is That It Is A New York State Certified FAST Team. So They Run Thier Team 24/7/365, So Everyone In That Fire House Would Need The Training, Because The Go Mutial Aid To The City Of Poughkeepsie And The Local Area With Thier FAST Team. Hope That Helps.

Thomas

Fairview's FAST Team Is That It Is A New York State Certified FAST Team.

NYS does not certify FAST teams.

I think its great to have high standards for FAST but I think the volunteer sector has gone overboard. A FAST is no good unless it is on scene so if you have a mix of youth and experience on your team and it responds quick that is good. All municipal career departments that I know of use probies in there first days in the field as part of their company that provides the FAST function.

I don't have a problem with outside helpers....but, they should not be called firefighters. It can be very decieving when a dept claims to have X number of firefighters when 30%, 50% or whatever wont go in. How serious is this? If a department has 35 active members and 1/2 wont do interior attack, the remaining 17 or 18 are not enough people and you need to bring in more people (paid or vol).

What happens when only 2 interior members respond, are you counting the outside "helpers" counted as the 2 out? They can't.

Of greater importants, how many members who have completed the training (regardless of what level it is) and are considered "interior" are unwilling or unable to enter an actual (not at the training center) structure fire.

Haz-Mat at the operations level (you will get in firefighter 1)

HazMat Ops given by OFPC does not nor has it ever met all of the OSHA requirements for Hazmat Ops. The Law is clear on the training required and Only your agency is qualified to complete that training and it is required prior to the 1st response you make. (read 29CFR 1910.120).

Also OFPC use to teach HMO in 15 hrs, then they said do the same material in 9. When you look over what they require, it can not be completed in the time given to it in FF1.

departments that are doing mutual aid might be required to adhear to the department recieving the mutual aid's requirement.

Could this be the reason that many dept's skip one dept for another in who they request MA?

by ny state law do you need ff-1 (or equiv) to be an interior firefighter?