Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NYS Fire Chief's Show @ Lake George

33 posts in this topic

Anyone here going to the show next thrs -sun?

I be there with a few from my station, Going thrs and Friday

2008 Exhibit Hours

Thursday, June 12:12:30 – 5:00 p.m.

Friday, June 13: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Saturday, June 14: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

I hope to go up Saturday

going up thursday night for the friday show and then coming home on friday night

going up thursday night for the friday show and then coming home on friday night

I'm going up ther will be there Thursday till Sunday stayin in marine village

Its a great time every year

Going up Thursday, coming home on Sunday. Staying at the Mohican. Haven't been to the Chief's since the days of the Concord. Looking forward to Lake George.

We going to the memorial service on thrs nite then the show friday

We going to the memorial service on thrs nite then the show friday

Not sure if everyone is aware that they stopped charging for admission and you have to obtain your passes from the exhibitors (they raised the exhibitor fees to cover). they are free 1 day passes.

I had fun, saw a few trucks and dept names i remember from this board LOL

LOTS of venders and ladder trucks there, I never seen so many ladder trucks and Chief cars in 1 place

Anything new to this area being displayed up there?

They had Harrison Engine 13 at the show but i believe the show was not as good as last year nothing new and there were a lot of venders selling the same things (Airpacks, Bailout supplies, boots, radios, and vest) were main things going I thing it was just to tight this year because they got denied for parking on the roadway for the trucks.

Damn, if it was only in the week of July 20th-27th. I would've stopped by! :lol:

Mike

They had Harrison Engine 13 at the show but i believe the show was not as good as last year nothing new and there were a lot of venders selling the same things (Airpacks, Bailout supplies, boots, radios, and vest) were main things going I thing it was just to tight this year because they got denied for parking on the roadway for the trucks.

Yea my Chief said same thing, It was all new to me i just wsh they had more trucks LOL

I saw that Harrison Engine

Harrison Engine 13 is really nice, i sat in it at Somers muster

OK. So I was leaving Lake George on Thursday was up there from last week. I saw alot of chief's trucks from all over the state of NY and NJ too. So my ? is, With the gas being over $4 a gallon and Lake George a good trip upsate, in a truck that gets 18 miles to the gallon,who pays for the gas? And before anybody say that it was for the show, I saw them driving around town,and that was on Wednesday (show was Thurs to Sun)and at night familys getting out of them to go to eat. I even saw some parked at Great Escapes on Thursday during the day when the Chief show was going on!! I know some citys and town have taken PD cars from cops that would take them home after there shift. They are also being told to turn the cars off when on calls. Will the FD do the same?

Just an FYI to anyone who goes... Fairview (Dutchess) was there on Thursday and was approached by a Deputy Sheriff and told to pass the word that any car parked along the side road just West of the convention will be ticketed.

Edited by FFD941

I took some but have to finish the cam and get a disk make, Yea i know time to buy a diggy cam LMAO

aww too bad you wernt invited dont hate cause we like to go and see new things and buy new equipment for our departments typical typical ego attitude

Ego? I think he was expressing something called his opinion.

Doesn't the convention have training classes as well? Do many people attend those?

Personally, I love the educational oppurtunties at a lot of the conferences. However, I've grown to HATE the exhibit hall. I like to go to check out new products, apparatus, etc. However, those that insist on toting their entire family along and those who feed the vendors who make cool stickers, embarrasing t-shirts, and useless helmet doo-dads really ruin it for me. Rarely do I see people actually using the expo part as an educational tool. It's also fun to see departments going to Morton's Steakhouse, and billing it to the department.

That's one of the reasons I hate Baltimore (expo, not the training). I do love the JEMS conference exhibit hall, because it's mostly professionals who are making use of the oppurtunity.

As far as the NYS convention goes, holding it in Lake George is a distraction. Personally, I feel it should be held in a more professional enviroment, in a different location each year so it's accesible to all given it's such a big state. But hey, money talks.

We didnt go to any training classes, We did go to the memorial on thrs that was nice didnt last long, We had 2 guys honored there We also have one on the MacBoston memorial truck

I don't understand what the big deal is. Some people actually go there for educational purposes and some don't. Yea even if your are going for educational purposes why not have a little fun while you are there as well. If your going there for training and check out the expo and looking at new tools to me thats plenty of reason to bring the chiefs car there. You are on business why not use it? I really don't believe that not one person on this site would go up to a convention like this and not also have a little fun. Sorry but in my opinion the volunteer fire service should not always have to be all work and no play only as long as you play after all the work is done. There is a time and place for everything you are in Lake George why not go and hang out for a little while after you are done. Some people here need to lighten up a bit.

I don't understand what the big deal is. Some people actually go there for educational purposes and some don't. Yea even if your are going for educational purposes why not have a little fun while you are there as well. If your going there for training and check out the expo and looking at new tools to me thats plenty of reason to bring the chiefs car there. You are on business why not use it? I really don't believe that not one person on this site would go up to a convention like this and not also have a little fun. Sorry but in my opinion the volunteer fire service should not always have to be all work and no play only as long as you play after all the work is done. There is a time and place for everything you are in Lake George why not go and hang out for a little while after you are done. Some people here need to lighten up a bit.

I agree with this statement 100%. I think their is a time and place for everything. I believe Lake George is a great place to hold the convention. It is unfortunate that the village does not build a convention center for any type of event. As long as the hands on training, seminars, and convention gets done... go out on the lake and have a good, enjoy a nice dinner, and have a few laughs. I also believe that it was a little slow this year and know they can do better with the vendors and apparatus. I didnt take any hands on training this year but from talking to people who did, I plan on attending next year. I had a great time up there, saw some things that our department is going to look into, and cannot wait for it next year.

I agree 100%. If you are going to check out new tools and get some new ideas for your department why not take the district vehicle. You have to eat to, so taking the vehicle to a restaurant isn't a big deal. What I don't agree with is taking the family to this function and stopping at theme parks.

I went up on friday with my 3 year old son. We had a great time. we drove 3 hrs and 15 mins and stayed up there for 5 hrs and then drove 3 hrs and 15 mins home. Saw alot of guys from my county who were staying up there for the whole weekend. Cortlandville had there new ladder truck up there ( the big lime green truck ). My son is still talking about the trip. It was a good father son trip on fathers day weekend. Long but fun.

I went up on friday with my 3 year old son. We had a great time............ My son is still talking about the trip. It was a good father son trip on fathers day weekend. Long but fun.

Awesome!

However, those that insist on toting their entire family along and those who feed the vendors who make cool stickers, embarrasing t-shirts, and useless helmet doo-dads really ruin it for me.

THATS why we take our kids with us Seth! ;)

Edited by x129K

Not only is that an awsome post about a great time with his son, I hope it puts to rest this whole excuse to get away from the wife and kids thing, especially posted on Father's Day weekend. Untrue and insulting

I was at the Convention - had a great time. Bought some new equipment and got info - best place to see new items and get great pricing. Also got some R&R in - and I am not ashamed to admit it!!!!

First time going to Lake George for the Chief's; thought it was a great place to have it. Lots to do and centrally located.

After reconsideration, I do think conventions should be held in areas where people can go out after the day's activities. This adds camraderie, and builds relationships with professionals from other agencies.

However, I still feel that SOME people have the wrong priorities while attending conventions, this goes for both the paid and volunteer sectors.

I definately agree with you there Seth. There are alot of things I keep to myself in regards to conventions, perks, use of taxpayer funds etc...

I can safely say--without getting into detail and upsetting anyone--PRIORITIES -- at times -- for some -- are not what they should be.

That's a hike for harrison isn't it? I mean how fast can a truck go and to go all that way.

Edited by joshlost818