Followers 0
JohnnyOV

3 FF Close Call from Collapsing Roof - RAW VIDEO

21 posts in this topic

Sacramento Firefighters Narrowly Escape Flames

Posted: 06-05-2008

Updated: 06-06-2008 12:18:23 PM

Story by kcra.com SACRAMENTO, Calif. --

A group of firefighters battling a three-alarm blaze at a south Sacramento beauty supply store on Thursday narrowly escaped to safety after the building roof collapsed.

"We had a very close call," said Jeff Lynch, spokesman for Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District.

link to article - http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...mp;sectionId=46

link to video - http://cbs5.com/video/?id=34996@kpix.dayport.com

These guys were very very lucky. Always have your ground ladders set up and in an area where you can quickly get to them.

That is the perfect reason why you can never go wrong in throwing up ground ladders. The 3 FF may have got to the roof from another location, but they could not retreat to their access point. Even the MPO of the engine in the picture could have thrown up a 24' ladder prior to the roof giving in.

The 3 on the roof seemed to have pre-planed where to go if they had to bail out. They all made an immediate dash for the near parapet.

Reminds me once again of something that our instructors in Truck Co. Ops said over and over again (and rightfully so): "In the fire service, as a whole, we don't throw enough ground ladders! (With the possible exception of Boston)"

These guys were lucky that they were so close to the parapet and that one of them saw the collapse starting! Also a good example of teamwork... one guy can cut the roof while another keeps an eye out for changing conditions.

Not Monday morning quarterbacking, just trying to learn... seeing that video the questions I asked myself were:

- assuming the structure was clear, primary search complete, what was the most valuable thing on the scene?

- what kind of roof construction was that likely to be, how long had it been exposed to fire, and why exactly were they operating on it?

Mike

The 3 on the roof seemed to have pre-planed where to go if they had to bail out. They all made an immediate dash for the near parapet.

I'm going to guess that even if they had made a pre-plan of getting off in a hurry, that was their only option since the other ways out were collapsing around them.

Not Monday morning quarterbacking, just trying to learn... seeing that video the questions I asked myself were:

- assuming the structure was clear, primary search complete, what was the most valuable thing on the scene?

- what kind of roof construction was that likely to be, how long had it been exposed to fire, and why exactly were they operating on it?

Mike

1) Yourself -> team

2) I'd be willing to bed a truckload that its truss, and in that case, going back to your first question, would it have even been possible to complete or attempt a primary search without seriously putting the FF lives in jeopardy.

as me and my wife watched the 12:00 news the first and only question i asked myself was..>.

WHERE WERE THE DAMN LADDERS

sorry for the caps

yeah, I would also assume it was wood truss construction... if someone finds out, let us know...

In the words of FDNY Chief Vinny Dunn, "Never Trust the Truss!"

At this point of the fire, they shouldnt have been up there. You could hear them cutting, but on a roof like that there is no reason to cut. We are taught that if we even go on a roof like that, you get on, break skylights or any thing up there that is easly removed to get some venting, and then get off ASAP.

WOW again another great example of why ground ladder's SHOULD always be set up on all sides of the building. They are very lucky.

If I had to guess I would say with the size the building appears to be, that it would have the metal bowstring type trusses. It just goes to show, always ladder more than 1 side of the bldg.

as me and my wife watched the 12:00 news the first and only question i asked myself was..>.

WHERE WERE THE DAMN LADDERS

sorry for the caps

Oh, that's ok, ya have a legit qustion and a VALID point!

it would have the metal bowstring type trusses

just judging from the camera view of the ground, I don't think the bowstring are the trusses used... it appears the roof line is flat, or with a slight pitch... bowstring deal with an arch to help support the load... ( ie, bowl alleys ) .... and if that was the case the front parapet may be taller to hide it...

but I could be wrong !!

The color of the smoke makes me think wood was in there and burning.

Anyone know for sure?

The one thing I remember from my training back in the 70's from the Chiefs down to the Lt.'s anmd the departments instructors, LADDERS, lets get the building laddered on all sides.

Yeah my fault on that I screwed up thinking they were bowstring and now that you mention it Tanker I remembered. I meant lightweight metal trusses (the overnights screw with your mind). I actually didn't even think about the color and density of the smoke, that would make sense that it would be wood trusses. Who knows?

Don't want to be a quarterback here but, What were they doing on the roof in the first place?

I hope they had a change of underwear back at the station..... Very very lucky. Seems like from the tape they saw it or heard something just before it happened, getting to the edge very quickly.