Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Bear Sighting

27 posts in this topic

A bear cub sighting was confirmed by Ossining PD in the vicinity of Rte 133 and 9A / Donald Lane area.

He/she was observed wandering south towards Leewood Drive and Chappaqua Rd in Briarcliff.

State DEC was notified.

I had the joy of looking for YOGI in the woods the other day. Not that big according to one of our guys who crossed paths the other night. About 200lbs.

These incidents will continue to become more common as bears and humans share more and more habitat.

There was a large bear spotted on Main Street at Rose Street the other night in the City of Poughkeepsie.

I had the joy of looking for YOGI in the woods the other day. Not that big according to one of our guys who crossed paths the other night. About 200lbs.

I have a question - why do some PD's assign SO many units in an intense search for a simple sighting (non-problematic bear)? What will you do if you "catch" it? Rob - you say you were looking in the WOODS for Yogi.....Bro...you know bears LIVE in the woods right? :lol::lol::lol: Didnt I teach you anything about critters?

Edited by x129K

True story... several years ago I went bear hunting with Demps121, Get the roof, yfd910, and Fud27. We drove all the way to Acadia National Park in Maine. When we drove into the entrance to the park there was a sign that said "BEAR LEFT <"; so we went home.

You guys MUST be Blondes....

If the average non hunter see's a bear and says it's 300lbs you better cut that weight in half. It's very hard to judge the weight of a bear , I've hunted them for years and when I shot my first one I thought it was 350 plus. Turns out he was only 155. Hopefully they will leave them alone.

Seems to me, I read or heard, somewhere that unless Yogi is treed or problematic, DEC doesn't even want to be called. If ya ee him wandering around the yar go indoors and stay there.

Seems to me, I read or heard, somewhere that unless Yogi is treed or problematic, DEC doesn't even want to be called. If ya ee him wandering around the yar go indoors and stay there.

Thats kinda what i am getting at - for cripes sake - they are bearsa...they live here too!

Do we get that kind of response to a deer sighting? nope.....Coyote? Nope.....

Just silly.

Maybe we get that response because a bear, especially one that is prowling like that can pose a serious threat to human life and property if it is aggrevated. The common black bear about as fast as some horses for a short period of time and has over 2,000 PSI of jaw crushing power. The eastern American Black bear like the ones found around this area can also pose more of a threat to public safety due to the fact that they will and can do anywhere they want and its makes alot to stop a bear. As im sure that buckwrapper can attest to the fact that you can not kill a bear with a service pistol.

I hope this thread doesnt get locked, but I foresee it doing so - as there could be a very healty debate here....

So until then, I will have fun! ;)

As im sure that buckwrapper can attest to the fact that you can not kill a bear with a service pistol.

Please attest to it! I really want to know! If you cant kill a blackie with a GUN, what the hell am I doing chasing them with a little old bow and arrow!?!?!?

I HAVE DEC's Bear Response Protocol, I am just curious why other department's do it like I see on TV all of the time...foot pursuit of bears!

We have a lot of this in the north part of Bergen Co NJ and Passaic Co when they do catch them they bring them back to the woods up in Sussex Co. up by Vernon. But the more people move into the wood and build new homes the bears just are looking for food and a place to live. Just like we do so people should be a bit more aware of the problem of big animals in the urban/suburben area's.

Probably the same bear, was also seen by the Exxon/ shell on Rt 100 in Millwood then headed towards Campfire Rd. A lot of open land over there, Gedney park, power lines and the aqueduct runs through that area, is close to 133/ Donald lane.

Also heard of a mother and cub up in the Shenorock section of Somers, guess as they do build more homes this will become more common. A mother and cub together is much more of a concern for us, as the mom will do just about anything to protect her cub.

X129K this must stay between you and I because I dont think anyone knows this. You can as I did kill a bear with a pistol , I used my .357 and I found him within 50yds. I even know guys that have killed them with those sticks you shoot. But please it's our little secret :lol:

X129K this must stay between you and I because I dont think anyone knows this. You can as I did kill a bear with a pistol , I used my .357 and I found him within 50yds. I even know guys that have killed them with those sticks you shoot. But please it's our little secret :lol:

;)

:lol::lol:

True story... several years ago I went bear hunting with Demps121, Get the roof, yfd910, and Fud27. We drove all the way to Acadia National Park in Maine. When we drove into the entrance to the park there was a sign that said "BEAR LEFT <"; so we went home.

Which part of Maine were you going Bear Hunting?

I forget where I was but I was talking with a Ranger from the area and he said that Bears are going to become close to as common as deer sightings.

post-2996-1213532392.jpg

Here's my bear. I took this pic in my front yard 3/17/06. Heard about 4 shots(gun) about half hour before this fellow appeared. Turns out he was feeding out of someones goat pen and when the goat protested the bear fed off the goat. Have not seen the bear since.

Worcester had a bear problem about a week or so ago. A adult black bear was following the Masspike into the city and got over to the Hope Ave. area right by I-290. City police and Enviornmental Police tried to force it up a tree and then tranquilize it. Then Ladder 4 was to lower it from the tree. They couldn't get it up the tree, so they shot it dead.

Mike

Worcester had a bear problem about a week or so ago. A adult black bear was following the Masspike into the city and got over to the Hope Ave. area right by I-290. City police and Enviornmental Police tried to force it up a tree and then tranquilize it. Then Ladder 4 was to lower it from the tree. They couldn't get it up the tree, so they shot it dead.

Mike

Did the bear kill someone or was it maybe a threat to someone. Probely not so why kill it. If it was a deer walking by I-290 I bet they would'nt have shot it so why the bear. If you LEAVE THEM ALONE they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Mike

I'm curious why they could only tranqualize the bear if they could get it up in a tree. Isnt it more work, because then they have to get him down? If they could shoot the bear on the ground, why couldnt they shoot him with a dart instead? Do they go a little crazy before the tranqualizer takes effect?

I'm curious why they could only tranqualize the bear if they could get it up in a tree. Isnt it more work, because then they have to get him down? If they could shoot the bear on the ground, why couldnt they shoot him with a dart instead? Do they go a little crazy before the tranqualizer takes effect?

They dont like to tranqualize bears on the ground because if you dont hit them in just the right place they will run off and chances are very slim you will recover the animal , which sometimes leads to the death of it. When it's in a tree there is no where for him to go while the drugs kick in. Once they hit the ground they usually pump it full of antibotics and other drugs which they cant do if it runs off.

I know that bears live in the woods. Do you think that I like walking in woods in the heat? Hell no, but I have to follow orders. We were orginally called because the Bear cub was on a persons deck. We were going to scare it into a tree so the trapper could get it.

Did the bear kill someone or was it maybe a threat to someone. Probely not so why kill it. If it was a deer walking by I-290 I bet they would'nt have shot it so why the bear. If you LEAVE THEM ALONE they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

I-290 leads DIRECTLY to downtown Worcester. Population of approx. 175,000. Officers decided it was too much of a risk because they couldn't corner it. I can't say why they did it, as I was not there and I didn't have my scanner on at the time.

Buckwrapper said it best. See his answer.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

UPDATE:

Bear was spotted in Croton on Sunday afternoon

and then Sunday night in Peekskill just off of Welcher Ave / Route 9.

I do believe the bear was in Montrose yesterday evening.