Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Yonkers PD Salaries - up to $250K with OT

24 posts in this topic

Its telling about a city when a Sgt makes more than the mayor based on overtime.

Its telling about a city when a Sgt makes more than the mayor based on overtime.

The Mayor should have scored higher on the test! :lol:

As long as they are actualy working the hours, Good For Them.... The City needs cops and is staffing accordingly!!!!!!!!!

Notice how the article purposely excluded the amount of hours worked by these officers

Notice how the article purposely excluded the amount of hours worked by these officers

That does not surprise me. This paper has never been labor friendly.

The Journal News did an article on the salaries for the Police Department I work for, Clarkstown, about a month ago. I heard they will be publishing all Westchester & Rockland Departments. Reportedly you will be able to click on whatever department online and use a drop down menu to select the officers name to see how much his/her salary is and how much overtime they made.

What exactly does that tell you? Everyone in NYC makes more than Bloomberg (his salary is 1 dollar), what does that mean?

The Journal News has done this story on my job for years and all it proves is that we're understaffed and continue to do more with less. Yonkers is no different!

Great points about the number of hours worked - these guys are missing their families and their lives working those long hours. Yonkers benefits from this overtime by not having to pay more full-time employees and all their benefits.

I would love to see what the employee's, top to bottom, at The Journal News make. I'm sure that they wouldn't be so quick to put in the pay that civil searvant's earn, if they had to show their own as well..

What exactly does that tell you? Everyone in NYC makes more than Bloomberg (his salary is 1 dollar), what does that mean?

The Journal News has done this story on my job for years and all it proves is that we're understaffed and continue to do more with less. Yonkers is no different!

Great points about the number of hours worked - these guys are missing their families and their lives working those long hours. Yonkers benefits from this overtime by not having to pay more full-time employees and all their benefits.

Mayor Bloomberg is a billionaire and part of the ticket he ran under was a decrease in government spending. He gave himself a salary of $1 to show that he was doing this that he want to and not for the money. In addition if he had taken a salary imsure that there would have been a uproar again based on the fact that he is a billionaire.

What is telling that under normal circumstances like in Yonkers, the cops making the city safe regually earn more than the mayor. Thus the crime rate in the given city, this case yonkers, it very high.

Mayor Bloomberg is a billionaire and part of the ticket he ran under was a decrease in government spending. He gave himself a salary of $1 to show that he was doing this that he want to and not for the money. In addition if he had taken a salary imsure that there would have been a uproar again based on the fact that he is a billionaire.

What is telling that under normal circumstances like in Yonkers, the cops making the city safe regually earn more than the mayor. Thus the crime rate in the given city, this case yonkers, it very high.

Actually, the crime rate in Yonkers is rather low given their population and other demographics. This is a credit to their cops who are working long hours to make it safer for the citizens.

I know Bloomberg is a billionaire, maybe he was a bad example. My point was there is no correlation between the salaries of cops and elected officials and the crime rate or anything else in a given municipality.

I personally don't think it is anyone's business what these OFFICERS make. So they made some money. Good for them. I wish my job had OT like that. I would do the same thing.

If Mayor Bloomberg wants to give something back he should start with some of his BILLIONS that he has. Give the CIVIL SERVANTS what the really deserve. How he lays down at night knowing that the OFFICERS and FF's that protect him make so little makes me sick. He takes $1 dollar to be Mayor. Where does the Salary for a NON BILLIONAIRE Mayor go?

The Journal News did an article on the salaries for the Police Department I work for, Clarkstown, about a month ago. I heard they will be publishing all Westchester & Rockland Departments. Reportedly you will be able to click on whatever department online and use a drop down menu to select the officers name to see how much his/her salary is and how much overtime they made.

The J-N is going after ALL civil servents, not just police. it is part of the Gannet Groups "expose" on government. On the Poughkeepsie Journal website you can find any employee for Dutchess & Ulster County. The J-N plans to do the same for Westchester-Putnam-Rockland. It's all public information. Anyone can FOIL their local governements to find out how much (or little) we make.

"Actually, the crime rate in Yonkers is rather low given their population and other demographics......................"

No discredit to the Officers of the YPD, but I don't believe those fudged numbers- I see it, I work there !!!

What the article fails to say is that these officers risked their lives and spent every hour earned other than occasional court time (contractual). People dont realize the toll on relationships and stress when officers are away from there families too better there lives. This time can never be replaced. They all sacrificed themselves for the citizens of the City of Yonkers and to ease the burden of living in such a costly area of the country. With everything going up as far as gas prices, tolls and taxes, base pay salaries are not following suit. City officials also fail to say that it is a city practice and it is much cheaper to pay police overtime then to pay pension costs, health benifits and training. Police in NYCnot only have to live on 25k but now have too worry about losing there parking plaques and getting towed and certain jealous people are worried about a few Easy passes that are perks for people, who have improved our quality of life every day, come on. As far as the officers salaries many of the top earners are involved in the meat and potatoes of crime fighting example: Sgt Kevin Scully, major case Sgt., Detective division. How many people cry about crime when it happens on news 12, the paper, and city council members, but now when these guys go out there and close 95% of all murders and violent crimes you want too complain about paying them for it, Lt Kevin Tighe of the narcotics unit is responsible for bringing in his salary and probably his whole units salary (10 members) with drug forfeture money, cars boats etc. Plus how many grants pay for police overtime. How many officers can not work any overtime due to family obligations. I can destroy this article and it is unfair to the police officers in Yonkers who choose to work overtime, too again be displayed in a negative light. Sure there is fat to cut, but this article is another slap in the face to the hard working, dedicated officers of the Yonkers police department and other departments in our County. I dont think you can put a price on 10,000 white gloves saluting a coffin, journal news. Guess the County Police is next so get your helmets on for the clubbing.

Silly guys, we're only lowly civil servants who aren't supposed to make money. The warm feeling we get inside from public service and the gratitude of gratetful citizens should be compensation enough. Making money is only for newspaper editors and lawyers.

You cant blame the public for these officers wanting to work the extra-extra overtime and staying away from their families. These officers chose to work the extra shifts and the associated tradeoffs that come with it.

Also, one has to question the health and productivity of officers that work too much. Do they risk their own health and the lives of others without proper rest?

I'm not against overtime. But I think the article is trying to point out there are some instances where adding an extra person would be cheaper and also raise the point that some overtime earned may be flawed- Training Dept officers are notorious for this. They sit around lots of time just earning overtime not doing anything or forcing certain training to be longer than the required time simply to pad their checks. If you dont believe me, look at the Training Dept of Yonkers for the last 5 years.

No one is against public servants earning overtime. But the time has come to stop pitying public servants in some municipalities and claiming they dont get paid enough. With overtime, benefits, and a guaranteed pension for life - they are better paid than some corporate executives in Westchester County. The teachers make me laugh the most. They complain they are underpaid. But they only work 180 days of the 365 days of the year. Do the math and they make $40-60 an hour!

Edited by americanpolice

You cant blame the public for these officers wanting to work the extra-extra overtime and staying away from their families. These officers chose to work the extra shifts and the associated tradeoffs that come with it.

Also, one has to question the health and productivity of officers that work too much. Do they risk their own health and the lives of others without proper rest?

I'm not against overtime. But I think the article is trying to point out there are some instances where adding an extra person would be cheaper and also raise the point that some overtime earned may be flawed- Training Dept officers are notorious for this. They sit around lots of time just earning overtime not doing anything or forcing certain training to be longer than the required time simply to pad their checks. If you dont believe me, look at the Training Dept of Yonkers for the last 5 years.

No one is against public servants earning overtime. But the time has come to stop pitying public servants in some municipalities and claiming they dont get paid enough. With overtime, benefits, and a guaranteed pension for life - they are better paid than some corporate executives in Westchester County. The teachers make me laugh the most. They complain they are underpaid. But they only work 180 days of the 365 days of the year. Do the math and they make $40-60 an hour!

The question about health and productivity is a good one!

The articles do nothing to point out that adding more personnel would actually save money and reduce overtime. It's a typical one way view of the top OT earners - it simply makes it look like these guys/girls are getting rich at the taxpayers expense.

Same a corporate executive? Are you kidding me? A mid-level "executive" probably makes in the neighborhood of $150,000 for a 35 hour work week. Depending on the nature of the business there may be commissions, profit sharing, pensions, 401-K, car/travel, etc. that is NOT counted in that salary. A high level executive probably makes 10 times that! This is an hourly rate of $82.42 - what public servant is making that? A cop or firefighter has to work more than 1000 hours of OT to match that executives base pay. That's not the same thing! Most PD/FD salaries are in the range of 30-40 per hour, less than HALF what that private sector executive is making.

I'm not complaining about my pay; I chose this job and the salary/benefits that come with it. I also chose the risks associated with it, the requirement to work nights/weekends/holidays while that executive is off with his family, the shorter life expectancy associated with the profession, the potential health problems, etc. etc. etc.

Unless there is some abuse of the system, like no-show OT or other problems of the past, why is this even newsworthy?

Good postings by both Chris and Toybuff 911,

The newspaper also failed to mention in detail that much overtime comes from the private sector paying the city $68.00 per hour for rent a cops. Stop and Shop in Cross County has one assigned each and ever night.

ToyBuff,

How many cars and boats were seized via forfeiture/ seizure laws by YPD Narco?

And were they auctioned off or being used for undercover purposes???

Thanks

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

Good postings by both Chris and Toybuff 911,

The newspaper also failed to mention in detail that much overtime comes from the private sector paying the city $68.00 per hour for rent a cops. Stop and Shop in Cross County has one assigned each and ever night.

ToyBuff,

How many cars and boats were seized via forfeiture/ seizure laws by YPD Narco?

And were they auctioned off or being used for undercover purposes???

Thanks

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

Cars go either to the city auction or to undercover pct street crime units, anti crime or narco itself. As far as seizures go, when narco hits these guys hit big, millions have been collected over the years and large drug seizures as well. The forfeiture process is very complicated and can take years because the feds want there cut. The department actually has a small staff that works on forfeiture items and grants and the money does make it back into the department eventually. For the actual numbers it is hard to say, the best way is to get the YPD yearly report, which is published once a year with detailed crime statistics and many facts on units and divisions and there accomplishments over the year. It is pretty impressive.

The rent a cop is a large portion of the OT budget. Currently Con Edison has a very large project going on it seems everywhere around the city as well as empire city, stop n shop, stew leonards, cross county both around the holidays as well as all the bridge overtime over the thruway a few years ago. The Housing unit is a grant and the Marine Unit is also a grant as well as some school officers, old dare programs and many community affairs assignments such as vin etching, gun buyback. The K-9 unit recieved a nice grant and Homeland security money finally coming in to the Emergency Service Unit providing much needed equipment and training to the department on topics such as WMD and haz-mat just to name a few off the top of my head. Senator Spano secured a $300,000 grant for our new peacekeeper and equipment (armored rescue truck) Our department has a lot of accomplishments to be proud of and it goes sometimes unnoticed. There are a lot of administrative behind the scenes personell working very hard to keep our department functional and ahead of the curve.

P.S--The city is also forfeiting vehicles seized during dumping arrests and that is a damn good deterrent.

I think they can also legally seize cars belonging to street whore customers, but not sure if they are doing so.

YPD Rent a cop: Movie crews are also using them. Tons of guys were hired during the "Freedomland" riot scenes up at Mulford.

A word about the Journal News: that's a sinking ship and you can see the desperation in their printing.

Printed media is in mass decline and the J-N is no different.

Their fiscal issues coupled with a management full of liberal cut-throats makes it inevitable that more and more aggressive articles will be posted, taking aim at anyone and anything that will get someone to notice the paper. This type of stunt is right in line with when they posted the list of Westchester residents who went through the LEGAL channels to obtain handgun permits. It may be their right to do it, but there's an ethics issue involved, especially when you consider the liberal spin they place on these articles.