Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aston, PA. House Fire

46 posts in this topic

Paul in the picture your talking about Your right I dont think that's a 2.5 either but there is a 2nd firefighter on that line. Count the air packs in the picture :)

Fantastic photos, awesome timing! Thanks for sharing them with us here on EMTBravo...

Future Fireman, first off the house is almost fully involved on arrival I'm sorry to break it to you but your teddy bear is burnt to a crisp, believe me I know people who were at the scene they did all they could have done it was going to be a total loss, and its safe to say that house wasn't running all of it's appliances off of a grill sized propane tank.

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what exactly was the situation surrounding "the gas" what was that all about.... what was the gas involvement, if any, and why wasn't the supply simply shut off at the outside gas meter, on the corner of the house?

Future Fireman, first off the house is almost fully involved on arrival I'm sorry to break it to you but your teddy bear is burnt to a crisp, believe me I know people who were at the scene they did all they could have done it was going to be a total loss, and its safe to say that house wasn't running all of it's appliances off of a grill sized propane tank.

Hey I never said I eliminated that possibility. My point was that it could've comforted the kids alittle bit and been a good PR move. That's not to say that it would've been a priority, but as it seems the public sometimes seems it necessary to bash us occaisionaly.

But never mind that, you claim to have all the answers and you say your location is in JERSEY!? Somethin seems wrong to me if I'm reading someone give me the fire details and they reside in Jersey. You got anything else against me of the like, take it to PM.

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what exactly was the situation surrounding "the gas" what was that all about.... what was the gas involvement, if any, and why wasn't the supply simply shut off at the outside gas meter, on the corner of the house?

This is what I don't get, if it was propane fed, shutting off the gas at the meter IS A MUST!!!!

Mike

Future Fireman while I think your enthusiasm is wonderful maybe it's time to take a step back. Slow down there hero. I'll give some friendly advice. If you make it into the job, which i'm sure you will, you have an apptiude for it on paper, tone your comments down. It won't help you out in the firehouse.

As for our incident priorities:

1. Life Safety.

2. Incident Stablization.

3. Property Conservation. (last one for a reason)

I think they did a good job getting those 3 task accomplished.

3. Improper attack. Those exterior lines are not putting water on that fire. It appears to be an improperly placed DIRECT attack. A NARROW fog could've knocked down some of those window flames. After that, they could've done an EXTERIOR INDIRECT attack to slow the fire until they streched a hoseline to the inside and k/d the seat of the flames.

Putting any water at all is still helping to cool it down, therefore they are making progress. Knocking down fire isnt exactly putting water on top of the flame, its eliminating 1 of the 3 sides of the "fire triangle", HEAT. Since you cant get rid of the fuel and air/oxygen, cooling the area with water is what knocks a fire down.

Edit: Well now I'm reading something about propane. Either way, the fire has already extended throughout the first floor of the home so even shutting off the propane (yes it would help alot) but there would still be a significant amount of fire, validating what I said above that was being done.

Edited by NoFearFD

The "propane fed" fire was from a 20lb. cylinder that was in the rear of the home (exterior). The tank was venting when I was taking the pictures. The first handline went to the front door and the second went immediately to cool down the tank. As this is a 100% volunteer fire department manpower was arriving in "waves". Believe me, I am no way condescending volunteers, I was one long before I became a career firefighter. In my opinion the fire department did the best they could with the manpower they had on the scene. All occupants were out of the home and accounted for long before the first due engine arrived. Water supply was established quite quickly with a 5" supply line. Myself and an off duty Philadelphia firefighter disconnected the 5" line from the hose bed and connected it to the Officer's side intake as there were no available firefighters to complete that task. The pump operator was busy with the two handlines that were being stretched immediately on his arrival. The ladder was raised and extended over the roof of the house but it was never climbed by any personel to vent the roof. As stated in above posts the home appeared to be a total loss even as the fire department was first arriving. I don't believe I would have jeopardized the safety of firefighters if I were the IC on this one either. If you watch the video of this fire on You Tube the remaining fire ravished this home and burned off the entire roof of this home.

SFRD 372

Future Fireman,

While I applaud your enthusism and interest in the fire service, I can tell by some of your comments you are just that, a future fireman. There are quite a few people on this site that are actual firemen and have a great deal of experience. Its ok to voice an opinion, but what are you basing it on? Unless you have actually done some of the stuff you speak about its best to take a step back and listen. Ive been in this business along time, yet I continue to learn from the info that is passed along on this site. Just some friendly advise, please dont take it the wrong way.

Paul DeBartolomeo FDNY L-28

372SFRD

Great photos brother, thanks for the accurate info from someone on-scene to clear up all the questions. Great learning tool to stimulate some constructive conversation.

Paul

If there is one more single personal bash to any participating member of this board, young, old, new or seasoned, action will be taken against said members.

This board and topic are to look and analyze what happened, and what could have been improved. Personal attacks are unnecessary and useless.

Let this be the final warning.

Future Fireman,

While I applaud your enthusism and interest in the fire service, I can tell by some of your comments you are just that, a future fireman. There are quite a few people on this site that are actual firemen and have a great deal of experience. Its ok to voice an opinion, but what are you basing it on. Unless you have actually done some of the stuff you speak about its best to take a step back and listen. Ive been in this business along time, yet I continue to learn from the info that is passed along on this site. Just some friendly advise, please dont take it the wrong way.

Where do you find this Youtube video..besides on youtube!

Future Fireman,

While I applaud your enthusism and interest in the fire service, I can tell by some of your comments you are just that, a future fireman. There are quite a few people on this site that are actual firemen and have a great deal of experience. Its ok to voice an opinion, but what are you basing it on? Unless you have actually done some of the stuff you speak about its best to take a step back and listen. Ive been in this business along time, yet I continue to learn from the info that is passed along on this site. Just some friendly advise, please dont take it the wrong way.

Very well said, Paul!

One of the things that I like about this site is the opportunity to learn from each other and provide new or inexperienced members with the added insight of veterans. Discussions about tactics or approaches to any situation are just that - discussions - and we shouldn't become argumentative or hostile about it!

If you're one of the veterans, try to remember when you were a probie/rookie/newbie!

If you're a newbie, remember that you have a lot to learn and sometimes it is better to just soak it all in!

Regardless, remember the words of Abraham Lincoln: "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"!

Where do you find this Youtube video..besides on youtube!

It's posted on YouTube, but try the Canadian YouTube URL below if a firewall content filter or such, is blocking your access to the site: :rolleyes: (these are identical to the ones posted on the Greenridge FD site)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=faIlRUtOD_A

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DibOeopnk

Was this a volunteer dept or a career dept??

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Changed from ALL CAPS

voulenteer dept 1ST due and i believe that the first in mutal aid dept was combo due to the fact they signed on the air very fast.