Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - Hyattsville MD. Fire Department - 7/24/08

30 posts in this topic

I have been riding with the Hyattsville MD. Fire Department this week and on Thursday, we were first due with their 100 ft. Seagrave tiller into this 1-1/2 story SFD - Brick with a wood frame addition off the rear. It was dispatched as a vacant but between a fairly new minivan in the driveway and the neighbors indicating that someone maybe inside, a quick primary search was conducted w/o a hand line which was negative. The first due pumper from Bladensburg was in several minutes after Hyattsvilles truck and while they were waiting for the first due engine (Down here it's a wagon....), numerous ladders were "thrown"...... The fire started in the wood framed addition at the rear of the structure and there was light to moderate smoke from rear upon arrival. Two lines were stretched through the front door with an additional line ran to the rear as horizontal and vertical ventilation were preformed and the fire was quickly knocked down...... Here's a few shots.....

338336115_e6jED-L-1.jpg

Hyattsville Truck Ones crew goes to work...

338336243_wmDf7-XL.jpg

T-1's crew with the irons and a water can heads for the front door.......

338337605_nPssR-XL.jpg

Taking the front door.......

338339758_FkFEh-XL.jpg

HFD. Firefighter Steve Petit - left, who was the tiller man on Truck One on the way in, now assumes the position/duties of the outside vent man and throws his first ladder..... Once he threw all his ladders and took the windows, he scotted up and headed for the roof to open the same..... These guy's are a well oiled machine......

338341453_ryHiA-XL-1.jpg

The first line from Bladensburgs wagon makes the front door as things start to liven up a bit............

Nice pics Bill.

I see a newspaper laying on the ground and the Truck forcing entry - was someone home? Looks to me like an early to mid-morning fire, no?

Thanks for sharing.

**Just read your whole write-up on top, I'm a tool....**

Edited by Remember585

Its awesome that you captured a working fire while riding with the first due truck company and so vividly capturing the emotions and actions that took place.

I hope to see more.

One of the members of our department will soon be moving down to Hyattsville and living in their quarters until he graduates college.

Great shots btw!

Bill great shots again and the some of the ones on your site are awesome in my opinion

Photo:

First off great shots, I'm originally from "down there" and enjoy hearing how they operate. We all know that MD, and states to south of MD run large county wide combination departments. What was the total crew size on the Hyattsville Truck?, Do they run an engine out of Hyattsville? Bladensburg is close but not that close considering the congestion in the area (you are on the southside of the Univ of MD on Rte 1. closer to the District) How many on the Bladensburg engine. Was there any POV response or stricly members on apparatus only. Finally there was another poster mentioning the time of day, I am wondering how many were in the Hyattsville firehouse available for this worker.

Sorry about all the questions but many on this board, including myself believe a county wide system may serve the citizens better. You saw it work first hand so I would like to find out more as I think others on here would.

Interesting post and photos, thanks.

Great shots!!!!

I do have a question though: do they not issue GLOVES as part of the PPE down there??? Not a single person, including those that were activly making forcible entry at the front doo, were wearing any.

One of my members is a live-in at Station 34 (Chillum-Adelphi), I know they run with Hyattsville all the time I wonder where they came in on this box. Hyattsville runs with a engine, ladder, squad (heavy rescue), and BLS ambulance which is not that common down in PG from what I understand.

Edited by JBJ1202

Very Good Pics... Isn't that the same county as Kentland 33?

PG County works on a "single pull" system. That is, unless you phone in (prior to dispatch, not when you hear the call) that you have more than one rig staffed, your station will only have one apparatus pulled from it. There is no "blue light brigade" in PG. Members must be in the station for them to run the call.

In the case of this job, Bladensburg (Company 9) would have called in their staffing to communications to indicate that Truck 9, E9-2 and E-93 were staffed with a minimum of 4 crew. When the tones dropped, communications begins filling the box with the closest available apparatus. Ordinarialy if Bladensburg hadn't called in surplus staffing, the box may have hypothetically looked like Truck 1 (Hyattsville) Engine from 9 (Bladensburg) Engine from 12 (College Park, U-Maryland), Truck from 34 (Chillum-Adelphi).... etc. etc.... Now to add to apparatus being pulled from first availble, if another company that is returning from another run or fuel, they may "Bid" on the call by indicating that they are in the area and request to be added to fill the box.

Hyattsville is one of the rare stations that does have Engine, Truck, Heavy Squad, Ambulance. However, most companies do have at least two types of apparatus... either Truck/Engine, Engine/Squad, etc. Berwyn Heights (Company 14) is the only company that doesn't have an Engine (anymore). They have a Tiller and Heavy Squad.

Yes it's the same county as Kentland....

Edited by mfc2257

I love the urgency captured in the first pic. Great shots!

Great shots!!!!

I do have a question though: do they not issue GLOVES as part of the PPE down there??? Not a single person, including those that were activly making forcible entry at the front doo, were wearing any.

They got that whole SCBA waist strap thing going also

Here are a few more....... I'll try to anwer questions later but MFC 2257 did a good job of answering the response questions....... Have to run.....

338342103_T6TcP-L-1.jpg

The smoke starts to bank down.......

338344394_257nN-L-1.jpg

Making the rounds....... The outside vent man continues to take windows......

338346558_Ubc5Q-XL-1.jpg

Batter-up....... The OV tries to completely clear the window......

338349980_wtfk8-XL-1.jpg

With all horizontal venting completed, the OV returns to the truck to get an airpack and saw.....

338350741_33Qyx-L-1.jpg

Off to the roof above the fire......

I love the urgency captured in the first pic. Great shots!

same here, that first pic shows great emotions. nice shootin'!

Great shots!!!!

they do just not the 2 putting on packs

The box card in PG is Eng/Truck/Eng/Truck/Eng/Eng/3rd due special service which makes up RIT (Truck/ Squad/ Rescue Engine/ Quint) . Truck1 must have been "on the air" since they would run an engine for a first due fire with only one crew. This box assignment looked like this E72,E441,E92,E93,Trk1,Trk9,Trk12,BC4,DC810. As for the gloves, they were not on since they would have to take them off to don the scba, neither can or bar man had their face piece on while forcing entry. Ladders man generally does not put a pack on until all ground ladders are thrown, thats who you saw running around throwing ladders and venting until he went to the roof which he then had a pack. Thats not a long run for Bladensburg, they can shoot down bladensburg rd, and throw a right on 38th ave. Im just wondering what 55 was on that they were not on this box.

Great shots, and great tactics being employed by a well trained ladder company. Hey photo were the Hayes boys on scene for this one? I work with their Dad. Why do guys have point out only the negative aspects of these photos. Gloves and pack straps, based on what I see in these pictures and what I know about this deptartment Im sure the brothers use proper PPE. Lets try and focus on the positive of great photos and sound tactics instead of nit picking every last detail.

Paul D.

The box card in PG is Eng/Truck/Eng/Truck/Eng/Eng/3rd due special service which makes up RIT (Truck/ Squad/ Rescue Engine/ Quint) . Truck1 must have been "on the air" since they would run an engine for a first due fire with only one crew. This box assignment looked like this E72,E441,E92,E93,Trk1,Trk9,Trk12,BC4,DC810. As for the gloves, they were not on since they would have to take them off to don the scba, neither can or bar man had their face piece on while forcing entry. Ladders man generally does not put a pack on until all ground ladders are thrown, thats who you saw running around throwing ladders and venting until he went to the roof which he then had a pack. Thats not a long run for Bladensburg, they can shoot down bladensburg rd, and throw a right on 38th ave. Im just wondering what 55 was on that they were not on this box.

55's wagon was probably tied up on a medic local or on a minor alarm. This never went to a 2nd alarm so even if 55 cleared their prior within minutes of dispatch 1, 9, & 7 would have smoked them into the job with full staffing at roll call... 55 would have been placed in service no matter what.

55's wagon was probably tied up on a medic local or on a minor alarm. This never went to a 2nd alarm so even if 55 cleared their prior within minutes of dispatch 1, 9, & 7 would have smoked them into the job with full staffing at roll call... 55 would have been placed in service no matter what.

Thats what i figured, 55 would have beaten 7 & 9 in still though depending on their location in their 1st due. 55's station is on Rhode Island and 38th and they would of had a straight shot to the alarm. I would imagine they would have been 1st due truck if all units were in quarters

More GREAT photos, Bill!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

post-128-1217180630.jpg

HFD. Firefighter Steve Petit - left, who was the tiller man on Truck One on the way in, now assumes the position/duties of the outside vent man and throws his first ladder..... Once he threw all his ladders and took the windows, he scotted up and headed for the roof to open the same..... These guy's are a well oiled machine......

Just to point out a safety concern.

In this picture it would have been a better use of FF's if one of the five that was 'packing up' helped the tiller man raise the 24. It would of made the raise safer if there were 2 sets of eyes looking for hazards. The ladder looks to be within 2-3 feet of the structures' electrical service line. A slip in footing or raising the ladder could have ruined the day.

When ever I touched a ladder and still to this day when a grab a step ladder, I can hear NRFD's D.C. Kelly saying "look up before you put up". He never let us forget it and I haven't.

Edited by jack10562
resized

Great shots, and great tactics being employed by a well trained ladder company. Hey photo were the Hayes boys on scene for this one? I work with their Dad. Why do guys have point out only the negative aspects of these photos. Gloves and pack straps, based on what I see in these pictures and what I know about this deptartment Im sure the brothers use proper PPE. Lets try and focus on the positive of great photos and sound tactics instead of nit picking every last detail.

Paul D.

Paul,

I agree with you 1000% on this one. The pictures show that this truck co. have obviously done this before, and have a perfect understanding of the duties of the first due truck at a private dwelling fire.

I know for years you have been a proponent of riding positions, and watching these men go to work through these pictures validates the premise.

That OVM was a machine!

Bill, once again, great pics....really captured the essence of a job...

"Just to point out a safety concern.

In this picture it would have been a better use of FF's if one of the five that was 'packing up' helped the tiller man raise the 24. It would of made the raise safer if there were 2 sets of eyes looking for hazards. The ladder looks to be within 2-3 feet of the structures' electrical service line. A slip in footing or raising the ladder could have ruined the day.

When ever I touched a ladder and still to this day when a grab a step ladder, I can hear NRFD's D.C. Kelly saying "look up before you put up". He never let us forget it and I haven't."

Please tell me the above quote is a joke. Looks to me he knows what he is doing and did an excellent job! Later pics show ladders everywhere, but he was unsafe?! Come on...

Edited by 5slow

You won't find too many guys helping to raise the 24 footer in those parts. If you're on the rig then you're expected to be able to handle that job on your own.... The 35 footer, the chauffer might help you throw.... but that argument has been made elsewhere on this forum.

"Just to point out a safety concern.

When ever I touched a ladder and still to this day when a grab a step ladder, I can hear NRFD's D.C. Kelly saying "look up before you put up". He never let us forget it and I haven't."

Please tell me the above quote is a joke. Looks to me he knows what he is doing and did an excellent job! Later pics show ladders everywhere, but he was unsafe?! Come on...

If you need help throwing a simple 24' ground ladder go back to working for the post office or go to ladder school. These guys in PG county have their stuff together, They would run circles around some depts up here. Stop looking at pictures and busting on guys who dont have their gloves on while the photo is being taken... which snaps at about a freakin milli second im sure they put their gloves on.. just cause their not connected to their wristlets like in grade school does not mean they didn't use them. The truck is bustin a move here, Sometimes I think up here in the great north our heads are thinking about chin straps and tools tied down on the rig then thinking about throwing ladders and making an aggresive search in a Timely manner these guys are working and THINKING on their own at that moment in time. Belive me these guys are well skillled VOLUNTEER FIREMAN injurys and or worse are little to none down there and they see way more work than most of us in these parts.

In the last picture posted above, notice the other ladder that is being thrown at the C/D corner of the building... All this happening just as the crew in entering the building.

In Westchester, laddering (even for most truck companies.... of which I know very few REAL truck companies in Westchester) is an afterthought. Everyone wants to be the roof man, the hook, man, S&R, etc.... the ground ladders are usually still on the rig well into the job.... NOT everyone but most are guilty of this.

Edited by mfc2257

Lad45der very well said, I assume most of the guys that are nit picking this operation could of done a better job themselves.

Yeah right! These guys are as squared away as they come. I personally know some of these members and I know training is paramount to them, and they run an aggressive shop. We could all learn from these dedicated members, yet we choose to point out the nonsense of waist straps, gloves, and the portable ladder. As was previously stated, if you cant throw a 24 by yourself join the gym.

There is no harm in trying to find things that could be done better. No one has sid these guys don't know what they're doing or that they aren't capable of doing their job. They have pointed out mistakes we all make that could result in serious injury.

LTNRFD, I see where you're going but I think its a lack of depth perception with a phot that makes it look more dangerous than it is. It looks like the wires are running through the branches of that tree so I'm going to guessing there is much more clearance than it looks like.

As for the gloves, the OVM and everyone on the steps with the line were wearing gloves so it seems safe to assume most if not all are smart enough to wear their gloves. No wearing them while forcing the font door with the conditions shown in that photo doesn't seem like such a big risk.

If you go to Bill's page on smugmug you'll see that not only did they get 2 ground ladders up in the front but there is another in the rear as well. I say great job by the brothers from PG county :)