Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
americanpolice

I-87 Crash- Jurisdictional Fingerpointing or Cry-Baby Reporter?

14 posts in this topic

Actually, I work in Yonkers...however off for this incident. The thruway is policed by the NYPD within the "confines" of NYC and the NYSP throughout the rest of the state. The Yonkers police routinely patrol the thruway between posts and during normal business however it is not the jurisdiction of the Yonkers Police! The YPD assists the NYSP with incidents on the Thruway but never follows up cases nor comments on other departments investigations! The Yonkers Fire Dept also responds on the Thruway because it does run through Yonkers!

The article is the Journal News bashing POLICE agencies once again. They call as soon as they hear jobs dispatched and want answers that just aren't available and they have pissed off everyone in the world! They have a really bad attitude and very little understanding obviously! I am sure there was confusion as to immediate jurisdiction at the scene if it were right on the border, and I am sure no one would answer any of their questions other than confirm they are at the incident! LoHud is a good source for inaccurate news...but not nearly as good as News12!

Edited by Oswegowind

I don't see anywhere in that linked article where there is even a HINT of any agency jurisdictional issue.

I would be really interested in hearing where did you come up with that "finding" unless of course, the newspaper article was edited by the author between when you posted, and I read it.

I don't see anywhere in that linked article where there is even a HINT of any agency jurisdictional issue.

I would be really interested in hearing where did you come up with that "finding"

Was that for me?

Otherwise...from Mike's photos/IA, it looks like everyone was there to help and no one was neglected but the MEDIA!!!!! Too damn bad!

I would be really interested in hearing where did you come up with that "finding" unless of course, the newspaper article was edited by the author between when you posted, and I read it.

Yep...edited.

Here is a quote of the initial blurb, taken from comments section;

CBS1578 wrote:

"New York State Police insisted the case belonged to New York City Police. New York City police insisted the case belonged to Yonkers police. Yonkers police insisted the case belonged to New York State Police or New York City police."

Sounds like nobody wants to deal with the US Postal Police . . . how pathetic is that

8/1/2008 11:14:34 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything in this article either, that would be construed as fingerpointing. Just the comments left by readers. However, that accident is DEFINITELY in Yonkers.

Edited by JBE

In the first article on lohud.com it said:

"New York State Police insisted the case belonged to New York City Police. New York City police insisted the case belonged to Yonkers police. Yonkers police insisted the case belonged to New York State Police or New York City police."

This is the jurisdiction issues that are being addressed.

Was it really necessary for the Journal News to put that in thier article? I figure they started calling the various PD's this AM for information and got what they felt was the runaround. Oops, nobody wants to talk to the Journal News? Can't imagine why. The scene was investigated overnight and released, so somebody must have took ownership. Reads like sour grapes, very professional.

The first event of the accident started around the pedestrian bridge where the tractor trailer first hit the center divider. The truck then kept moving south before crossing over and striking the SUV. It is possible that the incident began in Yonkers and ended in the Bronx. In any event, no part of the accident investigation is on Yonkers. It's between the NYSP and NYPD, who were hashing it out when I was there.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything in this article either, that would be construed as fingerpointing. Just the comments left by readers. However, that accident is DEFINITELY in Yonkers.

The edited the initial posting.

Was it really necessary for the Journal News to put that in thier article?

Is it necessary to report most of the things that get reported in any of the local papers? Seems like the reporting in any of the Gannet dailies (Poughkeepsie Journal, Journal News, etc) is at an all time low. If you take the this article every sentence is its own paragraph. That's not the way I learned English.

Is it necessary to report most of the things that get reported in any of the local papers? Seems like the reporting in any of the Gannet dailies (Poughkeepsie Journal, Journal News, etc) is at an all time low. If you take the this article every sentence is its own paragraph. That's not the way I learned English.

Due to the profileration of on-line news media, the newpaper business is in avery deep slump. That is why many publications like The New York Times raised the price of its paper and why they are making the page the news is printed on smaller. It would appear that the Gannett Group is seeking to increase its reader-base by publishing "spun" articles.

Regarding the paragraph size, I was always told by my teachers that in a newspaper article, you make the paragraph only a few sentences long so people do not become lost in a sea of words and the point that you are trying to convay comes out.

It would appear that the Gannett Group is seeking to increase its reader-base by publishing "spun" articles.

Spun articles are one thing, some of theirs are just plain useless.