Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Old Centennial Hose Firehouse Collapse

40 posts in this topic

Now you all can have a piece of your very own!

on a serious note sorry to hear it BUT that the risk when you try to move a building!

Edited by efd184

The firehouse under Rt 9? How far did it get?

I just came buy there 20 min ago .It was a sad mess I remember that place the way it was when I was a little kid .it is just a shame

How Far was it moved before it collapsed?

I think I saw all the king's horse's and all the king's Men on their way down, oh wait, wrong story, but I think they can help!

I just got back from there as well Its a sad mess theres talk about taking the old sign 4Centennial4 and putting it in front of the current station with some If not all of the bricks from the old station

Edited by crazyguy77

that sucks, peekskill historics but a lot of effort in keeping that building alive and apart of their history. too bad.

Wow. Wasn't that house active when dains lumber yard caught fire? What a tragic loss. Peekskill fd should use the bricks from that to build the new fire house. And send the sigh to the FASNY musem at the firemens home.

30 years of negelect was just too much for the old girl to make the move.

It does not appear it made it too far at all.

Oh well, that's what happens, sometimes they make the move, other times they don't.

Just got done reading the article on lohud. Good article and good pictures by BFD stu bayre.

On to finish a job shop earlier, Sad To hear after all the fighting back and forth to either save or get rid of the fire house to see the project fail.

It's really too bad this happened. The prospect of relocating and restoring the building was an admirable undertaking.

Anyhow, now Peekskill can concentrate on moving forward with the plans for construction of the NEW fire station!

There are pictures on lohud.com of the building during what looks like the few moments directly after the collapse.

Someone wanna grab me a brick for my collection ? It's a real shame it collapsed, what a beautiful old firehouse it was !

Very sorry to see the untimley end to an old firehouse. Was glad to have seen the efforts to save. Having servered as a Captian in the old firehouse when it was closed, I have fond memories. Hope some of the old sand stone "4-Centennial Hose" is found so it can be placed in the new station.

Should have an Auction for the bricks the help cost on the new firehouse i bet you could easly sell a brick for 50-100 dollars a peice.

it was such a shock to see it go down. i couldnt wait for the museam to open. im glad that no one was hurt tho!

Posted this in the other thread, might as well post it in this one too.

Sorry to see the old place go, I have fond memories of hanging out there with my father when I was a kid talking with the career guys and volunteer members unfortunately alot of them are no longer with us but all in all I learned alot at that firehouse,especially the value of friendship. Now that I'm a 25 year member of the company I feel the loss alot greater and I don't appreciate some people making wise remarks about it being a waste of money, I'm sure if it were your firehouse you would want to preserve it and its history. This was just an unfortunate accident, lets just be thankful nobody was hurt.

I'm sure if my grandfather was still alive booth he would agree with you. My grandfather was a member of fire patrol back in the day, I still have some of his things and was going to donate them to the museum. I even have the old orange sign that the firefighters had in their personal cars the reads "fireman". I'm sure he's rolling in his grave right now. When I was younger that house and 45 was the only houses he would talk about when he was active.

RocklandFires,

Thanks for sharing that information about it making CNN national news.

I've held back on making comments about this until now.

Many of you poked fun at this incident, even a refrence to people "clapping" when it collapsed?

I have just one question, was that before or after it was reported that people may be trapped under it

in the inital dispatch of the old firehouse collapse? Anyway....

You can make jokes about it and even the old favorite "tax payer dollars" were

being wasted but to me that Firehouse meant something a lot deeper than just

a building. It was a peice of history, 118 years old, a historial landmark to be exact!

Lets never forget that on August 1, 1918 two members of Centennial Hose were killed

in the line of duty by a Building Collapse at the Fleischmann fire.

FF John Torpy and FF Walter Cole never returned to the Firehouse that day.

I am sure that Firehouse meant something to them and the family members of both

Firefighters. We lost seven Firefighters that day in Peekskill.

So yes, that Firehouse meant something to me as a member and I am sure it does

to ALL members of Centennial Hose past and present.

VERY SAD LOSS!

Respectfully,

Robert W. Casasanta

Past President

Centennial Hose Co. # 4

Very sad to see piece of history ruined especially when there was so much meaning with that house.