Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Kudos To Greenburgh area PD's On Centralization Plans!!

22 posts in this topic

According to this week's Enterprise (our local area weekly), Greenburgh PD, along with Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Irvington, Elmsford, and Tarrytown PD's are consideing centralizing their dispatch centers into one.

Currently, all PD's have one officer to man the desk and dispatch 24x7. Some of these departments have only two or three cars on the road at most.

Quoted from the Enterprise article, this quote is from Dobbs Ferry PD Chief George Longworth "With seven different dispatches, it leads to confusion and people stepping on each other in responding to the same situation or not communicating to each other about other situations". The Village PD's often work closely together and share much of the same information.

Among the benefits of this centralization agreement mentioned in the article, it would free officers from desk duty on the overnights, to be used elswhere such as on the busier 4-12 shift, or save the Villages money by not having to man the desk.

The agreement would also include a shift in sectors, to allow more "dual-response" type plans as well. As it stands now, calls will be recieved, processed, and dispatched by GPD Communications, located at GPD Headquarters on Tarrytown Road in Greenburgh.

The town would also probaly hire more civilian dispatchers for the GPD Communications. The communications would be done on GPD's current digital equipment, and through grant money, all Village PD cars and officers would be outfitted with GPD Communications equipment, that would also be maintained by the Town Of Greenburgh Radio shops.

The Town of Greenburgh already works with the Village PD's to provide such centralized services such as a Advanced Life Support, SWAT team, Drug and Alcohol Task Force, and Animal Control.

The Initiative was spearheaded by Chief George Longworth of the DFPD. "Intergrated Communications will make for better coordinated multi-agency response to everyday operations as well as emergency situations"

Now for my opinion. This plan has to be approved by the town and village boards, which may cause this plan to stumble.

This is an awesome idea that is long overdue. I'm excited by this, because it's ridiculous for each small dept. to have their own dispatch.

What I am curious about, is who will dispatch the Fire Departments and VAC's that are currently dispatched by these PD's??? I hope this doesn't bump the plan, and I hope these departments use this oppurtunity to go to 60 Control.

This plan will also allow the 7* medics to be better dispersed.

The other rumor floating around town is of a townwide ESU.

This plan will also allow the 7* medics to be better dispersed.

Does Greenburgh actually have this many medics on at one time?

But how many on a regular day?

Is Scarsdale a part of Greenburgh or is it it's own entity?

Some parts of Scarsdale known as Edgemont is in Greenburgh

Who covers edgemont for PD then, scarsdale or greenburgh?

if greenburg pd will be dispatching all of the police from one spot and on one channel what will happen to all of the fire depts that are dispached by there police depts. for example ardsley is dispatcch by there pd who will do it for them and is it the same for dobbs?

I think the answer there is pretty obvious.....

Who covers edgemont for PD then, scarsdale or greenburgh

Edgemont is part of the Town of Greenburgh. It just happens to have a Scarsdale Postal address. It is covered by Greenburgh PD and Greenville FD.

Hey you never know, PD may still dispatch the local villages...

Hey you never know' date=' PD may still dispatch the local villages...[/quote']

I'd much rather see these departments seize the oppurtunity and go to 60 Control.

The flycar medics usually meet up with the single staffed ambulances and transport, or the single staffed ambulances have to rely on taking a patrol police officer or firefighter out of service to drive. On the flip side, the town often loses its police force and patrol coverage to EMS calls.

OR vice versa.....i can remember several occasions where the PD was tied up fully and all EMS calls were going to mutual aide for most of the day. The gunman at the dealership on 119 comes to mind. Abbey was going to Greenburgh M/A all day long.

I''d much rather see these departments seize the oppurtunity and go to 60 Control.

That would be my guess.

I''d much rather see these departments seize the oppurtunity and go to 60 Control.

That would be my guess.

Actually, I see the FD's/VAC's fighting the centralazation plans so they don't lose their hometown dispatch. There's already talk of it.....unfortunetly, there are some really anti-progressive/local control advocates in the area. :sad: I don't see it being feasible for GPD to do it, so I personally think if your going to do all those equipment changes, then just go to 60 control anyways.

Here in Park Ridge NJ there is a centralized dispatch for PD, FD, and VACs, there is about 5 towns involved in it and its sounds like it really works well. I hope the greenburgh towns can do this it would be great for all municiipalities.

I like our KEF227 - lol

I like our KEF227 - lol

Ladys and Gentleman, I present to you Exhibit A of what simple reasons are holding this county back.....LOL!!!

I like the KEF227 too, but you have to know when to let things go! :builder:

I know many departments are toned out by their PD's. I know it would take some getting used to, but 60 Control probably could handle it.

I'm not totally sure about this, but if I'm not mistaken, Tarrytown FD used to be paged by 60 Control, but then got their own frequency (156.225). Maybe rreimund could comment on this.

So this plan means that all the town village cops and fire will be dispatched from the two existing Greenburgh Police frequencies???????

Thank You.

Stay Warm. "Third Watch" is not on tonight.....

Well now here is a question. Are they going to close the police stations? I don't see any plan for dealing with the "walk in" traffic off the street that are looking for non emergency matters to be answered.

COMMANDCHIEF, i did hear that they also wanted to centralize the police department as well (get rid of the village pd's). I also heard that all of the village chiefs, except for Tarrytown's was up for the idea. I dont know what would happen to the existing stations and officers. I dont know if they will be shut down or the stations would become sub-stations or precincts or if the officers will have to find new jobs or become GPD officers. When I was talking to one of the officers in Greenburgh, he said that he had heard that idea every year since he's been hired. We'll see what happens.