Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Pelham Town Constables

11 posts in this topic

I saw their transport van in Pelham today. Other than prisioner transport, what else do they do? Can't find anything about them online.

I am glad that this topic was brought up, as i have been curious about Constables for quite some time.

I know that i did see Constables in Elmsford a few years back at a parade and did not know their role/authority, however i did notice they were carrying firearms. It sounds as if the Pelham Town Constables are responsible for prisoner transport and civil matters. Does anyone know of other local municipalities that have Constables? And if so, what are their roles/capabilities?

My Fiancee is from Vermont and the Constable concept is very popular their in smaller communities, such as the town where she grew up. I believe they are hired by the town and sent to an academy, however it is not as intense/strenuous as a Police academy.

We were visiting there recently and had to stop at a local store. While i got out of my truck, i noticed a newer red, extended cab Dodge Dakota pull into the parking lot. On the dashboard was a single blue strobe light & radar gun. Attatched to his Vermont state license plate was a custom plate that read "Tinmouth Constable." There was no markings what-so-ever on the truck other than the plate. I have to be honest, if that truck were to pull up behind me with light flashing and siren activated, i would be very hesitant to pull over for him (as in a traffic stop). I think i would call 911 and request a marked patrol vehicle to respond with a uniformed officer to talk to.

I would definately like to learn more about Constables to say the least and hear other members ideas/opinions on this topic.

I know brewster had constables for a while and I don't think they were armed they did some of the same things I believe. But now they are police officers and are armed and there cars say police but before that they said constable I don't think the constable thing was working out so that's why they changed .

Edited by texastom791

I found this in Wickepedia: Constables serve at the pleasure of the local towns and villages, usually in a civil aspect for the courts. However, constables are considered law enforcement officers under New York State law. Their powers can be limited by each jurisdiction.

Constables are considered peace officers (NY Criminal Procedure Section 2.10) and have arrest powers within their jurisdiction while on duty (section 2.20) and must complete peace officer training as approved by the NY Division of Criminal Justice Services. There are restrictions on whether appointed constables can have peace officer powers based on the whether the municipality is a town or village and the number of residents. If a constable is not appointed as a constable with peace officer powers, they can only serve civil process.

In texas they have county constables, many of the counties in Texas have both county sheriff depts and county contable depts. The website on the town of Pelham constables is very interesting

I found this in Wickepedia: Constables serve at the pleasure of the local towns and villages, usually in a civil aspect for the courts. However, constables are considered law enforcement officers under New York State law. Their powers can be limited by each jurisdiction.

Constables are considered peace officers (NY Criminal Procedure Section 2.10) and have arrest powers within their jurisdiction while on duty (section 2.20) and must complete peace officer training as approved by the NY Division of Criminal Justice Services. There are restrictions on whether appointed constables can have peace officer powers based on the whether the municipality is a town or village and the number of residents. If a constable is not appointed as a constable with peace officer powers, they can only serve civil process.

I've seen armed Constables in Unionvale (Dutchess County) driving around in EV SUV's.

In Pelham they do court/civil stuff. Real easy job...Believe it is a civil service test but not sure. They also help with traffic by glover field.