Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x648eng119

Yankee Stadium - Final Fairwell

28 posts in this topic

I Can't believe nobody is talking about this yet!!

With the final regular season (and it's not looking too good for post-season) game completed at Yankee Stadium, it's bringing the end of a great era. What a better way to cap it off than Mariano Rivera coming in to get the last 3 outs of the game (although not a save situation), Derek Jeter getting the last at-bat as a Yankee, and Andy Pettite getting the last win.. Not to take anything away from Jose Molina, who hit the last home run, I think personally, I would have rather seen Jeter hit it, as he has been a Yankee all his carrer. The only regret I have, is not being able to make it to a game this year... especially disappointing since I could have gone to Saturday's game if I had the money for the tickets, and wasn't going to the Ossining parade!!

As much as I'm going to miss the old stadium, A-Rod said it pretty well, the Yankees are moving on to bigger and better things! Now lets hope they can bring home a championship in year 1!

i think the new stadium is BS because tickets are going to be through the roof next season "If it aint broke don't fix it" there is nothing wrong with that stadium and personally i think its all about revenues now and the idea of enjoying a ball game is lost

The festivities just ended...that is why...lol

As for the ain't broke comment, that is plain ridiculous. My house wasn't broke when I moved in but after 3 years I gutted it and started over, modernized and made it better. Building a new stadium created many temporary jobs, and will eventually created many more permanent jobs. Another reason is Capitalism at its finest. And then there is the evolving stance...I could go on but I won't

Goodbye Yankee Stadium and thanks for all the memories!

all im saying is that i think the new stadium will not be able to match the original stadium the house that ruth built between the memories the championships and they way the yankees are going there not going to get off to a great start with the new stadium but who knows i hope it brings home another 26 champioships

i was at the game tonight it was crazy something i will remember for the rest of my life im gonna miss that old stadium lots and lots of good memories there nothing will ever beat that stadium its the best 200 dollars i spent on a ticket

I have been a Yankee fan for years but I have to say all this hype about them moving into thier new home has been played out especially when millions of Americans are losing thier homes and most of us can't afford to go to a game because the tickets and food are through the roof to help pay thier million dollar salaries.

I went yesterday and to say it was great would be an understatement. Looking at all the great players of the past that were there, the history and lets not forget the ghosts that roam the stadium. I went to my first game there when I was 7. I went to Monument Park, walked out onto the field and took a vial of stadium dirt. Ticket prices are high and going up. What isn't. Since that first time when I was 7 I have been to close to 250 games there and each time I'm that 7 year old again. Yeah the hot dogs are over priced, so's the beer and everythig else in the world.

Just like Babe hit the first home run in Yankee Stadium in 1923, I wonder who will hit the first home run in the New Stadium???

"The house that Jeter Built"?, "The House that A-Rod built"?, "The house that Giambi built"?, The house Damon Built"? I wonder?????

I got to see the old house two weeks ago, though I'll miss it I agree with what Yogi said ".......it's in here."

I have to agree that the prices are high but so is everything else in this world. I am going to the game to see guys play ball and just feel like a kid again. I been to many games and have done some crazy things to get to them. I once drove from Westchester to New Hampshire picked up my Brother and then drove back to make a World Series game. Didn't even have tickets just said "lets go to the ballgame". The yankee's are as Yogi said in the heart. Even in the new stadium you will remember having a dog in the bleaches and that aw inspiring feeling you get when you walk out the tunnel and see the Sea of Green in front of you. Take the old stadium for what it is, the home of great memories. They can tear it down but the memories will always stay. Tell your kids about the time Arron Boone Jacked one against the Sox, or how Jeter dove head first for that ball, and let them know who Mr. October was. I will be miss my old friend but i am sure that we will meet again someday in a better place.

Yankees In 2009!!!!

As many memories as there have been in the old stadium, we are talking about the Yankees. Hell, I've only been alive since 1983, but my parents tell me all the time, how they were at the game where Reggie hit his 3 home runs. My grandfather used to tell me stories when he was younger about getting a hot dog for a nickel...

With a new stadium will come new memories. The game of baseball isn't going anywhere, and the Yanks are only moving across the street! God willing when I'm old and gray, I'll be able to tell my grandkids stories of seeing great games in BOTH stadiums!

I was at the game and I have to say -- it was great. The early afternoon festivities were HORRIBLY organized in my opinion. I arrived at the stadium at ~1pm, saw lines out the door to just get into the stadium, decided to go get a beer. ~2pm, made my way into the stadium and wanted to get down on the field. I knew the field was slated to close at 4pm to allow them to get it ready for the game... 3:15pm after standing in line for more than an hour, when near the front of the line, we got told nobody else was getting let on! What a let down!

The pre-game activities I thought were very well done, and the fans cared. What I really liked was a lot of yankees games now (read as playoff games) are a corporate event... you see tons of business going on, etc. etc. Last night, it was for the FANS, the people that WANTED to be there and that was evidant by people staying quite late even after the game. There was no rush at the end of the game to get out of the stadium.

One thing that was somewhat mentioned here that bothered me was that throughout the night, it was "THE LAST GAME..." "THE LAST SEASON..." "THE END..." no, it's not the end!! The end of an era in the history of baseball, the yankees, new york city... but not the team!

With that being said though, I'm really a firm believer that the new stadium should NOT be called "yankee stadium" -- I think that'll just ruine the memories of the old stadium. Shea isn't being renamed shea... new stadiu, new era... let the babe have his stadium for good!

With that being said though, I'm really a firm believer that the new stadium should NOT be called "yankee stadium" -- I think that'll just ruine the memories of the old stadium. Shea isn't being renamed shea... new stadiu, new era... let the babe have his stadium for good!

Yankee Stadium should keep its name. Why name our ball park after a corprate sponser. Keep it Yankee Stadium the way it should be. It is only one of 4 Stadiums that still has its orginal name.

Proud Yankee fan since 1974

It must be nice being Willie Randolph. He gets to slide into second base during his introduction at the final game at the Stadium. All the while, he's getting paid by the New York Mets. And people wonder why there were/are Met fans who never liked him from day one.

Hey, not for nothing, but Willie was a big part of the yankees history. A great 2nd baseman, and a great 3rd base coach. It's not his fault the mets fired him!

Was it just me or did it seem like someone was missing?.... I felt that even though hes no longer a part of the organization Joe Torre should have been there. I was glad however that Posada got to catch the first pitch. He's been my favorite player for as long as I have ever paid attention to baseball and I felt ad for hime that he didn't get to play in the final agme. It also would have been cool to sneak in 1 last Giants game there, that would have been a site.

Was it just me or did it seem like someone was missing?.... I felt that even though hes no longer a part of the organization Joe Torre should have been there. I was glad however that Posada got to catch the first pitch. He's been my favorite player for as long as I have ever paid attention to baseball and I felt ad for hime that he didn't get to play in the final agme. It also would have been cool to sneak in 1 last Giants game there, that would have been a site.

Torre's job is with the Dogers as is Don Mattingly who was missing. Notice Clemments wasn't there.

Yeah, I too wish Torre and Donny Baseball could have been there. But I guess if the Steinbrenners weren't such [insert choice word here] then they'd probably both still be on the team.

Yeah, I too wish Torre and Donny Baseball could have been there. But I guess if the Steinbrenners weren't such [insert choice word here] then they'd probably both still be on the team.

F Clemens. Where was Pags? How about Ricky?

If you were to ask a person anything about Joe Torre I would bet you $100 they would say something about the Yankees before they mentioned anything about the Dodgers. He's the most famous coach in baseball if not all of sports because of the Yankees.

If they were to bring back every Yankee that ever played then the festivities would have lasted on forever. Though Donny Baseball and Gentleman Joe T should have been there. I highly doubt since they are both working for the Dogers and who were also played yesterday, that they would have made it in time since they were playing against the Giants and even allowed to go by the Dodgers organization. Same thing with Lou P. being with the Cubs, he wouldn't have been able to go. People forget that they also have a job to do and can't be everywhere were we expect them to be.

What was nice was to see Thurman's son, Bobby's family, Mick's son and so forth representing those great men who played there. Seeing Bernie there for the first time since he left the game was a great thing, the loudest ovation that night.

You can argue and moan about the old stadium had nothing wrong with it but you know what, 85 years in a building built in 1922/23, rebuilt in 1976 had to go. Remeber the falling peice of steel from the new section a few years back only about 30 minutes after the building emptied after the game? Let alone the upkeep needed to keep the stadium in decent shape? Look at the problems faceing Fenway (which is a great place to see a baseball game in its own right), do you think its right to keep spending money on an outdated building? In the long run, the new building will be more cost effective to operate. Buildings come down all the time when they have outlive thier usefulness, memories of them will live on.

If you are a true Yankees fan, such as I am since my grandfather took me to my first ball game there in 1978, you'll look past the $10 beers, $4 hotdogs and all the other junk. True Yankees fans always will find away to see game and deal with the associated cost. If you can't look past it, time for you to switch your allegences cause your not a true fan of the team or of baseball.

Oh BTW, the name of the stadium will always be YANKEE STADIUM and never be renamed. Why???? Because us fans would never allow such a thing!!!!!

Sorry for my rant but I'm pationate about my favorite team and the game of baseball.

......................Now onto hockey season.... (lol)

Oh BTW, the name of the stadium will always be YANKEE STADIUM and never be renamed. Why???? Because us fans would never allow such a thing!!!!!

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!

Sorry to break everybody's heart, but Yankee Stadium, the house that Ruth built, was destroyed in 1974-75 and replaced by a corporate cookie cutter stadium slapped onto the remnants of a once grand edifice with a few touches of Disneyland thrown in to boot.

You can celebrate Thurman and Reggie, Bernie and Derek but the field where the Mick, the Clipper, the Babe and the Iron Horse played was bulldozed away a long time ago.

I can't wait to see them play in the new stadium, and I relish every moment I spent in the house that Lindsay built, but my fondest memories are of my earliest games in the real House that Ruth Built. My very first game, a doubleheader against the Tigers on a beautiful July day sitting in the upper deck and my father holding me up to see over the grown-ups in front when they stood, and also getting whooped by my brother and cousins because I was too tired and too young to stay for more than the first inning of the second game ( Got it again the next summer for forcing the whole bunch to see a re-release of Lassie Come Home at the movies instead of Dirty Harry). Or my first bat day, walking in out of a rainstorm in to the stadium and receiving a full size bat and finding out it was mine to keep...... no you can't replace those memories. But let's hope that the new stadium gives them as much luck as the old, and charms many more little guys into a lifetime love of the greatest team in the world.

I was born and raised a Yankee fan...so many fond memories of being at Yankee Stadium as a kid plus all the other memories of my father and the family talking about the past Yankee generations. I remember waiting on lines just to get an autograph, not to mention always trying to buy Donny Baseball memoribilia. This past year i have had the opportunity to work at Yankee Stadium for a few games and the intensity of it has been so memorable. I had the privilege of working at the game on Sat. and though not inside, just being there on the street was a great feeling, as an era comes to an end. I have also had the privilege of being inside the new stadium and seeing the next generation being built. I have learned that there is a new beginning to every ending. I'm just happy that there is a new stadium to look forward to, unlike back way before my time in '57 when the Brooklyn Dodgers dynasty came to an end with the tearing down of Ebbets Field by owner Walter O'Malley, ending Brooklyn baseball memories. Just look at the players of the Dodgers like Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Gil Hodges, and Roy Campanella. Ironically for Yankee fans, Don Larson pitched the only World Series perfect game on 10/8/56 against the Brooklyn Dodgers (the "old" subway series).

Torre's job is with the Dogers as is Don Mattingly who was missing. Notice Clemments wasn't there.

Who??? Do you mean Roger "I got a Lawyer" Clemens????

Who??? Do you mean Roger "I got a Lawyer" Clemens????

Yeah Roger. Did you see the news quote the next day from a family spokesperson? He was very displeased with the Yankee organization because he wasn't invited and no reference was made to him.

Yeah Roger. Did you see the news quote the next day from a family spokesperson? He was very displeased with the Yankee organization because he wasn't invited and no reference was made to him.

Hmmmmmm, Sounds like the Yanks did a Boston snub on him!!!! LOL

I would have been ticked off if he was in attendance. He was a good player (on or off the juice), not a great Yankee.

Hmmmmmm, Sounds like the Yanks did a Boston snub on him!!!! LOL

I would have been ticked off if he was in attendance. He was a good player (on or off the juice), not a great Yankee.

Agreed. Other than throwing at people now and again....he is more of a Red Sox hero!