Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LT. 22

Bedford Fire 10-8-08

39 posts in this topic

Sounds like a pretty big fire... Did anyone get any photos?

Listening to this fire on the trunk system, it seemed that the tanker system was well organized. Good job. guys.

Called back a little while ago for Rekindle

Bedford has been called to that house four times in the past 24hrs including the initial call and the three additional rekindle calls.

I am really curious to hear all of the details about this one when I get home.

This fire is a constant reminder on how important mutual aide agreements are...From the pictures it looks like it was a challenging access to the scene and all departments involved did a great job..

Listening to this fire on the trunk system, it seemed that the tanker system was well organized. Good job. guys.

yes u was also listing to it on my trunk scanner, it sounded a little chaotic at point but is was a tough situation to handle. Good Job!! :rolleyes:

Does anyone have the complete unit run down for both of the working fires?

Units (partial from rekindle included)

Armonk: Tanker 9

Banksville: 2581, 2582, Engine 157 (source), Tanker 7

Bedford: 2041, 2042, 2043, 2044, 2045 Engine 108 (source), Engine 109, Engine 110, Rescue 44, Ambulance 52-B1

Bedford Hills: 2032 (WSO), 2033, Tanker 5, Tower Ladder 57

Bedford Police: Multiple

Brewster: Tanker 11-4-2

Chappaqua: 2061, Engine 146 (relocated Bedford Village FD)

Croton Falls: Tanker 8

Croton-on-Hudson: 2083, Engine 119 (relocated to Mount Kisco)

Goldens Bridge: Tanker 1, Manpower requested to standby

Katonah: 2211, 2212 (WSO), Tanker 6, Mini Attack 15

KBHVAC: Ambulance 65-B2

Mahopac: 18-1-2, 18-1-3, Engine 18-2-1 (relocated to Somers FD)

Millwood: Tanker 15

Mohegan: Engine 258 relocated to Yorktown

Mount Kisco: 2281, Engine 104, Engine 106, Tower Ladder 14, Utility 13

North White Plains: Requested to relocate to Banksville, then cancelled?

Pocantico Hills: Tanker 12 (relocated to BHFD)

Pound Ridge: 2409, Tanker 3, Engine 113

Pleasantville: Tanker 57

Ridgefield: Tanker on standby in quarters

Somers: Tanker 16, Engine 180 (relocated to Katonah FD), Utility 88

South Salem: 2451, Tanker 2

Valhalla: Engine 84 (relocated to Banksville FD)

WCDES: Battalion 13, County Car 24, Car 2001

WEMS: 45-Medics, 45-14

Yorktown: Tanker 14, Engine 27? (relocated to Bedford Hills FD)

Edited by BedfordFire

Please add if you were there/saw something there that was not on my list!

Specific questions: Which Mahopac engine relocated to Somers? Which Somers Utility was used? Did Yorktown send an engine and tanker? And did North White Plains get cancelled? Also, was Millwood called?

All of this is appreciated; I will be posting an article on www.bedfordfire.com later. Thanks!

Specific questions: Which Mahopac engine relocated to Somers? Which Somers Utility was used? Did Yorktown send an engine and tanker? And did North White Plains get cancelled? Also, was Millwood called?

All of this is appreciated; I will be posting an article on www.bedfordfire.com later. Thanks!

Pound Ridge: Engine 113, Tanker 3, 2409

Well on my way out of school the Millwood Tanker Was At The Pond Taking water out. Armonks engine was also heading toward the Foxlane Campus.

From what i could see, Yorktown sent an enigine to BHFD

Mahopac 18-2-1 (1977 Oren 1000 Gal. 1500GPM) 2 Chiefs (18-1-2 & 18-1-3) relocated to Somers (139 Primrose St). I was working Putnam 911 and listening to the fire on a scanner and www.Scan60.com feed 4. IMHO, it was a fantastic example of how a mutual aid fire should be run. No area was stripped. The "one over" principle was applied so all Tankers were not stripped form the northern Westchester area.

Cudo's to the Dispatchers at 60-Control. I don't know how far your CAD goes on multiple alarms but if they exceeded it they did a great job of dispatching "on the fly".

being that I had to stay behind " In case our tanker was call to another job ", I would like to know more about the tanker Ops... how many fill sites were there ? how many ponds were used ? how many supply lines down the driveway ? how many pond drafting engines ? total of actual working tankers ? ( not standby units )...

you know the typical tanker questions us tanker geeks ask ... any pics of the tanker ops ?

Two fill sites were established. First by Bedford Hills Car 2032 at Fox Lane High School, source engine to my knowledge was Banksville Engine 157. A secondary source was established with Katonah Car 2212 on The Narrows Road with Engine 108, pumping in-line to Mount Kisco Engine 104 and Armonk Tanker 9.

The dump site was two portable ponds half way inside the driveway, where Bedford Engine 110 was drafting from them. All tankers that made it to the scene were utilized (so, all tankers in our county minus Pocantico Hills, Vista, Croton, and Continental Village). At least 30 tanker loads were filled during the operations.

To give you an idea of the 5 inch supply laid, all of the supply line on 110 and 108 was used. That's over a mile of lay.

Edited by BedfordFire

All tankers that made it to the scene were utilized (so, all tankers in our county minus Pocantico Hills, Vista, Croton, and Continental Village).

Thats what I was talking about earlier. They left 1 Tanker in the North (Tanker 11-CV), South (Tanker 12-PH but I thought I heard them relocated), East (Tanker 10-Crtn), and West (Tanker 4-Vista). They didn't strp the whole county in case of another alarm.

Dear god, I feel terrible for whoever poor souls had to repack all of the 5 inch off of 108 and 110 and even all of the hose on scene.

Pictures that I took on our way up to the scene and during it.

post-3167-1223610560.jpg

post-3167-1223610593.jpg

post-3167-1223610731.jpg

post-3167-1223610743.jpg

post-3167-1223610778.jpg

post-3167-1223610797.jpg

post-3167-1223610807.jpg

post-3167-1223610861.jpg

Since water supply is such a critical issue in the northern part of Westchester and most of Putnam, why not pre-designate tanker strike-teams of 5-6 tankers with a couple of officers so when a job like this comes in it's a much more efficient call out (not to mention NIMS compliant)? They can be staggered geographically so as not to deplete any part of the County when activated and also train and drill together to perform as smoothly as possible when the time comes. If you need more than a tanker or two, activate a strike team. If you need more than a strike team, activate another strike team.

I recall an incident in CT recently (Norwalk? New Haven?) where they lost municipal water and activated their County's tanker strike team.

Whaddya all think?

Since I just saw the helicopter in Chris' avatar, it just popped into my head, could the Bambi-Bucket on Air 3 have been used in this operation? Or is this too hazardous of a situation for the flight crew and those on the ground to use a helo?

Since water supply is such a critical issue in the northern part of Westchester and most of Putnam, why not pre-designate tanker strike-teams of 5-6 tankers with a couple of officers so when a job like this comes in it's a much more efficient call out (not to mention NIMS compliant)? They can be staggered geographically so as not to deplete any part of the County when activated and also train and drill together to perform as smoothly as possible when the time comes. If you need more than a tanker or two, activate a strike team. If you need more than a strike team, activate another strike team.

I recall an incident in CT recently (Norwalk? New Haven?) where they lost municipal water and activated their County's tanker strike team.

Whaddya all think?

It was waterbury, they had a water main break and southern litchfield county's tanker strike team cover a hospital down there and they had a n engien pump water in to the hospital.

Chris's idea of a Tanker Task Force is an excellent idea. It should be explored in both Northern Westchester and in Putnam County who also has a lack of municipal water supply.

Burlington County NJ Chiefs Association website has an excellent SOP on Tanker task forces. http://www.bcfirechiefs.org/Guidelines/tender_guideline.htm

A tanker taskforce is wayyyyy to progressive for Westchester.

You'd never be able to part all the egos on how to set it up.

Silly Firefighter progressive ideas are for kids!

Those are some Great shots, Matt!!!!!

Matt's Photos and others, now posted on our website, www.bedfordfire.com

Tanker task force believe it or not guys & gals some of us deputy coordinators are working on develping that idea now. Don't remember who posted that link about burlington thank you I will use that while I work on the task force ideas. SO it is not too progressive for westchester county, it is just going to take some work and most of all cooperation of CHiefs.

Called back a little while ago for Rekindle

Rekindle is not a term that should be utilized. Let's consider this:

If fire is discovered after the FD has left it is due to one of the follwing:

1) The arsonest came back to finish the job (and this is a new fire not a rekindle)

2) The FD did not put the fire out in the 1st place, because they could not get to the seat of the fire (due to collapse or some other issue) and felt it was safe to leave or just leave a fire watch. If this were the case it would not be a rekindle since it was never out.

3) The term rekindle implies that the FD screwed up and left without doing proper overhaul and did not know that it was still burning.