Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stephen morea

Looking for info on Banksville Fire Dept.

32 posts in this topic

Is the banksville fire department on there own or are they run firematicly/finacially by the greenwich FD? It has always been a mystery to me, thanks in advance, steve.

I am not a member of Banksville FD but will do my best for you.

Banksville FD is located in Westchester County

they cover parts of the Town of North Castle.

They are on Bedford-Banksville Road in Bedford, NY

close to the border of Greenwich, CT and they have a lot of

dual responses and M/A with Greenwich FD.

I am guessing in some areas it make take several minutes

for Greenwich FD to arrive coming from a distance so the

Banksville FD is also dispatched to alarms close to the border.

Banksville Independent Fire Department is all volunteer.

As per the information I have:

Engines

157, 158, 159

Tanker

Mini-Attack

Rescue

Chiefs

2581, 2582, 2583

To further touch on what Rob said, Banksville covers what is known as Town of North Castle First District #3 (Westchester). They are also known as Greenwich Fire Department Station 7 hence the automatic responses.

Additional apparatus for them is Ladder 77 (as long as they still have it), a former Greenwich FD (Glenville Vol. Fire Co., Inc.) Station 4 ladder truck.

Last I heard, they still had the Maxim ladder but it did not have any equipment on it nor had passed inspection of the ladder or was in service when I last enquired.

I know for Greenwich they are contracted to cover the northern section of the town that borders their district since they are closer than the GFD stations. I believe(as I was told) Banksville is also sometimes requested by Stamford for mutual aid if there is something in the northern Long Ridge areas also.

nice fleet, looks like though then can replace there ladder, are they going to?

so is banksville its own seperate fire district or are they apart of the greenwich fire department? the reason I ask is because if they are numbered station 7 is that for radio call signal only or are they an actual part of the greenwich fire department?

Banksville is an independent fire department - the district they serve is North Castle District #3

I think what we are getting at is that the Banksville Fire Department is its own entity, from there, they contract for protection, with the North Castle Fire District #3. This happens in the Milan Fire District up here in Dutchess, the District has a board of fire commissioners, and from there, they sign a contract with the Milan Fire Company, who provides the fire protection to the district. I believe this also happens in Mohegan? Correct me if I am wrong.

As such, being an independent FD, they can also contract with Greenwich for the area they protect. I am not sure if this is exactly how it is done, if anyone knows the particulars, please share.

mbendel36 ya hit the nail on the head they are their own seperate entity that is what i was looking for.

I believe engine 157 is first due to NY calls , and eng 158 is first due to CT calls. Not sure what they are going to do with the ladder, however i have seen it out on plenty of calls and drills. Now Greenwich station 8, staffed with 3ff's and 1 LT is just down the road from Banksville. They always seem to get a rig out the door no matter what time it is.

Banksville recieves funding from both Greenwich and New Castle. A large part of the hamlet of Banksville is actually in CT(the main shopping center), and they are actually in the town of Greenwich charter as Station 7;they are also recognized by the state of CT as an "in state" fire company, instead of a mutual aid company, such as Armonk or Vista would be. They have their own automatic, first due assignment areas in the town of Greenwich. From what I understand, back in 1949 when they were organized, they did recieve help from Greenwich, in return for helping cover the extreme northern areas. Not only does GW give them yearly funding(they are part of the town budget every year, the same as a GW company would be), they are(were?) included in the town's regular apparatus replacement plans. It used to be, if they needed something, they would come to GW, the same way they would New Castle, to ask for funding.

At least this is the way it was when I was still in GW.

Edited by fsw1970

It is a smart idea (on Greenwich's part) for them to be part of the department. Even though their station 8 is a straight run 5 or so miles away, Banksville can get to the Stanwich, Taconic sections alot quicker. I would think that this would be an influence on the town's ISO ratings as it's no secret that Greenwich's real estate is top $$$$.

Edited by TRUCK6018

It is a smart idea (on Greenwich's part) for them to be part of the department. Even though their station 8 is a straight run 5 or so miles away, Banksville can get to the Stanwich, Taconic sections alot quicker. I would think that this would be an influence on the town's ISO ratings as it's no secret that Greenwich's real estate is top $$$$.

You have to remember also, that sta 8 was only built a few years ago. For decades, all there was in the "back country" was Round Hill, and Banksville.

Since a Station 9? is being or going to be built on King street will Greenwich do without Banksville? Just a question .

I know for Greenwich they are contracted to cover the northern section of the town that borders their district since they are closer than the GFD stations. I believe(as I was told) Banksville is also sometimes requested by Stamford for mutual aid if there is something in the northern Long Ridge areas also.

Not anymore... see "Update on Stamford Merger" thread for info on Long Ridge and Mutual Aid.

The King Street fire station will be on the northwest NY/CT border, Banksville is near the Northeast border near Stamford (Long Ridge Fire District). As of a few years ago most of their calls were in Greenwich, with the rest in Westchester County and a handful in Stamford, CT. It is easier having them set-up with radios and apparatus designations for both CT and NY. Their guys go back and forth virtually seamlessly between the two systems. They are dispatched by 60 control. If Greenwich needs them, they activate their Greenwich tones over the Greenwich frequency and they also call 60 control for dispatch over 46.26. All of their members have NY pagers, some have both. Their funding is different from most volunteer companies in that they have their own budget line item (I believe Round Hill does also). Greenwich handles their ladder testing (they do it in my station, Cos Cob). I think that answers most of the questions.

so then who owns all of banksvilles rigs, firehouse, equipment,etc, banksville fire district or greenwich fire district?

You have to remember also, that sta 8 was only built a few years ago. For decades, all there was in the "back country" was Round Hill, and Banksville.

You're right although it's been a few more than a few years ago. It's gotta be pushing 10 years at this point. But who's counting?

To comment on the King St station, Cos Cob 215 is right on the area in relation to Banksville. One has to realize the topography of Greenwich. To get north, south is easy. There are numerous roads that run in north, south with ease, North St, Riversville Rd, Round Hill Rd, and Lake Rd to name the main ones. To get East to West is a completely different story. With the exception of I95 and Putnam Ave (RT 1) to the South and the Merrit Pkwy, to get from west to east is difficult at best as most of the roads are narrow and windy.

Steve, to answer your last question, because of the unique situation they are with two different municipalities, they likely own their equipment, apparatus, etc. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

TRUCK6018, you're right, under such an arrangement, Banksville would own all of their own equipment. Bad analogy, but think of them as a Wackenhut or Rural/Metro, they are an independent company who is paid by the public entity, in this Case North Castle and Greenwich to provide fire protection. I doubt their organization is as anywhere near as corrupt as these two corporations, though.

Edited by mbendel36

Wackenhut or Rural/Metro........ I doubt their organization is as anywhere near as corrupt as these two corporations, though.

Sigh.....

TRUCK6018, you're right, under such an arrangement, Banksville would own all of their own equipment. Bad analogy, but think of them as a Wackenhut or Rural/Metro, they are an independent company who is paid by the public entity, in this Case North Castle and Greenwich to provide fire protection. I doubt their organization is as anywhere near as corrupt as these two corporations, though.

Bad analogy isn't even the word for that. I don't know about Wackenhut but Rural Metro is a shareholder owned corperation with greedy officers and directors. Remember the Rye Brook debacle of the late '90s? All it took was one million dollar plus mansion to go up in flames to end that fiasco. You can't put Banksville in the same boat as them.

so in other words banksville fire is kind of like plattekill fire. plattekill runs half district in ulster and half in the town of newburgh, but they are still their own entity. they get funding from both counties and who ever lives in their fire taxing district their tax dollars go to the plattekill fire district. and I guess that is similar to the way banksville is set up except with 2 states instead of 2 counties.

Exactly right.

(for the record, I was IN NO WAY trying to compare Banksville to R/M or Wackenhut,) I was trying to draw the analogy that there is a political body responsible for providing fire protection to an area, and they, in turn contracted with Banksville FD (A separate entity) to provide coverage to said given area. NO controversy intended!

Exactly right.

(for the record, I was IN NO WAY trying to compare Banksville to R/M or Wackenhut,) I was trying to draw the analogy that there is a political body responsible for providing fire protection to an area, and they, in turn contracted with Banksville FD (A separate entity) to provide coverage to said given area. NO controversy intended!

I know you weren't trying to stir up controversy. :P

Realistically, there isn't a fire district, fire protection district or otherwise that doesn't contract out to an extent (with the exception of major cities IE City of Poughkeepsie, White Plains, Yonkers, City of Newburgh. City of Peekskill is an exception).

Whether it be the Arlington Fire District in Dutchess Co. "contracting" the 4 volunteer companies or Town of Carmel in Putnam "contracting" the Mahopac and Mahopac Falls VFD's or Somers Fire District in Westchester "contracting" the Somers Vol Fire Department, ALL are governing bodies utilizing a 3rd party agency for operational purposes whether it be manpower only in Arlington (minus career staff) and Somers case or apparatus and manpower in Mahopac and Mahopac Falls case.

Further, there is no shortage of departments / districts that provide service to multiple towns. Lake Mohegan provides services to the Town of Cortlandt and Town of Yorktown. Continental Village FD Provides services to Town of Philipstown and Town of Cortlandt. Croton Falls provides coverage to the Town of North Salem and a sliver of the Town of Carmel.

Since Banksville is an ISO 9 it only makes a minor difference and only in the areas that are beyond 5 road miles from a fire station, those areas are rated a 10 (no fire protection).

Realistically, there isn't a fire district, fire protection district or otherwise that doesn't contract out to an extent (with the exception of major cities IE City of Poughkeepsie, White Plains, Yonkers, City of Newburgh. City of Peekskill is an exception).

The 3 type of fire depts in NYS are fire district, fire protection district and municipal. Most municipal and many districts do not contract out. All of those listed above are municipal depts and dont contract. The majority of the people in NYS are protected by municipal depts that dont contract out.

In Westchester, add to your list: Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Ossining, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Scarsdale, Rye, Port Chester and many more.

Whether it be the Arlington Fire District in Dutchess Co. "contracting" the 4 volunteer companies or Town of Carmel in Putnam "contracting" the Mahopac and Mahopac Falls VFD's or Somers Fire District in Westchester "contracting" the Somers Vol Fire Department, ALL are governing bodies utilizing a 3rd party agency for operational purposes whether it be manpower only in Arlington (minus career staff) and Somers case or apparatus and manpower in Mahopac and Mahopac Falls case.

Those utilize governing bodies with a 3rd party but many many others are Fire Districts that directly oversee their FD (not a 3rd party): Greenville, Fairview, Hartsdale, Eastchester, and ohers.

Further, there is no shortage of departments / districts that provide service to multiple towns.

Technically, fire dept in NYS do not provide protection to any towns. Town law does not recognize FD's. The purpose of fire districts is to provide fire protection to their district, which in all cases cover all or part of one or more town(s)

The 3 type of fire depts in NYS are fire district, fire protection district and municipal. Most municipal and many districts do not contract out. All of those listed above are municipal depts and dont contract. The majority of the people in NYS are protected by municipal depts that dont contract out.

In Westchester, add to your list: Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Ossining, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Scarsdale, Rye, Port Chester and many more.

Capt, just to clarify, the Village of Ossining contracts with the Town of Ossining for the Town's fire protection district (the Village of Briarcliff Manor also provides fire protection for another district in the Town of Ossining).

The purpose of fire districts is to provide fire protection to their district, which in all cases cover all or part of one or more town(s)

I know contract was not an accurate word but the point I was trying to make is that many districts utilize a third party for that protection. With the exception of staff on the district's payroll such as Arlington or Lake Mohegan, the majority of the man power comes from that third party such as the Lake Mohegan Fire Assoc. or Crofts Corners Fire Company (in Arlington). Even all volunteer departments do so such as with in the East Fishkill Fire District who utilizes manpower from the third party fire companies.

The board of fire commissioners of these districts could lock out the fire companies out of the firehouse and use other sources if so desired. This happened once or twice I can think of in the last 10 to 15 years. One was a fire company in Indiana where overnight the fire department was locked out of the firehouse by the district because the district decided not to use them anymore. A similar situation happened in New York State.