Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers FD USAR Task Force Truck 2008 Freightliner/Hackney

52 posts in this topic

TEASER PHOTO!

More photos to be posted later this weekend....check back on this thread!!

(HUGE and special thanks to the FF's assigned to the SO Battalion!!)

City Of Yonkers, NY

Special Operations Battalion

Regional USAR Task Force Truck

2008 Freightliner/Hackney

Photo by Seth G. (x635) http://www.x635Photos.com

Arsenal of equipment and trained manpower available to the region 24/7....as mentioned, will be posting more photos of this unit later this weekend.....

post-11-1224795666.jpg

Nice looking truck.

Can you post some information about the USAR Task Force? What typing is the Team? Is this part of a regional effort or run by the Yonkers FD?

Wow, that's a big unit. How's that staffed?

Wow, that's a big unit. How's that staffed?

Like MOST Yonkers companies...UNDERstaffed. ;)

Beautiful unit.......

x129...I thought Yonkers was one of the few FD's that had proper staffing in Westchester?

It is a very nice unit indeed. I would assume it would be staffed on an as-needed basis, no?

Do the FF's/Chauffers have to have a CDL or any special licensing to operate this rig, other than driver training?

Yonker's USAR is an incredible asset to our region.....we are lucky they worked hard to obtain not only this rig, but all the equipment that goes along with it. I look foward to posting some more detail shots and info over the next few days....

x129...I thought Yonkers was one of the few FD's that had proper staffing in Westchester?

To paraphrase Chief Flynn, they are better off than most, yet still undermanned.

Still a LOT more equipment to be added and installed.......

post-11-1224880329.jpg

I should mention that this truck was featured in article by Joe Pinto in Sep-Oct i2008 ssue of Fire Apparatus Journal along with some other new YFD aqquisitions.

Why is the tractor on the NJ state police usar tractor-trailer up so high ? Nice looking usar truck Yonkers good luck with it.

The NJ tractor is 4wd.

Just curious, it looks like this rig is equipped with a set of cutters & spreaders on one of the pullout trays.

Would this rig ever run in place of the heavy squad if it was out of service for repair (I realize that YFD kept the single axle predecessor to the new Rescue 1)... Just a hypothetical question.

It has the onboard extrication system. And, I doubt it would serve anyone well running it around the City of Hills as a reserve Rescue. It has its own job to do.

Would this rig ever run in place of the heavy squad if it was out of service for repair (I realize that YFD kept the single axle predecessor to the new Rescue 1)... Just a hypothetical question.

This tractor-trailer is too long to be used on our streets as a spare Rescue. We would use the old Rescue if available as a spare and if we don't have that we put the crew and most equipment on a spare Rearmount.

I know we're getting into the "what ifs" now by could this be run if there are 2 pin jobs going on at the same time on different sides of the city? Or would the Rescue handle one and the Sqaud handle one?

I know we're getting into the "what ifs" now by could this be run if there are 2 pin jobs going on at the same time on different sides of the city? Or would the Rescue handle one and the Sqaud handle one?

Nice truck!

I'm not too familiar with FD protocols but it seems to me as though this rig would only be used for large scale emergencies/disasters. Something on the scale of 9/11, a hurricane, earthquake or major collaspe. I doubt that this would respond to any of the "routine" emergencies that occur within the city on a daily basis.

There could probably be 5 pin jobs and a 3 alarm fire going at once and this thing wouldn't respond to any of them. I could be wrong though.

That being said, what are the qualifcations for an agency to be recognized as a regional Urban Search and Rescue Team? Can anyone from YFD advise? Are there some sort of standards involved? Do you guys go through FEMA?

There are Extrication tools on L70, TL71, L72, L73, L74, TL75, SQ11 and RESCUE 1 as well on YPD ESU Trucks 2, 3 and 4.

What ever happened to the Mack Tractor that was in yonkers that was supposed to be outfitted?

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage-40-8.html

It is still there and in service. It tows the training trailer (photos coming soon), the water tanker, and some of the other trailers.

There are Extrication tools on L70, TL71, L72, L73, L74, TL75, SQ11 and RESCUE 1 as well on YPD ESU Trucks 2, 3 and 4.

Don't forget Reserve L-76, 78 & Reserve TL-81 & Reserve Rescue-2

Here's a photo of one of the extrication tool compartments....there are more tools on order, and this cabinet is still being set up....

I hope to have the full gallery of the photos I took of this truck up on x635Photos.com sometime this week.

Thanks again to Chief Fitz and his staff not only for helping me to get these photos, but for their awesome hospitality!!

post-11-1225069767.jpg

FYI - Mack Tractor - The tandem axle Mack Granite Tractor was purchased primarily for the FireBlast Live Burn Trailer but can do double duty pulling the 5000 gallon water tender or the USAR Trailer if needed.

FYI USAR Tractor Trailer - We are not a FEMA team thus we don't need to coordinate with FEMA we are a Local/Regional Response Unit.

Equipment Highlights:

Stanley Hydraulic tool System

Partner Hydraulic tool system

185 CFM PTO BOSS air compressor

Hydraulic Rescue Tools - 220V Electric, Gasoline trimo power units as well as battery back pack pack

USAR Set of AIRSHORE rescue struts

35KW - Diesel Generator

4 - 200' cord reel w/ 20 amp 110v power boxes

2 - Utility 100' air reels

2 - Wilburt Night Scan telescoping light towers

2 - Awnings

Searchsystems - Cable probe, Seachcams, Entry Link, Delsar life detector

Lumber - 2x4, 4x4, plywood, 2x6, 2,10, 6x6

Torches - oxygasoline, acetylene

2 - Complete sets paratech USAR high pressure airbags

3 - Complete sets Vetter Low pressure airbags

Scene lights both sides

2 - tripod lights front of trailer

portable winch w/ recivers mounted both sides of trailer

Winch mounted front bumper of tractor

Numerous hand tools

Numerous Power & cordless tools

Gasoline Ring saws (Partner)

Rigging - Griphoists etc

Plus a lot more!

Wow, amazing looking rig. Looks like a well planned, built and equipped rig. I love the look of it from behind with the chevrons and rear lighting.

The lift airbag compartment.....

post-11-1226332708.jpg

Shoring Compartment (more carried on the Collapse Rescue Unit, but this truck is capable of being self-sufficient)

post-11-1226332860.jpg

Just some of the struts that are carried...

post-11-1226333656.jpg

Some saws and other cutting accessories.....

post-11-1226333181.jpg

Some of the pneumatic jackhammers and other equipment and accessories....

post-11-1226333327.jpg

Scopes, Probes, Cameras, Ultrasound, monitors, and other hi-tech USAR victim detection tools....(all these can link to the command center)

post-11-1226333537.jpg