Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers FD USAR Task Force Truck 2008 Freightliner/Hackney

52 posts in this topic

Probably the best set up rig I have seen in a long time. Good luck YFD!

Drivers side of apparatus.

Please note the storage compartments on top of rig (additional cribbing, etc), TWO light towers, etc. Also, has on board compressor, generator, and hydraulic pump, all with multiple outlets and reels.

More to be added on this apparatus, read billfitz's post above.

post-11-1226333859.jpg

Another angle of the USAR....

post-11-1226334048.jpg

Awesome photos Seth and thanks.

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the issue, but are they keeping the converted CF Collapse truck in service now that this monster has arrived?

CF Mack Conversion was junked last month = it was a 1988 Mack CF - we are awaiting delivery (end of this month) of a Hackney/Mack Tandem - Heavy Rescue/Collapse Unit. The USAR TT is not only a local resource bit a regional resource - The Collapse Rescue will be the first response unit out of Station 11 with the crew from Squad11. more to follow upon delivery on Collapse Rescue.

Holy crap... thats alot of tools. Looks like an extremely well outfitted rig. Best of luck to YFD USAR with it. Now will YPD ESU be part of this USAR team as well, or just YFD personnel?

CF Mack Conversion was junked last month = it was a 1988 Mack CF - we are awaiting delivery (end of this month) of a Hackney/Mack Tandem - Heavy Rescue/Collapse Unit. The USAR TT is not only a local resource bit a regional resource - The Collapse Rescue will be the first response unit out of Station 11 with the crew from Squad11. more to follow upon delivery on Collapse Rescue.

Thanks for the info!

USAR parked....

post-11-1226428820.jpg

Cab/Trailer interface...

post-11-1226428980.jpg

Generator compartment, with electrical controls and reel in the compartment to the left...

post-11-1226429036.jpg

In the first picture you posted today Seth, what unit is the white Ford truck? It looks like a YPD ESU pickup but I can not tell.

In the first picture you posted today Seth, what unit is the white Ford truck? It looks like a YPD ESU pickup but I can not tell.

It's a Hazmat Support Unit. Carries a whole bunch of high tech hazmat detection equipment and supplies.

I see, where are the photos of that unit you have? lol

Next photo set from Yonkers that I have will take you inside the new Mobile Command Center.......stay tuned!

I know this post has been on for a month or two now but i wanted to ask if this truck is overweight and does YFD make their members who drive this have a CDL to drive it???

I know this post has been on for a month or two now but i wanted to ask if this truck is overweight and does YFD make their members who drive this have a CDL to drive it???

I'm sure, as with fire apparatus in general, you don't need a CDL. However, I assume whoever drives that thing has some experiance, 'cause it's huge.

Edited by M' Ave

I would rethink the first part of your question. Both YFD and the manufacturer aren't going to spec/build/operate a rig that is overweight.

This rig has five axle's providing braking, two of which will be further assisted by an engine (Jake) brake. Similar apparatus on a commercial basis would be permitted to operate with an 85,000 GVWR. On certain roadways in the US and through out Canada similar vehicles are permitted to operate with 105,000-115,000lbs.

If i had to guess I'd say this rig weighs between 65-75,000 lbs

No CDL required in NYS to operate emergency apparatus.

Edited by mfc2257

Now will YPD ESU be part of this USAR team as well, or just YFD personnel?

Bite your tongue! :angry:

FYI - YFD weighs all apparatus empty & after equipment is loaded - we use the scale at the transfer station on the Thruway - we are very aware of GVW's and the appropriate safety margins.

Someone asked me to post the Los Angeles County USAR unit for comparison....so here are two of my shots. It's actually a very different rig. (LACoFD's was designed to be a staffed, 24/7 Rescue Company, whereas Yonkers it is a Special Operations Unit)

post-11-1230421438.jpg

post-11-1230421448.jpg

Outstanding unit, Yonkers! Saw your old apparatus in action at the '06 Challenge in Utica, NY. Looks like you've done your homework on this one! Best of luck with it- Stay Safe! RRTRT