Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Peekskill - 2 killed in house fire; blaze under probe

13 posts in this topic

2 killed in house fire; blaze under probe

By Susan Elan • The Journal News • October 26, 2008

PEEKSKILL - Two people were killed in a house fire last night on Lindbergh Avenue.

Firefighters from Peekskill and neighboring departments responded to the blaze at No. 737 around 10:30 p.m.

Peekskill Police Chief Eugene Tumolo said that after firefighters extinguished the flames,

they found the bodies of a male and female.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2008810260403

so sad to see...was there last night in the rain, being only a few blocks from my house i made the walk in the to see what was going on, wasn't until i talked with one of the firefighters from peekskill who said they had found 2 people inside. what a sad sad day.

Very tragic, indeed.

I always wonder, in cases like these...

if working smoke detectors would have made for a different outcome....

With the new evidence, it would not have mattered

Job now, reportedly, a double homicide- Parents killed by the son, who then set house on fire. More later...

UPDATE:

Suspect in custody in Peekskill fatal fire

By Christine Pizzuti and Aman Ali • The Journal News • October 26, 2008

The son of a woman who was found dead along with her husband in a Lindbergh Avenue home last night is in custody on a second-degree murder charge, Peekskill Police Chief Eugene Tumolo announced this afternoon.

Jason Bethea, of 237 Union Ave., Peekskill, is scheduled for arraignment later today.

Tumolo said more arrests and charges are expected.

He identified the victims as Thomas and Kathy Asero, both 51.

Bethea is Kathy Asero's son from a previous marriage, the chief said.

http://lohud.com/article/20081026/NEWS/810...03/-1/newsfront

No dp in ny, but your tax dollars.

There most certainly is, it was reinstated when Gov. Pataki was in office, that was his biggest platform. but since it has been reinstated it has never been used.

There most certainly is, it was reinstated when Gov. Pataki was in office, that was his biggest platform. but since it has been reinstated it has never been used.

Nope NO Death Penalty in NY. :angry: :unsure: I should know I am a state Corrections Officer.

here is a link

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/state/

Dutchess County would have seeked the death penalty in the multiple homicide fire in Fishkill that I have had the joy of babysitting the murderers on a few occations :angry:

Nope NO Death Penalty in NY. :angry: :unsure: I should know I am a state Corrections Officer.

here is a link

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/state/

Dutchess County would have seeked the death penalty in the multiple homicide fire in Fishkill that I have had the joy of babysitting the murderers on a few occations :angry:

There is a death penalty on the books but the language in the jury instructions was deemed to be unconstitutional so it has to be re-written before it can be "executed" (pun intended).

Hopefully there will be some movement on this and we'll all be able to start saving money on housing, feeding, and educating prisoners who will never see the light of day anyway.

He has not yet been formally charged with arson, but sources say he deliberately set the fire to cover the murders. If the investigation concludes he was responsible for the fire, he would likely be hit with first or second degree felony charges for the fire, in addition to any other charges.

In NYS you were sentenced to death if the jury believes you are likely to commit the crimes you were convicted of. Since you cannot be punished for crimes you have yet to commit the death penalty in NYS is unconstitutional.