Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Should A Stress Test Be Part Of A Firefighter's Yearly Physicals?

19 posts in this topic

With all the cardiac-related firefighter deaths, should we be including a stress test (walking, running on treadmill attached to heart monitor)? Also, should a full set of bloodwork be done, and, preventive screening for cancers?

I know a lot of departments that do physicals just because they are required, and use some shady firms. But I personally feel we should take this oppurtunity to make sure we're 100% healthy. However, I don't see many departments, especially career, picking this up due to financial reasons.

I believe it should be. At my place of employment (Montrose VA Fire Dept) every firefighter goes through a stress test along with lab work, hearing test, fit test, pulmonary function test, and so on. This makes me feel better to know that their spedning the time and $$ to make sure were in good health.

Just to play devil's advocate, because I do agree with you both. What happens if the FF fails? Does he lose his job? In FDNY he can go work the desk somewhere but most departments in Westchester do not have that luxury. And the long term disability insurance for FF's is through the roof, which by the way no FDs provide for their employees that I am aware of.

Just to play devil's advocate, because I do agree with you both. What happens if the FF fails? Does he lose his job? In FDNY he can go work the desk somewhere but most departments in Westchester do not have that luxury. And the long term disability insurance for FF's is through the roof, which by the way no FDs provide for their employees that I am aware of.

You raise a great point. However, that's a big ethical dilemma. To we want to ensure the firefighter is healthy, or god forbid, have something happen that could have been prevented? If it happens while on the job, then all the LODD associated costs. There have been cases where departments have thrown out firefighters for not being healthy.

But, if a firefighter isn't healthy enough to do his duties at no fault of the department, then why shouldn't it be more like the outside world? Why do we only have to take a fitness test once in our careers?

i doubt all depts can afford to send all ff 's for a stress test,thats not an inexpensive item to be adding onto a phsical

i doubt all depts can afford to send all ff 's for a stress test,thats not an inexpensive item to be adding onto a phsical

I have to agree with this its not cheap at all. But on the other hand it depends on the case if you get a good pysical you can catch alot of the problems early without the stress test. If somone needs the stress test due to history or somthing caught in the regular pysical then the department should pick it up. I know for the longest time my department has been doing fairly decent pysicals in the vollie spectrum and many people have had problems caught and then addresed now they are able to keep fighting fire and know somthing that might not have been caught otherwise.

That acutally sounds like a decent idea. But I'm not sure that ANNUALLY is very practical or neccessary to anticipate who might be at elevated risk.

It does sound like a good assessment tool that a department's doc should have available...

While I agree the tests are expensive I believe an once of prevention goes along way. And again, what is spent on parades, bands, etc...the money is there.

Stress tests and physical performance evaluation absolutely should be as important as having adequate turnouts. We are part of a team. Performance is not just a matter of personal health, but also has direct impact on the safety of the people with which one works.

I'm not sure that a standard cardiac stress test is the best measure for firefighting. Simple and cheap would be to ask members to run a distance, climb stairs with gear and measure how fast the individuals vital signs come back to baseline, much like the standards now for rehab. A person who can run a reasonable distance, carry a reasonable load and then have a heart rate and blood pressure that return to baseline in a reasonable time are fit for interior firefighting. If he or she can't, then that person needs to be driving, pumping or directing traffic.

I think knowing that there will be annual evaluations might encourage people to keep in shape or get in shape. There is a culture of accepted obesity within the volunteer service that hurts the FD, the community, and the members.

What happens if the FD doesn't do the test and the FF goes on at full-duty with an undiagnosed life-threatening condition? Then he drops in sudden cardiac arrest. A disability pension is far better than a funeral and a family trying to figure out about death benefits and pensions.

I think police and fire personnel should all have more comprehensive physicals...

YES!! With Cardiacs being the #1 killer of FF's in this country. Way more should be done with both monitoring AND prevention.

ckroll nailed it. Stress tests are great, but they are expensive and only catch the problem after the fact. An annual agility would go much farther towards the goal of improving overall health of ff's. It doesn't have to be as strenuous as the hiring agility but something as simple as a timed run or step mill w/ weighted vest would be more effective in forcing members to stay in better physical shape.

ckroll nailed it. Stress tests are great, but they are expensive and only catch the problem after the fact. An annual agility would go much farther towards the goal of improving overall health of ff's. It doesn't have to be as strenuous as the hiring agility but something as simple as a timed run or step mill w/ weighted vest would be more effective in forcing members to stay in better physical shape.

CPAT maybe??

If its job related he should go out with a disability pension; if its not job related then the FD should have the right to terminate his employment.

If its job related he should go out with a disability pension; if its not job related then the FD should have the right to terminate his employment.

The problem is how do you prove it.

i.e. the problem is due to 30 years of fireground exposures or 40 years of smoking

Hypothetically speaking, if one of your members does fail a stress test or, something is found in their EKG or they have had a heart attack or other cardiac issue - then what? For example, if one of your guys had a heart attack and has been cleared by his/her MD to go back to work 100%, does he/she get to keep being a member of your FD? Any can they continue to be Interior?

I think stress tests are a great idea. I know they are expensive but in the day and age where almost every department has a chief's vehicle (if not more than one) & huge rigs with every extra known to mankind, the least we could do is ensure the health, safety, and well being of our members.

It would seem to me that your life would be more important to you and your loved ones then continuing to be able to fight fires. You could always find a job to earn money even though its not your chosen profession. I think it makes complete sense if fire departments, both paid and volunteer, want to require and pay for stress tests for their employees.

I want my partner to be at least the same if not in better physical shape than I am.

I'm sorry, I don't care if you are my best friend, if you are not physically or even mentally cut out for the job than it's not for you. Not every job is meant for everyone. My safety isn't going to be jepordized for your bad health. My opinion may be on the harsh side, but my safety and the safety of the others operating on scene is the most important.