Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

New Westchester Co. DES Website

11 posts in this topic

Went to check out if anything new was on the DES site and found it had been COMPLETELY redesigned. Check it out at Westchester County DES. For navigating around the site click on the links in the upper right corner of each page. It took me a while to find where things were but it looks like everything is still there.

Edited by SteveOFD

I kind of liked the old site better.

I noticed the Apparatus Plate Assignment links under Fire Services and 60 Control display two different expiration dated lists.

I wish they put up pictures of the HazMat, tech rescue and Grassland Fire Brigade apparatus. But other than that it is really cool. Where is the link to the apparatus plate assignments.

Look what I found on one of the links

http://www.westchestergov.com/emergserv/training.htm

Not exactly sure what you "found"....that's always been there.

I actually like the new layout a little better, guess its going to take some time to get used to it. I always dislike the fact that when you went to the main county website and clicked on emergency services, DES wasn't one of the first options to come up.

I find it just a redesign. A County as sophisticated as Westchester should have more information readily available on the site, including real time information, like other departments around the country are doing.

Some features that would be useful:

- "Dispatchers Working" list, that names/number of those who are working the current shift, as well as a list of all the communications staff and numbers.

-Live feed or working incident listing would be nice.

-Page listing all the Career Fire Academy classes that have gone through.

-A way to keep track of all your training through DES and be able to print it out online, email it to your cheif, etc.

-A memorial page to reconize all those that we have lost.

-An interactive battalion and Fire/EMS station map

-An apparatus in service/out of service status page

-An RSS feed of DES news and events

Also, I'm still sad that there's no link to this site :-( . But I understand why.

Seth I do my FD site but without seeming clueless what exactly is a rss feed???

thanks

I find it just a redesign. A County as sophisticated as Westchester should have more information readily available on the site, including real time information, like other departments around the country are doing.

Some features that would be useful:

- "Dispatchers Working" list, that names/number of those who are working the current shift, as well as a list of all the communications staff and numbers.

-Live feed or working incident listing would be nice.

-Page listing all the Career Fire Academy classes that have gone through.

-A way to keep track of all your training through DES and be able to print it out online, email it to your cheif, etc.

-A memorial page to reconize all those that we have lost.

-An interactive battalion and Fire/EMS station map

-An apparatus in service/out of service status page

-An RSS feed of DES news and events

Also, I'm still sad that there's no link to this site :-( . But I understand why.

Not some bad ideas. Can't say I dig all of them but definately would be some nice additions if it could happen.

As far as being able to keep track of your training...every Chief and training officer in a department can apply and be granted ot the state's new TIMS system which gives access to training records online. This has tremendously improved checking records for those who lose or say they have lost a certificate to confirm they have had the training and also for instructors to be able to check pre-requisites immediately.