Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers FD to "Loan" Ladder Truck To FDMV

15 posts in this topic

Apparantly, Chief Everett and the Mount Vernon Fire Department is taking some action as it relates to their current Ladder Truck needs. FDMV has reached out to the Yonkers Fire Department, who has agreed to loan FDMV one of their Spare Ladder Trucks, for the time being. I think that the brass and management of the Yonkers FD should be highly commended for coming to the aide of their neighboring city. Maybe the solution to this FDMV mess is to have the Mount Vernon Fire Department managed by the City of Yonkers Fire Department?

Does anyone have any insight to what YFD Spare Rig is going to be given to them on loan? (Spare Tower Ladder 80 or 81 or maybe Spare Ladder 78 or 79?)

(Not sure how to quote from the Journal News, but below is the piece of the article from today's JN)

"It took 30 firefighters from Mount Vernon, Eastchester and Fairview several hours to control the blaze, which completely destroyed the 2 1/2 story home.

Dozens of firefighters were still dousing the charred and smoldering wreckage at 9 a.m. Smoke billowed from the house as firefighters worked to extinguish flare ups. Everett said the fire does not appear to be suspicious.

“People should always be cautious about the proximity of electric heaters to combustibles, whether its the bed or drapes,” he said.

Everett noted that Eastchester and Fairview provided additional ladder extensions, the second time in recent days.

Mount Vernon is currently operating with one ladder truck because of inspection issues.

Yonkers will be loaning Mount Vernon a ladder truck, which is expected to arrive Monday, Everett said."

That is taking the mutual aid agreement to the extreme.

Good work Yonkers, helping out a neighbor.

We thank Yonkers for lending us the truck. You must also thank the FDMV union board and members for sticking together through this tough time and thank the union for starting to make some progress. Lets hope everyone can stick together and keep the pressure on.

Does anyone have any insight to what YFD Spare Rig is going to be given to them on loan? (Spare Tower Ladder 80 or 81 or maybe Spare Ladder 78 or 79?)

Last I heard it was going to be Ladder 79. With all the new Ladders placed in service, and spares reassigned, does anyone know which truck is currently assigned as Ladder 79??

Maybe the solution to this FDMV mess is to have the Mount Vernon Fire Department managed by the City of Yonkers Fire Department?

If you ask me one solution is easier than that. Maybe Mount Vernon just has the wrong deputy appointed as Chief. I know one Deputy in particular that would make a big difference.

Maybe the solution to this FDMV mess is to have the Mount Vernon Fire Department managed by the City of Yonkers Fire Department?

Do you really think MV's administration would even consider that?

Why would Yonkers consider it?

I'm glad to hear Yonkers helping FDMV out.

You can't possbily be serious with this, can you? Because we.......wow. This beats your posts on "regionalization" (which I actually support) by miles.

I actually kind of agree with you, its too bad NYC coudn't or wouldn't annex the whole city rather than Yonkers. Its clear the city administration is a complete disaster. The only thing that has kept it afloat the past few years has been the inflated real estate market in the tri state area. Lets hope its not a long term recession away from being another Gary In, or Camden NJ. Mark my words things are going to get much worse in the Vern, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Lets keep the brothers in FDMV, MVPD and Empress EMS in our thoughts and may they stay safe.

I actually kind of agree with you, its too bad NYC coudn't or wouldn't annex the whole city rather than Yonkers. Its clear the city administration is a complete disaster. The only thing that has kept it afloat the past few years has been the inflated real estate market in the tri state area. Lets hope its not a long term recession away from being another Gary In, or Camden NJ. Mark my words things are going to get much worse in the Vern, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Lets keep the brothers in FDMV, MVPD and Empress EMS in our thoughts and may they stay safe.

Why in earth would New York City want to inherit Mount Vernon's headaches???

Edited by gamewell45

I'm glad to hear Yonkers helping FDMV out.

You can't possbily be serious with this, can you? Because we.......wow. This beats your posts on "regionalization" (which I actually support) by miles.

Just a comment, knowing that this senerio could never happen because the current administration in Mount Vernon would never go for paying the Fire Administration from another city to run its Fire Department (although if you think about it, given how well run the front line support within the YFD is, with the proper amount of "serviceable" spare apparatus, to support their front line rigs, they probably could do a much better job that the current Fire Administration in Mount Vernon).

Maybe (and again just maybe) regionalization might be the possible solution (with the Current Administration within the YFD along with the Current Administraiton within the New Rochelle FD taking over and managing "Southern Westchester Fire District" with taxpayers from all Cities, Villages, and Towns that make up this "district" paying into it, leaving the managing of a Fire District to the people who have proven to be able to properly manage Front Line Fire Support, such as Yonkers and New Rochelle)?

But this is a whole different topic that has and will continue to raise debate (both Pro and Con) on this forum, so I will leave that alone.

New 12 Westchester officially confirm it today that YFD would loan a ladder truck to FDMV with a story on the night edition.