Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers FD New Collapse Rescue-2008 Mack Teradyne/Hackney

24 posts in this topic

One of my favorite new deliveries of the year, I'm really excited about this truck....this unit not only looks sharp, but is amazingly equipped. Again, kudos to Yonkers, they are developing USAR resources that not only Yonkers, but the entire region, needs. This unit, as with any Yonkers Special Operations unit, can, and will respond anywhere, anytime they are needed.......keep this resource in mind should you ever need it.....not only do you get the truck and equipment, but highly trained USAR-Firefighters.

BTW, the Mack CF/Yonkers Shops Conversion that was the former collapse unit has already been disposed of.

City Of Yonkers Fire Department

Collapse Unit

2008 Mack Teradyne/Hackney

Stationed with Squad 11 @ Staion 11

PHOTO BY AND © OF JOE PINTO

Thanks Joe! I really appreciate all your timely submission, especially this awesome unit. I've been waiting for your photo of this truck since before it was even built...You rock!

post-11-1228625407.jpg

PHOTO BY AND © OF JOE PINTO

The Mack Shop conversion that was disposed of served us well but it was 20 years old - this new truck was specifically designed around the mission it will perform - one of our first USAR resources out the door with Squad 11 in conjunction with the Rescue-1 and what ever other resources that are necessary to create an initial USAR response. On board sytems & equipment include:

25KW generator

-2 x 200' cord reels

185 CFM air compressor

-2 x 100' 3/8" utility air reels

-1 x 100' x 1" air reel

Wilburt light tower

On Spot Chains

Portable winch - capable of being used on all 4 sides of apparatus

Airshore USAR Kit

Stanley Hydraulic tool System

Lumber - trench panels, plywood, 6x6, 4x4, 2x4, 2x6, etc.

Full length awnings each side of body

slide & drop down equipment trays

Chop saw mounted on rollout tray

numerous electric & cordless tools

Hand tools

more!

Looks great. I'm not too familiar with USAR. What are the differences between the USAR rig and this one?

That's quite an impressive rescue. Certainly puts the ma(ck)shift conversion to shame. Although that was definately a unique truck for sure.

Best of luck to the City of Yonkers.

And I too must echo previous comments, Yonkers certainly has an impressive and growing assortment of SOC equipment. This is certainly nice to have for Westchester.

Very nice nice to see a department take a strong move forward. Chief also what happen to the foam unit at 13 I saw a pick up. Is the Stuphen gone.

Thanks

Sutphen is gone - pickup is temporary - we have a Ford F-650 rack body w/ a liftgate and boom crane - this will be replacing the Sutphen as a Foam Carrier - it should be placed in service by the end of the year it will more than double the foam capabilty of the former which was auctioned off back in October with the Mack CF conversion Collapse unit

Sutphen is gone - pickup is temporary - we have a Ford F-650 rack body w/ a liftgate and boom crane - this will be replacing the Sutphen as a Foam Carrier - it should be placed in service by the end of the year it will more than double the foam capabilty of the former which was auctioned off back in October with the Mack CF conversion Collapse unit

Thanks for the info Chief..

sweeeeeet rig looks very sharp nice set up. any pics of the compartments. can this rig respond anywhere in the county if needed?

Any pics of the compartments. Can this rig respond anywhere in the county if needed?

This truck will respond pretty much anywhere it is needed and requested, Rockland, Putnam, Fairfield, etc should consider this resource.....

I hope to shoot this rig, it's equipment, and compartments as soon as I can afford a trip back up to Westchester, lol!!

Two questions for the Chief:

Is this a staffed unit or a parking lot piece?

Someone posted that this is availible as on out of county mutual aid resource, is that correct, or are there layers of beurocracy to cut thru to get the unit released to respond out of Yonkers or out of Westchester?

Two questions for the Chief:

Is this a staffed unit or a parking lot piece?

Someone posted that this is availible as on out of county mutual aid resource, is that correct, or are there layers of beurocracy to cut thru to get the unit released to respond out of Yonkers or out of Westchester?

I'm not the Chief, but I've been informed about this resource so I hope I can answer your questions....

Read above. This unit will be quartered and respond with Squad 11 staffing, using a Squad 11 Firefighter to drive the collapse rescue when needed. Also, other companies are capable of "picking up" the Collapse Rescue of Squad 11 is unavailable.

There's no bureaucracy at all.....the unit will respond when there are lives and properties at stake without delay, as it has in the past. Sure, it has to be approved by the shift commander on duty, but for specialized resources such as this they should have no problem sneding them, unless they have a situation in their city to deal with (even then, they can handle at least 2 collpase incidents at once) They will and have also trained with other departments in their USAR resources, such as neighboring Greenville Fire District. The only "bureaucracy" I see are some IC's that are prejudiced against Yonkers or don't wan't a paid company, with extensive manpower, training, and equipment, coming into their districts for whatever egotistical reason. This unit will save many lives over the course of its lifespan, and make sure your department puts Yonkers Collapse Rescue 1 into it's runnning cards...both career and volunteer!!

Photos of Yonkers training with Greenville FD, photos by x901:

http://www.emtbravo.lunarpages.com/SpecFea...aining0806.html

Sorry if I stepped on your toes, Chief.

Wow, I gotta hand it to Yonkers. In a struggling economy they're still managing to purchase state of the art equiptment and rigs, and keep their manpower up... Someone's doing a hell of a job!!

Very nice rig, I hope I never have to call for it though!

Looks Greeeeaaattt!

Can I put up the spy shots now???

When is it going in service?

Wow, I gotta hand it to Yonkers. In a struggling economy they're still managing to purchase state of the art equiptment and rigs, and keep their manpower up... Someone's doing a hell of a job!!

Very nice rig, I hope I never have to call for it though!

The money for this apparatus was bonded well before the economy tanked...as far as keeping the manpower up, we are undermanned in comparison to similar sized cities across the country and, barring a minor miracle, our manning levels will most likely be getting worse very soon...

it looks great and good luck whit it and new rochelle is getting a collapse rescue truck :)

Edited by stixx

it looks great and good luck whit it and new rochelle getting a collapse rescue truck :)

Do you know something that we don't know?

NRFD is getting a new heavy rescue. The 1991 R-4 will be converted to replace the current 1990 R-54 (collapse unit)

Before this topic fades out, just wondering what the County designation will be? Is it a Utility, a Squad Support Unit, a Rescue ?

Edited by SteveOFD

Really Sharp!!! I love the way that looks...

When do we get to see some more photos?

This truck will respond pretty much anywhere it is needed and requested, Rockland, Putnam, Fairfield, etc should consider this resource.....

?????????????????? How is that if they are closing companies and demoting Lt's.

?????????????????? How is that if they are closing companies and demoting Lt's.

Because, like all firefighters and police officers, when it comes down to it.....they'll get the job done- no matter where it is.

The money for this apparatus was bonded well before the economy tanked...as far as keeping the manpower up, we are undermanned in comparison to similar sized cities across the country and, barring a minor miracle, our manning levels will most likely be getting worse very soon...

And most of those places don't have 6 & 7 Story NFP "H" Type MD's with no standpipes like Yonkers. I love when i hear someone say Yonkers has great staffing. 2 men on the back step of the engines stretching to the top floor of these buildings doesn't cut it. And truck companies with that same staffing can't adequetly perform the proper inside and outside functions. As for the rig I think the chasis is a good choice because you get a short wheelbase on a rig that carries a lot of equipemnt. Key is keeping the first due companies from blocking these rigs out. Good luck with the rig and more importantly hopefully the powers that be come to their senses an leave your staffing alone.