Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

15 Car wreck on NBG-Beacon Bridge

37 posts in this topic

50 glad you're alright, where were you in reference to the large rigs involved in the wreck

Good to see you are ok. I was actually destined to be in the spot when it happened, but I spent a few extra minutes chatting with my relief when they came in this morning in Fishkill. It was bad that I got stuck on the wrong side, but I guess better than actually being in the pileup.

Glad to hear there were no serious injuries. Believe me, myself and all my co-workers @ Saint Francis were glad!!

We heard about the MVA from EMS crews, and were prepared for the worst, and glad it never came.

Looking at the pictures on ROL.com Slide Showit appears not everyone is in compliance with the new safety vest laws yet.

Looking at the pictures on www.recordonline.com it appears not everyone is in compliance with the new safety vest laws yet.

I see a roadway closed to non-emergency service traffic. ;) Nobody was exposed to moving traffic, at least not in the 12 pictures shown.

EDIT: Ok, one. But he'd be the one who'd be enforcing the law! :D

Edited by Doc

50 glad you're alright, where were you in reference to the large rigs involved in the wreck

I was driving the oil truck and got t-boned by the semi. By the time I stopped sliding, I was at the farthest end of the bridge, maybe 500-600 ft past everyone else. Don't know how I made it through because the accident started in front of me.

Pretty stiff this morning, but once I started moving around the stiffness went away, now just aches.

Edited by 50-65

Looking at the pictures on www.recordonline.com it appears not everyone is in compliance with the new safety vest laws yet.

23 CFR Part 634 states that the vest must be worn by the worker, which is defined in the regulation, when they are in the right of way. Since there was no traffic there was no right of way.

Secondly, a brother was involved in the accident, why in the world are we worried about if somebody on the scene had a vest on??

50 glad to hear you are ok and hope all involved are okay as well

Glad to hear you are alright 50-65. Good job to Middle Hope and the multiple EMS agencies on what must have been an extremely hectic situation. Newburgh-Beacon ain't exactly the calmest crossing sometimes.

I heard about this yesterday while running from job to job from one of my buddies that's a trooper in my area. Glad your ok brother.

Someone is always a vest picker... good eye, and your right, many (not all) departments down here haven't quite gotten that issue resolved yet. It's coming I assure you of that, just a little slower than everyone else it seems.

I'm another one of those "I was supposed to be there" - I just switched from glenham, to beacon, but don't have gear and can't actually do anything yet, and, my pager for BVAC was off, so that's a no go either.. figures.

50, glad you made it out unscathed for the most part! Hopefully your feeling better quickly.

Edited by frenchie477

50-65, glad to hear you are OK. Sounded like a pretty big deal when it first started, but before long, they were cancelling other mutual aid and turning those away that had already responded.

Thankfully, the rest of the day did not live up to the hype, as far as the weather forecast had been concerned. Mostly just rain around here.

I work for MLSS and was there. One of our supervisors was in a flycar that happened to come upon it first, he setup EMS command so it wasnt as bad of a cluster as it could've been. Doesn't change the fact that I hate bridges and ice...

I work for MLSS and was there. One of our supervisors was in a flycar that happened to come upon it first, he setup EMS command so it wasnt as bad of a cluster as it could've been. Doesn't change the fact that I hate bridges and ice...

Dan, I was looking through the pictures on the record, who's ambulance is that with the blue and white chevrons on the back? It looks pretty sharp. I'd also hate to be that prison bus... I'm sure the clients on board must have been just joyous to deal with.

See now I know you've been spending too much time in Dutchess. That is 1 of the Town of Newburgh's 3 new ambulances. I'll try to get you some pics.

See now I know you've been spending too much time in Dutchess. That is 1 of the Town of Newburgh's 3 new ambulances. I'll try to get you some pics.

I did a meet with TONVAC last weekend and was stuck sitting in the back of an orange ambulance with a captain's chair that resembled a carnival ride it was so bouncy. I knew they got new ambulances, but haven't really seen them. Oh... was that you on M-241 that I heard today? I had to look up what an M-241 was; we didn't have one of those when I was in the real company in Walden. :rolleyes:

I'd also hate to be that prison bus... I'm sure the clients on board must have been just joyous to deal with.

Well thats why they are cuffed, waist chained and Leg Ironed. Notice were one of the CO's is OUTSIDE. I am suprised that there is not a trooper car next to the bus per DOC's SOP's, however I am sure that the troopers were busy at the time.

23 CFR Part 634 states that the vest must be worn by the worker, which is defined in the regulation, when they are in the right of way. Since there was no traffic there was no right of way.

Secondly, a brother was involved in the accident, why in the world are we worried about if somebody on the scene had a vest on??

50 glad to hear you are ok and hope all involved are okay as well

With all do respect this is why we are dieing. Whether a brother was involved or not the vest is part of your PPE then it should be worn. Would you not put on your helmet because your brothers house is on fire or SCBA for that matter. If its in part of your PPE it should be worn. Yes maybe traffic flow was stopped but how about the multiple ambulance's, fire apparatus, Chief vehicles, Police vehicles and tow truck that were on scene. Do those count? We do not have a bridge in our area but I would imagine that with the 15 vehicle accident that the flow of traffic was shut down and some emergency vehicles might come from the opposite direction. That's a lot of traffic even the though the road is shut down.

Edited by LCFD968

With all do respect this is why we are dieing. Whether a brother was involved or not the vest is part of your PPE then it should be worn. Would you not put on your helmet because your brothers house is on fire or SCBA for that matter. If its in part of your PPE it should be worn. Yes maybe traffic flow was stopped but how about the multiple ambulance's, fire apparatus, Chief vehicles, Police vehicles and tow truck that were on scene. Do those count? We do not have a bridge in our area but I would imagine that with the 15 vehicle accident that the flow of traffic was shut down and some emergency vehicles might come from the opposite direction. That's a lot of traffic even the though the road is shut down.

Do incidents on the Bridge automatically trigger a dual Orange and Dutchess response?

Do incidents on the Bridge automatically trigger a dual Orange and Dutchess response?

Unless things have changed, the westbound span is covered by Dutchess and the eastbound span is covered by Orange. Unless traffic flow is completely obstructed (like yesterday), getting to the accident from the side opposite traffic flow would be deadly.

I don't know if Beacon and Middlehope have any way to coordinate as MHFD is on 800's and Beacon is on UHF. As far as ambulance response is concerned, I know TONVAC has 155.745 and can at least coordinate with DC911 if not BVAC directly. Mobile Life has the ability in all eastern Orange units to communicate with DC911 on UHF and should soon have UHF capability fleet-wide. I don't know if Alamo or BVAC have the ability to talk to Orange County.

Chief you missed the point of my post.

I totally agree with you in the use of our PPE. My post was meant to say that this topic was created by a fellow firefighter, about the fact that he was involved in the incident.

The point of the thread was lost, it wasn't meant to say whether or not units on scene were wearing their vests or not.

Chief you missed the point of my post.

I totally agree with you in the use of our PPE. My post was meant to say that this topic was created by a fellow firefighter, about the fact that he was involved in the incident.

The point of the thread was lost, it wasn't meant to say whether or not units on scene were wearing their vests or not.

Received..

I believe that Middle Hope usually gets called for incidents on the eastbound side. Beacon for the westbound side. In this case, Beacon couldn't get through to the whole scene as well as the size of it.

When my pager went off for Middle Hope, I called 36 Control and advised that traffic was shut down and for them to come east in the west bound lane. I also advised extreme caution as the bridge surface was a sheet of ice.

One of our other drivers said that when they did reopen the bridge around 10:30, that it was like driving on the beach they had so much sand out there. Too bad they couldn't have gotton out there at 8 to do it.

I believe that Middle Hope usually gets called for incidents on the eastbound side. Beacon for the westbound side. In this case, Beacon couldn't get through to the whole scene as well as the size of it.

When my pager went off for Middle Hope, I called 36 Control and advised that traffic was shut down and for them to come east in the west bound lane. I also advised extreme caution as the bridge surface was a sheet of ice.

One of our other drivers said that when they did reopen the bridge around 10:30, that it was like driving on the beach they had so much sand out there. Too bad they couldn't have gotton out there at 8 to do it.

Typically the bridge authority guys are right on top of sanding and plowing if need be. Like us though, they have people in charge who miss the boat sometimes.

Typically the bridge authority guys are right on top of sanding and plowing if need be. Like us though, they have people in charge who miss the boat sometimes.

There are a lot of considerations and most DOT supervisors would tell you they'd rather have 2 feet of snow than a storm in the 30-35 degree range. I worked Wednesday night and the temperature hovered between 31 and 33 degrees all night in the rain. If they spread sand at 2am, 3am, 4am, etc., it would have been a waste and washed out by the time it finally froze at 8:30. That's a considerable expense, not to mention the environmental impact of laying product over the river.

I can remember one Monday morning a few years ago when the same thing happened in the Newburgh area. I was on duty crew for NWVAC and we got called for 2 rigs to an MVA. By the time car 2 called on to assist a minute or 2 later, we had the initial accident covered, but the dispatcher told him there were 4 other MVA's in town that all happened simultaneously. All in all, we did something like of 15 calls in 90 minutes as everything turned to ice.

OUCH! That hurts! I'm curious, was DOT all over it like white on rice afterward? I had to sneak my them after the wreck in Newburgh. I never thought I'd come across them in that weather.

Yeah. I guess they went over to Quality to check it and the other truck involved. Allegedly that's standard procedure.

They've been a real pain in the a** lately. With the state budget cuts, they need to make up their revenue somewhere, although most of their budget comes from "enforcement".

All I know is if someone were driving their car and were pulled into a police checkpoint, required to show ID, required to explain where they have been, where they are going, where they were last night, and had their vehicle and personal papers and property searched and inspected, simply because of the fact that they happened to be on that road at that time, the general public would not stand for it.

Yeah. I guess they went over to Quality to check it and the other truck involved. Allegedly that's standard procedure.

They've been a real pain in the a** lately. With the state budget cuts, they need to make up their revenue somewhere, although most of their budget comes from "enforcement".

All I know is if someone were driving their car and were pulled into a police checkpoint, required to show ID, required to explain where they have been, where they are going, where they were last night, and had their vehicle and personal papers and property searched and inspected, simply because of the fact that they happened to be on that road at that time, the general public would not stand for it.

Well, those checkpoints do exist, to a certain degree. And as for Commercial Vehicles, they are always subject to heightened inspections and always have been.