Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mamaroneck Ladder 21?

30 posts in this topic

Just speaking with a friend of mine who's a Pierce sales rep down here, and he had information that Mamaroneck Village is looking to replace Ladder 21 ASAP, as it is permanetly out of service. Some demos & stock units from various manufacturers have been looked at.

Anyone with further information?

From one of thier members I heard that it failed the ladder test, specifically the tip load. But please correct me if I am wrong.

Isnt the current (former) ladder 21 a 1976 Seagrave.....

after 32 years of active service doesn't it seem like the truck needs to be replaced or refurbished during that time frame. I have no idea how busy VMFD is but I do know of very many if any 30+ year old rigs still operating in this county.

Any one know who might get to replace this rig?

L 21 was in service becasue of its wieght and 2 ladders do not fit into the ladder firehouse on mamaroneck ave . blg so it was kept at station 1 on palmer now while that blg is being replcaed it fit at station 3 but now its o/s forever

Edited by spike2231

L 21 was in service becasue of its wieght and 2 ladders do not fit into the ladder firehouse on mamaroneck ave . blg so it was kept at station 1 on palmer now while that blg is being replcaed it fit at station 3 but now its o/s forever

Sorry to hear that it is out of service.

What is VMFD mutual aid now with only one ladder? Who will go to them, knowing that they respond to TMFD first due??

Isn't there some screwy thing with their mutual aid? Like...they dont call TMFD if they need a ladder but call Port Chester...skipping over TMFD (closest) and Rye (second closest)? I really hope , for their residents, they consider adding TMFD to their assignment until the situation is mitigated.

So, is Ladder 21 being replaced, or is VMFD going down to one ladder (that monster Sutphen tiller)?

whats the problem with port chester being first to mamaroneck, we have bein first due to mamaroneck with a ladder for i cant even rember how long its been a long tiime, its like the same with us we dont got rye they call mamk ladder in i dont see a problem its just the way it works out

whats the problem with port chester being first to mamaroneck, we have bein first due to mamaroneck with a ladder for i cant even rember how long its been a long tiime, its like the same with us we dont got rye they call mamk ladder in i dont see a problem its just the way it works out

Come on now, Punctuation and spelling help a LOT.

Because its the way we always did it isn't a reason its an excuse. Maybe their selection is the best selection. The question people are asking is why is it better to go all the way to Port Chester when other depts may be closer.

Wow!!! Santa, please send one gift of Hooked on Phonics for someone!!!!

Because you have a staffed TMFD ladder probably less than 5 minutes away to any given address and a City of Rye ladder closer than port chester. I really could care less who gets to play at a village of mamaroneck or port chester fire, but the logistics that are pre-planned don't make a whole lot of sense. I just hope that someone's life doesn't depend on it.

I don't know the first thing about it either; heck I could barely find most of those towns on a map. Is it possible that Port Chester's ladder is more adaptable to the needs of the village. I know in some of our residential areas, it would be more beneficial to get the smaller ladder from a bit further away than the monster next to us that would be parked 2 blocks away.

1 word- POLITICS!

You took the words right out of my mouth...

Also, not only do you have the Staffed TMFD ladder, but also Larchmont and Harrison with the Tower Ladders right down the road. I'm gonna shut up now though before I piss off one of my VMFD buddies!

Edited by x648eng119

first off i have to start off by sayin sorry about the typing lol it was done from my blackberry studpid thing neways im not going to be on to knock but 25 truck is right it has alot to do with politics .... who knows well never know.. could it be that port chester has the choice that many departments dont you can ask for a tower or a straight stick.. who knows but what i do know that is evreryone in the sound shore area works great when the time comes to work together and thats all that matters....

Back to the original topic....got several tips that a KME or Ferrara Tower Ladder, possibly demo or stock units, are in the works. Won't be purchased until the new firehouse is complete.

its sittn on the side of my firehouse witch is station 3 on mamaroneck ave the truck is very old and failed almost every test between the ladder an etc... they are lookn at specs for now but i dont think there gettn it anytime soon because of the new mamaro thats being built. they made a mistake by buying that tiller cause were volunteer and sometimes we can't get 2 drivers so we have to call harrisons tower ladder or we go to the towns ladder.

x648eng119 i agree 100% with u ur totally right without a doubt!!! politics is almost every answer!

Edited by fire42rescue

I don't know the first thing about it either; heck I could barely find most of those towns on a map. Is it possible that Port Chester's ladder is more adaptable to the needs of the village. I know in some of our residential areas, it would be more beneficial to get the smaller ladder from a bit further away than the monster next to us that would be parked 2 blocks away.

Nah, TMFD's L19 is a SUPER short wheelbase, single axle 100ft. ladder. That thing is just like VMFD L21, only 30 years later.

I heard that VMFD was looking at a Tower Ladder to replace the old one. What's the word?

Edited by M' Ave

First of all, I dont know what half the people on here are talking about. There is no Mamaroneck Station 1, 2, 3, etc. Mamaroneck has (had) 5 houses. Volunteers, Hook and Ladder, Mamro, Columbia, and Halstead Manor. There will now only be 4, with the construction of the new building and the decomissioning of 2 of them. So please - make sure you know what you are saying, especially if you are from the Dept. There is no "station 1,2,3 etc. Also, there are still old ladders in service. Pelham Manor is operating a 1973 Tower Ladder as first due.

Just wanted to make some corrections before this thread continues down the road of factually incorrect information.

..... There is no Mamaroneck Station 1, 2, 3, etc. Mamaroneck has (had) 5 houses. Volunteers, Hook and Ladder, Mamro, Columbia, and Halstead Manor......

I think the poster said "station 3" because he said he was a volunteer with Volunteer Co. 3 and was just referring it as their station.

I had heard rumblings about this last year. Ferrara was the name I heard and that a member or a family member of one works for them on the island.

Because you have a staffed TMFD ladder probably less than 5 minutes away to any given address and a City of Rye ladder closer than port chester. I really could care less who gets to play at a village of mamaroneck or port chester fire, but the logistics that are pre-planned don't make a whole lot of sense. I just hope that someone's life doesn't depend on it.

... of course id have to agree with the majority and say politics is a bigger issue... now youd have to consider the question whats the staffing on all these ladders that could theoretically be "first due" to vmfd..?

First of all, I dont know what half the people on here are talking about. There is no Mamaroneck Station 1, 2, 3, etc. Mamaroneck has (had) 5 houses. Volunteers, Hook and Ladder, Mamro, Columbia, and Halstead Manor. There will now only be 4, with the construction of the new building and the decomissioning of 2 of them. So please - make sure you know what you are saying, especially if you are from the Dept. There is no "station 1,2,3 etc. Also, there are still old ladders in service. Pelham Manor is operating a 1973 Tower Ladder as first due.

Just wanted to make some corrections before this thread continues down the road of factually incorrect information.

What does Pelham Manor have to do with this? By the way, we are awaiting the arrival af a new Tower Ladder.

Earlier in this thread, there was a discussion about TMFD's ladder being called mutual aid by various other departments.

As far as I know, the Town of Mamaroneck's FAST team is now up and running, so I would think that neighboring departments would rather call for that and take a ladder from a department that may operate two truck companies.

Does VMFD really need two ladders ? How many times a year are two ladders needed in the village ?

This begs the same question as to why Rye needs two ladders ?

Does VMFD really need two ladders ? How many times a year are two ladders needed in the village ?

I am not going to beat a badly bleeding horse, nor do I wish to contribute to this thread veering off topic, but do some searching of old threads and you will find multiple valid answers to your latter question.

ISO requires (i.e. gives points) for spares. for every 1-7 engines & for every 1-7 trucks they want a spare.

I heard that they were looking at buying west harrisons TL any truth to that and whfd getting a smaller rig of some kind

any truth here at all