Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Soon-to-be laid off Yonkers firefighter helps rescue toddler

29 posts in this topic

Soon-to-be laid off Yonkers firefighter helps rescue toddler

By Leslie Korngold

The Journal News • December 30, 2008

YONKERS - A firefighter (Firefighter Gregory deSousa) slated to be laid off Jan. 2 is working to the bitter end - he carried a toddler to safety from a smoky fire this morning.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/article/20081230/NEWS02/812300398

Hang in there Greg,you've been a great addition to the job.Scarsdale's loss is our gain.

I have known Greg for a # of years, an asset to any Department, a true gentleman, I am not surprised to see that he was involved in the rescue. I hope YFD finds a way to keep all the firefighters! GREAT GRAB BROTHER!!!!

Did you see some of the replies?!? Unbelieveable..

I was just thinking the same thing, Wow there is alot of hate there in the relies.

Good save!!!!

Edited by markmets415

Unbelievable. Those replies are sickening.

-YES they are !!! Any JN story (any!) about us (YFD) always generates these hateful posts, and I'm still not sure why ! :angry:

-YES they are !!! Any JN story (any!) about us (YFD) always generates these hateful posts, and I'm still not sure why ! :angry:

What the hell are these people thinking when they post this crap, damn that is the lowest of the low. Great job again guys!!!!!

Good job Greg! That one guy with the negative post sounds like the envious type.

Great Job Greg I hope this will bring to light the need for all the manpower we can get.

Nice job Greg and all involved.

As it was stated previously. Greg has been an asset to the YFD and Local 628 since coming over last year from Scarsdale FD. A firefighter at heart and a gentleman.

Our gain was their loss indeed.

Edited by BFarr156

Awesome job Greg! As stated Greg is a great firefighter and all around guy. I hope they find a way to keep them where they are and if they don't that they do what is needed to get them back promptly.

I don't think it's a YFD issue. Follow the comments of ANY JN story regarding Police or Fire, and you'll consistantly see some very negative reactions from the readers.

Man I couldn't believe the comments, I had to stop reading them, just ticks you off doesn't it?

Anyway, I do not FF DeSousa but he deserves a hand shake and a pat on the back for a job well done!!!!!

Awesome job Greg! As stated Greg is a great firefighter and all around guy. I hope they find a way to keep them where they are and if they don't that they do what is needed to get them back promptly.

Greg you already know how highly I think of you but I'll put it on here anyway...hang in there brother, it's a crappy time right now but guys like you will always land on their feet, rise to the top, blah, blah,blah, oh forget it you already heard all this from me and I'll talk to you soon. Oh yeah, good job today...you're not gonna ask for a medal or anything are you? I hope not cause they cut that line totally out of our budget and we're all out of medals..

Greg you already know how highly I think of you but I'll put it on here anyway...hang in there brother, it's a crappy time right now but guys like you will always land on their feet, rise to the top, blah, blah,blah, oh forget it you already heard all this from me and I'll talk to you soon. Oh yeah, good job today...you're not gonna ask for a medal or anything are you? I hope not cause they cut that line totally out of our budget and we're all out of medals..

Thanks Chief for sharing that, nice to see the support.

Hats off to the YFD members, hang in there guys! jjc

It is unbelievable, cowardly lowlifes hiding behind there screen names as mentioned in the article. I wish the YFD brothers the best, hopefully this insanity will end soon !!

Greg great job--being in the right place at the right time--- your training went into motion---you emotions were in check-I am absolutely positive--at that moment you were not thinking about being a laid off firefighter--you were a firefighter with a mission to complete--your life was on the line. congratulations on a most heroic act of courage and bravery.

For the record Greg-- an positive human being-- a firefighter that any Officer would love to have under their command. Best to you Greg and I truly hope things work out for you and the brothers of YFD.

Good jod to that FF & some of the replies are unreal, I want to see that guy go into a building that's on fire

There will several news stories interviewing Greg and another Firefighter (Kyle Thomas), who is also slated to be laid off. Tonight 12/31 - Channels 5 & 9 @ 5PM & 10PM, Channel 11 @ 10 PM and Channel 7 @ 5PM.

Hopefully this situation works out for everyone involved and no one gets laid off or demoted. It will be devastating to morale and the job as a whole.

Great job by Greg and YFD - I thought the lohud story itself was pretty good.

I have a question though. Why is a FF with 11 years being laid off? And not someone that has just joined the dept? I feel bad for anyone that is laid off - but it has got to be easier on a newer /younger guy. I guess the city saves more money with an experienced firefighter .....

I have a question though. Why is a FF with 11 years being laid off? And not someone that has just joined the dept? I feel bad for anyone that is laid off - but it has got to be easier on a newer /younger guy. I guess the city saves more money with an experienced firefighter .....

-He came to the YFD in the last class- it goes by Yonkers time on job.

Being laid off isn't easy for anyone...young or old!

Good Luck to all of the brothers in Yonkers effected by this.

Edited by M139

Did they also go and put the Lt's back to firefighters. So to say this but they should have took his retirement papers and not gave them back or they should have made him go back to a garbage man.

Good luck to all who have been hurt by this.

CPage