Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Elizabeth, NJ - FF Gary Stephens LODD - 1/2/09

20 posts in this topic

ELIZABETH NJ (WABC) -- A firefighter was killed battling a second-alarm fire that tore through two

houses in Elizabeth this morning.

The blaze reportedly broke out inside a Marshall Street home just after 2:15 a.m. and quickly spread to another building.

Heavy flames could be seen shooting out the windows as it consumed the homes.

Eyewitness News is told one Elizabeth firefighter arriving at the scene appears to have been struck by a fire truck, possibly after falling off the large vehicle.

The firefighter was transported to Trinitas Hospital and pronounced dead.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=...&id=6581888

(Elizabeth FD will hold a Press Conference later today)

It is a rare occurance for a firefighter to be struck by a firetruck. This is indeed a tragic incident and my prayers go to the Elizabeth FD and the member's family. I would love to see the final investigative report on this incident so we can try to prevent another similar tragedy.

What a horrible way to start the new year.

Prayers for the Family

It is a rare occurance for a firefighter to be struck by a firetruck. This is indeed a tragic incident and my prayers go to the Elizabeth FD and the member's family. I would love to see the final investigative report on this incident so we can try to prevent another similar tragedy.

What a horrible way to start the new year.

yes a very horrible incident however it happens more then you think. Yes we need to stop these deaths have been said for many years

As far as the elizabeth ff may he rest in peace to the the family and friends and to the elizabeth fd condolences

I guess it was too much to hope for to make it more than a day into 2009 without a LODD.

Rest in Peace, Brother. My heartfelt condolences to his family and his department.

LODD

Firefighter Gary Stephens

28 Year

Veteran Firefighter

Incident - Working Fire

335 Marshall Street

Elizabeth, NJ

January 2, 2009

Rest in Peace Brother, may God Bless you and your Family and may your fellow fire fighters be comforted by their memories of you.

Firefighter Gary Stephens (unknown company) died as a result of injuries sustained while operating at a second alarm at 335 Marshall Street in Elizabeth. Firefighter Stephens, age 57, was a twenty eight year veteran of the Elizabeth Fire Department.

Local news media outlets are reporting that Firefighter Stephens was briefly distracted while standing behind a fire truck (engine?) as it backed up to lay hose to fire hydrant when the slow-moving vehicle ran him over. I also heard that he might have slipped on ice causing him to fall to the ground. Either way the story does not make much sense but as with any media report take it with a grain of salt.

The second alarm fire destroyed a vacant 2.5 wood frame and damaged an similar occuiped exposure. The fire is being inveestigated as arson. Police had been called to remove squatters in the past. Last nights temperatures were in the low 20's.

Edited by NJMedic

Rest in Peace brother,you worked all to hard for this to happen to you and your family.

A terrible accident no matter how you look at it.

I had heard at 0600news that he fell out of the truck but nothing was confirmed. My source on that was Eyewitness News.

Sorry to hear of this terrible event. May FF Stephens rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and colleagues, as well as the driver of the apparatus involved.

As you know, Elizabeth (NJ) FF Gary Stephens died in the Line of Duty in a horribly tragic accident early this morning when he was run over by his apparatus as it backed up while establishing water. He had 28-years on the EFD. The apparatus (photo on our home page) was being driven by one of FF Stephens' longtime friends, a 25-year veteran of the EFD.

The apparatus was moving at less than 5 mph when the tragedy occurred under a bridge supporting the New Jersey Turnpike. FF Stephens was directing the vehicle with hand signals as it backed up to lay a line for the structural fires a few blocks away. FF Stephens was hit after he turned to look at the fire. As we can all just attempt to imagine, the driver of the apparatus is ``devastated.''

IN THE SLAMMER:

Emilio Vasquez, 19, was arrested this afternoon on arson and murder charges after he admitted setting the fire in an effort to keep warm. Vasquez had been living as a squatter there the past five days...there is no bail.

FF Stephens is survived by a wife and brother. His father also was a firefighter in Elizabeth, from 1949 to 1973.

an update from the secretlist

Rest in Peace, Firefighter Stephens. and may God grant your family, friends andthe Elizabeth Emergency Services Community the strength to make it through this most difficult time.