Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

State Police/Albany area police shootout 01-10-08

24 posts in this topic

That was pretty awesome video. I would not have been that close to a suspect with a long gun...

Hopefully a once in a lifetime event for all of those involved - though for some of them probably not. Seems like it was handled very professionally - apart from maybe the bystanders on the bridge :)

P.S. who was that wearing their ANSI vests? They were certainly a lot more visible than the other folk :D

It looked like the people wearing the vests were with the ambulance that arrived on scene later as you can see in the video.

I think in this case wearing an ANSI compliant vest might just make you an easier target!

I wonder if lawmakers ever gave that a thought...

That was pretty awesome video. I would not have been that close to a suspect with a long gun...

It would appear that the officer with the long gun was the contact officer and the other was the cover officer, he appears to have approached after the suspect was down and the immediate threat was gone. Thats just my opinion from the video. Unless youre refering to the begining of the video, that was the perp next to the cab shooting, no an officer. Looked text book until everyone came running up to the drivers side and the officer was on the passenger side "covering" the suspect, would have been a hell of a crossfire situation should there been another threat in the car. Scary stuff, but definitly good job from what the video shows.

Edited by OnTheWheel

I think in this case wearing an ANSI compliant vest might just make you an easier target!

The lawmakers may not have but I sure have. Its nice they have the velcro shoulders and side straps, can be "ripped" off in a hurry!

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=759251

updated article regarding the incident.

EAST GREENBUSH - The 22-year-old Connecticut man who opened fire on police with an assault rifle on Interstate 90 Saturday taunted police to kill him as he shot at them.

Darrel O. Brown of Hartford remains at Albany Medical Center Hospital in a comatose state and is not expected to survive his injuries, Maj. William S. Sprague, commander of State Police Troop G said Monday.

Brown was shot numerous times by a police SWAT team, troopers said. A State Police sharp-shooter ended the incident firing one shot into Brown's head from a .308 caliber scoped rifle, Sprague said.

Heres a good question, How in gods name did this lunatic get his hands on a chinese made assault rifle?

ebay? :lol:

In all seriousness that is a good question. I'm assuming that it was illegal, but we all know the saying about assumptions.

easy. First off, the difference between a rifle and an assault rifle are the accessories. Collapsable stock, pistol grip, and high capacity magazine turns your run of the mill Bushmaster AR-15 into an assault rifle or in this case your imitation AK-47. You can go to your local gun shop and pick one up tomorrow.

Yes, but I thought that assault rifles were usually semi-automatic, automatic or fired several shots (Not fully automatic) with one squeeze of the trigger.

They exempted Law Enforcement officers when not performing traffic control activities.

law enforcement personnel when directing traffic, investigating crashes, and handling lane closures, obstructed roadways, and disasters within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway.

FR Doc E8-27671

Yes, but I thought that assault rifles were usually semi-automatic, automatic or fired several shots (Not fully automatic) with one squeeze of the trigger.

You can pull a trigger pretty fast and make it look and work the same as an automatic. Or he may have shaved the fireing pin down and then it is an auto.

You can pull a trigger pretty fast and make it look and work the same as an automatic. Or he may have shaved the fireing pin down and then it is an auto.

I'm not an armorer but I'm pretty sure it isn't the firing pin that gets filed down and to prevent the would be do-it-yourselfer from trying it at home I'll refrain from speculating on the appropriate part. :lol:

I'm not an armorer but I'm pretty sure it isn't the firing pin that gets filed down and to prevent the would be do-it-yourselfer from trying it at home I'll refrain from speculating on the appropriate part. :lol:

Aw, come on Chris, you can tell us... it's not like any of us have a dad who loads his own ammo in his basement or anything...

that would be why I said firing pin. At worst someone tried that would be one less gun..........

There is no great secret to turning a semi to a full auto. It is easy. The perps gun was semi auto. These guns are designed for military operations where full auto or burst fire is desired. 20 minutes online and just about anyone can return their gun to its designed capability. Anyone who cleans their own gun and has any mechanical ability can figure it out with no help. The older the gun the easier it is. In a military AK, AR-15, SA-80, etc there is switch that activates or deactivates a second sear that catches the bolt before it reaches the trigger sear. The civilian version has the second sear and no switch. Smart people disassemble the gun and remove the sear and spring so when appropriate they can return the gun to semi auto. Those less gifted cut the spring and tie to solder the sear in place. CPAGE is right, you are going to want to file down the firing pin. A finer pin is less likely to misfire in full auto. Cheap ammo plus fat pin can get your fail rate over 50%.

It looked like the people wearing the vests were with the ambulance that arrived on scene later as you can see in the video.

WF Bruen Rescue Squad was the responding agency, out of East Greenbush.

Edited by JackEMT

Check out the uploaded dash-cam video footage of the incident.

www.timesunion.com