Followers 0
x635

Austin, TX FD Shift Commander "Slicktop"

16 posts in this topic

Austin, TX FD

Shift Commander

2009 Chevrolet Tahoe

w/ "slicktop" lighting package.

Note: Austin has several Battalion Chiefs, this Chief is in charge of the entire shift on more of an admin level and responds only to larger incidents.

I thought this was one awesome looking truck, that's why I'm sharing it here.

post-11-1233179385.jpg

It is a very cool looking car. If is wasn't red, it would also make for a nice police car.

It is a very cool looking car. If is wasn't red, it would also make for a nice police car.

Austin PD has almost the exact same vehicle, but in their black-and-white paint scheme.

I have a question regarding slick-top fire vehicles...

It is legal for a slick-top chiefs car like the one above, are there any liability or impersonation concerns that the department or chief needs to worry about.

Its obvious since it is marked chief and is firetruck red in this situation, but I have seen fire inspection/marshal and other fire department staff vehicles that have an almost slick-top police car look.

example: http://www.specialtywarningsystems.com/Fir...5_side_text.jpg

I love the look of this car. Personally, I think the cars look so much nicer like this, especially without all the antennas we are used to seeing in westchester.

Great looking truck and good luck with it

I have a question regarding slick-top fire vehicles...

It is legal for a slick-top chiefs car like the one above, are there any liability or impersonation concerns that the department or chief needs to worry about.

Its obvious since it is marked chief and is firetruck red in this situation, but I have seen fire inspection/marshal and other fire department staff vehicles that have an almost slick-top police car look.

example: http://www.specialtywarningsystems.com/Fir...5_side_text.jpg

It doesn't matter what it looks like. You can get a surplus impala at any PD auction. What matters is what you do with it.

Chiefs cars do not fall under NFPA 1901-they are in a category with utilities, from what i am told you can light em up anyway you want!

nice looking car goodl uck with it

Nice looking truck, not a big fan of slicktop design for fire vehicles though...

The big positive I can see with it is with no exterior lightbar, it cuts down on drag, therefore improving fuel mileage.

The big negative, which I feel outweighs the positive, is lack of 360 degree warning. I'm not saying it's not there, but it's always going to better with a full bar. I'd rather be safer than gain a little bit of fuel mileage, but that's just me!

Chiefs cars do not fall under NFPA 1901-they are in a category with utilities, from what i am told you can light em up anyway you want!

Does that mean you can get a Hummer as a Chief's Car? I'd like to see that.

Does that mean you can get a Hummer as a Chief's Car? I'd like to see that.

H1's have been used as chief's cars. I've even seen Porsche Cayenne's, but not yet in the states.

I like the look of that truck..but again, i am not a fan of slick tops.

I like the look of that truck..but again, i am not a fan of slick tops.

yeah but you sport one daily! :rolleyes: oh you mean on the vehicle.

Nice clean looking car.

It's nice, but I don't know if I like the slicktop for a cheif truck and it does lool nicer w/o all the antennas