Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Protective Hoods - Yay or Nay

Protective Hood - Yay or nay?   162 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one!

• I wear a hood inside
    • I do NOT wear a hood at all
    • I wear a hood around my neck, but do not pull it up over my cranium.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

75 posts in this topic

Taking something from another post and making it a poll...

Do you wear a hood, nomex or otherwise in a fire?

YES I DO!!!!!

and I have pics to prove it! Ahhhooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

I always have it on more than one occasion, have forgotten to pull it up over my neck (oops)! :o

i have to wear one now , i was at the seminar in elmsford and they gave away at least 25 door prizes and great prizes at that, but me i won a hood something i get for free, but it was a great seminar

I remember my girl's father (27 years on the job) telling me an old war story about some old salty FDNY old timer who refused to wear his hood until he lost half of both his ears in a basement fire. Seems kinda silly to not wear it, no?

I've worn it everytime, for fear of what might happen if I don't...

I learned real quick after getting a first degree burn along the top of my ears to wear the hood. I don't know what was worse, the pain of the burn, or hearing about it from my wife, since I became her first patient as an EMT.

For you non hood wearers - do you wear your ear flaps down?

Always wear it.

why wouldn't you????

I don't know...I guess you can say the same for fastening waist straps on SCBA....chin straps on lids....eye protection on pins.....a mask during OV....

Why do we do the things we do?

Edited by x129K

I wear it but I can see the argument of why some people don't. With all the new materials (of turnout gear) and protective equipment you can sometimes get too deep for your own good. I guess the logic is when you ears start burning its time to think about a way out.

For you non hood wearers - do you wear your ear flaps down?

You would be amazed at how effective the ear flaps are when used with the hood. I have personally seen the difference, with the hood nearly burning through while the ear flaps kept the other hood completely fine, and will always wear both.

Politically correct answer - I wear it every time

Honest answer - not always

Ear flaps - rarely

I have of late made a determined effort to correct the error of my ways....grudgingly :D

Cogs

The one time i forgot to wear it i suffered some painful burns on the tops of my ears. Pain i never want to feel again so i try to remember it every time now.

I wear it but I can see the argument of why some people don't. With all the new materials (of turnout gear) and protective equipment you can sometimes get too deep for your own good. I guess the logic is when you ears start burning its time to think about a way out.

This has been my rationale, and how I was taught many moons ago. In all honesty though, right or wrong my "non" compliance has served me well for many years and through many a job.

Cogs

In all honesty though, right or wrong my "non" compliance has served me well for many years and through many a job.

Cogs

And me as well.

I wear mine around my neck, and have only pulled it over me head once in the past few years...I don't usually fasten my throat/collar closure due to my speaker mic, so the hood offers me a bit of protection there...

I make a habit of putting my flaps down and fastening my chinstrap when "going in"....

Not sure I get what you mean by that. Getting in too deep? You should be putting the training and experience you have to work for you and monitor conditions in the enviroment you are in. You can also get burned through the hood. Dont get me wrong, things go wrong, but if I miss something , I want that protection. And when those ears start to burn, oops too late.

Not sure I get what you mean by that. Getting in too deep? You should be putting the training and experience you have to work for you and monitor conditions in the enviroment you are in. You can also get burned through the hood. Dont get me wrong, things go wrong, but if I miss something , I want that protection. And when those ears start to burn, oops too late.

I completely agree that you should use your training to monitor your surrounding conditions, but besides a TIC what can you use to monitor heat? If you take away your sense of feel then you have nothing. Why would it be too late when your ears start to get some heat? I would think it would be too late when your ears start to burn and you do have a hood on. Your hood is most likely made of the same material as your turnouts so burnt ears would be the least of your problems.

Edited by Scottyk107

I completely agree that you should use your training to monitor your surrounding conditions, but besides a TIC what can you use to monitor heat? If you take away your sense of feel then you have nothing. Why would it be too late when your ears start to get some heat? I would think it would be too late when your ears start to burn and you do have a hood on. Your hood is most likely made of the same material as your turnouts so burnt ears would be the least of your problems.

Excelent question - hopefully these guys will answer with some tips - I am outa here! Log back on in the AM with some fresh Joe!

being a new fire fighter the way they drill you in ff1 it becomes like a routine hood on, neck closed, waist strap done. it just feels rong not to do any of those things

For one, you can tell how much heat you're coming up against by the amount of fire in front of you. If everything down the hall is roaring, good chance it's hot. Another indicator is the smoke. You've got to be able to read it and know if things are getting worse or better. If smoke is coming at you with force and a tremendous amount of heat, and maybe some occasional licks of flame - crack the knob! If you don't have a handline, use a water can. If you don't have either, it may be time to retreat. Other indicators are your surroundings. If paint is blistering up, if plastics are melting and/or light bulbs are melting, good chance you're up against some heat.

It's "not too late" if you feel heat thru the hood. With all the stuff burning inside buildings now, I find myself getting that sting on my ears more often then 10 years ago. Being aggressive and pushing in is a good thing, but you have to rely on your training, experience and gut instincts to tell you when you're pushing it too far. I've been down hallways and in attics with guys where the heat is so great I can see their leather helmets changing shape and their bourke shields curling down. Once that line - your life line - is opened up the conditions change and as long as you're putting the right water on it, the problem goes away!

I won't ever go into any environment where I'm wearing an SCBA without my hood. It's routine. Even as a Chief stuck at my command post I throw the hood on, then the pants, coat, then helmet. You've got to make getting dressed a systematic approach so you don't forget anything. If you do it every time, even if it's not needed, it will become routine and before you know it, you won't even be able to recall the last time you forgot it.

Good topic.

I dont use it very much because i dont go inside, I use it whenever im really close to heat and fire, I use it whenever i near alot of water or if its raining hard to keep my hearing aid dry

I throw it on around my neck in case I need it, than throw my ear flaps down all the time. I like to be able to feel the temperature and know when I am getting in too deep...Yes, there is such thing as getting too deep. I responded to a fire in a real estate office a while back. I was on the mutual aid engine and we were second due to the fire. The initial attack crews were exiting fast when we pulled up. When I went in with the nozzle I could feel the conditions around me with just my ear flaps down and knew it was extremely hot in there. I stayed about 5 foot in the door and hit the fire while the others vented the building enough for me to advance the line. Turned out to be a building with plastic log facing on the walls, fake stuff to make it look like a log cabin, and the heat put off was intense enough to burn through 2 other guys hoods because they ran in and got too deep before the hoods finally started to fail them and their ears were raw. I felt it early enough to stay out until vented.

In my 20 years of firefighting I never have had a problem without my hood on. I always use the ear flaps though, and the hood is always around my neck. Its a personal preference, and no one here should be pointing a finger at anyone else.

Good topic.

I always wear mine, probably because thats how I was trained to get dressed from basic ff class back in 1999.

But while we're on the topic, who like what hoods best. I've used the black nomex, white nomex, and PBI hoods, and I must say I like the white nomex ones the best. After using them a couple of times, they look nasty, but they hold up better than the black ones, and I think the PBI ones are just a little too thin.

The black nomex ones are great for cold days on a motorcycle though!!!!

For one, you can tell how much heat you're coming up against by the amount of fire in front of you. If everything down the hall is roaring, good chance it's hot. Another indicator is the smoke. You've got to be able to read it and know if things are getting worse or better. If smoke is coming at you with force and a tremendous amount of heat, and maybe some occasional licks of flame - crack the knob! If you don't have a handline, use a water can. If you don't have either, it may be time to retreat. Other indicators are your surroundings. If paint is blistering up, if plastics are melting and/or light bulbs are melting, good chance you're up against some heat.

It's "not too late" if you feel heat thru the hood. With all the stuff burning inside buildings now, I find myself getting that sting on my ears more often then 10 years ago. Being aggressive and pushing in is a good thing, but you have to rely on your training, experience and gut instincts to tell you when you're pushing it too far. I've been down hallways and in attics with guys where the heat is so great I can see their leather helmets changing shape and their bourke shields curling down. Once that line - your life line - is opened up the conditions change and as long as you're putting the right water on it, the problem goes away!

I won't ever go into any environment where I'm wearing an SCBA without my hood. It's routine. Even as a Chief stuck at my command post I throw the hood on, then the pants, coat, then helmet. You've got to make getting dressed a systematic approach so you don't forget anything. If you do it every time, even if it's not needed, it will become routine and before you know it, you won't even be able to recall the last time you forgot it.

Good topic.

Fantastic post! Just what I was hoping for! You have to learn to read the building, the smoke, the fire...and the only way to learn that is experience. A real fire will behave and look different that the training center fires...unfortunatly, fires are fairly rare in alot of areas now...it is hard to get that real world experience. When in doubt - rely on your gut instinct!

I throw it on around my neck in case I need it, than throw my ear flaps down all the time. I like to be able to feel the temperature and know when I am getting in too deep...Yes, there is such thing as getting too deep. I responded to a fire in a real estate office a while back. I was on the mutual aid engine and we were second due to the fire. The initial attack crews were exiting fast when we pulled up. When I went in with the nozzle I could feel the conditions around me with just my ear flaps down and knew it was extremely hot in there. I stayed about 5 foot in the door and hit the fire while the others vented the building enough for me to advance the line. Turned out to be a building with plastic log facing on the walls, fake stuff to make it look like a log cabin, and the heat put off was intense enough to burn through 2 other guys hoods because they ran in and got too deep before the hoods finally started to fail them and their ears were raw. I felt it early enough to stay out until vented.

In my 20 years of firefighting I never have had a problem without my hood on. I always use the ear flaps though, and the hood is always around my neck. Its a personal preference, and no one here should be pointing a finger at anyone else.

Good topic.

Amen my Brother!

You can tell the younger members here--statments like--thats the way we were taught in FF1--it feels wrong not to wear it--all come form the Firefighter one play book--wear your equipment--ware it right--wear it all the time. It looks like they were paying attention. Some changes take time and have to come from the bottom up.