Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

City Of White Plains Firefighter Exam Open

47 posts in this topic

Ad in todays Journal News

City Of White Plains Firefighter Exam, Filing Open through March 31st.

Test will be on June 4th.

Must be a legal Westchester County resident. Preference given to WP residents.

Applications available at City Hall.

It says also at www.cityofwhiteplains.com, but that website is HORRIBLY layed out, and I can't find where the app is.

8/8/05:

156 White Plains residents have qualified for the agility test.

Non-residents will not be taking the agility test at this time and it is "highly unlikely" that non-residents will ever be called upon from the June 2004 test.

Good luck to you WP natives on the physical!

I recieved a letter from White Plains today saying that I passed the test but because I don't live there it's not likely that I (or any non-residents) would be called for the agility test. Too bad they don't just give extra points to residents like Stamford or many other places. I think that it's pretty stupid that they would call the 156th person before they would call the top person on the non-resident list.

On the bright side though, if you took both FDMV and White Plains and got the letter saying you passed WP, then you most likely passed FDMV.

any one know how the agility works? is it graded based on time?

any one know how the agility works? is it graded based on time?

yes, there are i think 5 out of 8 events that are timed then added together to give you a total time which is then scored and combined with your writen score the other three events are pass or fail ( ladder climb, ground ladder lift, and 5 ft. wall climb)

8/8/05:

156 White Plains residents have qualified for the agility test.

Non-residents will not be taking the agility test at this time and it is "highly unlikely" that non-residents will ever be called upon from the June 2004 test.

Good luck to you WP natives on the physical!

Thats just a stock letter that they send out. i got the same one when i took the test years ago. was this the county test or was it a city specific test? cause WP will never call anyone who does not live there and with MV, well i aint gonna fight fire for no pension when i retire and a whoping $25,000 a yr. I am on the top of the list for pelham with Residencey and Volunteer credits. it aint as busy as WP but we get called to MV and New Rochelle.

a question to those who are taking the W.P. agility when are the dates to take the agility and do you have to call or send in any leter by a certain date. thx

THE TEST IS BEING HELD SEPTEMBER 10 AT THE WCTC

yes, there are i think 5 out of 8 events that are timed then added together to give you a total time which is then scored and combined with your writen score the other three events are pass or fail ( ladder climb, ground ladder lift, and 5 ft. wall climb)

I just saw this and I wanted to point out that there is no written test score for the WPFD test. It was a pass/fail test. Ranking is based only on the following timed events... Hose pull, donut lift, hose carry, overhead pulley, and ladder traverse.

Does anyone know why exactly WPFD would make the written test pass /fail? I would think that your knowledge and mental performance are more important or at least equal to that of your physical performance?!?!?!

hey does anyone know when W.P. might make new hires from the new list

hey does anyone know when W.P. might make new hires from the new list

I heard they are in the process of hiring 5-7 guys off the most recent list. Not sure about the new list though.

I heard they are in the process of hiring 5-7 guys off the most recent list.  Not sure about the new list though.

i heard the same thing and i also heard that MVFD is also hiring 5 guys off the old list for the september class

Good Luck to all taking the City of White Plains FD Agility Test Tomorrow

scored a 125.28 sec. on the agility today, how did everyone else do?

scored a 125.28 sec. on the agility today, how did everyone else do?

Im assuming u just added up all your times. I scored a 117.41. But I think that there is some kind of weighted formula for each event. If anyone knows can you please explain how it works.

even thought the events are weighted a little differently what overall time do you would be considered competitive?

Friend of mine that just finished the agility portion of this test got called on Friday and they advised him that the letters were being held up because the Department of Justice has to review the test/list. Has anyone else heard about this? and how long is it expected to hold up the process?

Didn't the same issue come up over their last police test too?

they most likely did but i'm not sure i just think that it is ridiculous to be put on hold over and over again after paying the test fees and going through all the B.S. and then finding out oh we're gonna put the test on hold until it expires and then well have to make a new list it just gets anoying after a while.

Can someone please explain to me what is going on with this new list. Im a little confused?!?!?

i havent gotten anything in the mail yet from the city and its been almost 9! weeks

i bet you we all get screwed and they hire the 5-10 off the old list anyway

Yeah, I wonder what the hold up is. Day after day I open my mailbox and find NOTHING!!! I thought for sure we would hear something by Thanksgiving....but I guess not.

cool thanks for re- assurance! im calling the city personnel today so if i hear anything ill let you all know..but i dont think ill get a clear answer cuz they dont have their stuff together!!!!

The hiring process for fire departments in westchester is really stupid. You end up getting guys who don't really want the job before you would get a guy who was a volly for years and really loves the job and has a passion to be there. it's really a shame. And then they jerk you around on a list for years and never even hire you. You could be in the top ten, and because you don't have resisency your out. half the guys lie about the residency anyway. The whole system is BS, Vollys should get extra credit, or they should make volly experience a pre-requisite. I'm on both sides of the fence, and i still think it's BS, i only got on because of luck.. someone should step up and do something about it. You have a lot of good firemen out there sitting on a list going to waste. it's a dam shame.

good point man...i just called the city and they said the results will be out by the end of the year!!! so another month and a half basicly.

Damn...I am so anxious to know where I stand. I hope its out before 2006.

yea itll be here 3rd or last week in december cuz the guy said before the end of year..keep waitin guys!!!

Sooooooooo...I was bored today and thought id give the Personel office a call. They said the list is still being reviewed and that they have no timetable as to when the list is expected to be sent out!!!! I wish I never even called..atleatst before I had hopes for the end of the year...now who knows when the list will come out!!!!!!

Hey just curious, what total time did you other guys/girls get on the agility? My individual times are posted earlier within this post.

Total time: 117.41

Edited by cl117

you know not to knock on the city or anything but their organizational skills are a little ridiculous! who gives a test when they already had an active list? well see you guys in another 4 years