Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Round Rock,TX PD Special Detail Car

17 posts in this topic

I recently had the opportunity to photograph a Round Rock, TX PD Special Detail car.

All Round Rock PD officers are assigned their own "take home" marked car, and these cars are reserved for supervisors, detectives, and special details. When a new officer is hired, a new cruiser is budgeted for that officer. Also, the officer's name is on the car. The shops are constantly receiving and outputting new cruisers onto the street, and a marked one is also reflected in this photo feature.

Round Rock is a city just north of Austin. I-35, a major from-Mexico drug route, runs right through the middle of the fast-growing city. It is also where Dell Computer was founded and they have their huge corporate headquarter campus here. Also home to the Dell Diamond, the home of the Nolan Ryan's Round Rock Express minor league baseball team. The city also has a growing residential and commercial poppulation, as well as industrial and other diverse sectors of the city.

The PD recently moved into a beautiful, spacious $24 million state-of-the-art headquarters in the northern part of the City. It is one of the most beautiful and modern facilities I've ever been in. This was an upgrade for them from a cramped, segregated medical office building that kind of evolved into a Police station. Some features include a huge training room, which doubles as a public briefing room, etc. A forensics lab, defensive tatics training room, gym, loading dock and huge evidence warehouse for offloading evidence from a tractor trailer, booking facility, state of the art dispatch center, gated parking, indoor parking for all official vehicles, and many other impressive features make up their new facility on a 70 acre campus.

Thanks to all the officers involved in this photo session of this vehicle.

post-11-1236804925.jpg

post-11-1236804928.jpg

post-11-1236804933.jpg

post-11-1236805235.jpg

post-11-1236805876.jpg

post-11-1236805248.jpg

post-11-1236805254.jpg

post-11-1236805260.jpg

post-11-1236805264.jpg

Their cars are personalized? Officer XYZ on the bottom?

Wow, i like the addition of the weapon above your head... The Australian Police cars don't have any other weapons now except for the Glocks on the officers belt.

Yeah, nice AR above the Officer. Better than having to run to the trunk in a firefight.

Their cars are personalized? Officer XYZ on the bottom?

Yes. There was much debate in the department about it, but in the end it was decided that it was a good community policing concept. The public really likes it here, and I think it's cool to kind of "get to know" the officers that way.

post-11-1236824379.jpg

Pretty neat idea having the officer's name on the car, shows pride and that the officers are individuals not just a Police Dept name, excellent touch, thanks for sharing Seth.

post-11-1236804928.jpg

Nice shots.

One question, does that MDT have a printer for tickets?

Edited by 23piraf

Yes. There was much debate in the department about it, but in the end it was decided that it was a good community policing concept. The public really likes it here, and I think it's cool to kind of "get to know" the officers that way.

On the flip side, I wouldn't want everyone in the community knowing where I live.

really nice cars, but does the undercover one really need a back-up camera?

I'm just gonna guess and say that the screen is what is being taped on the dash cam. Unless I'm looking at something wrong.

Nice shots.

One question, does that MDT have a printer for tickets?

They have a PDA-type device that has a printer built in for tickets.

I'm just gonna guess and say that the screen is what is being taped on the dash cam. Unless I'm looking at something wrong.

You're correct. One of the features is that they can playback footage from the camera instantly.

On the flip side, I wouldn't want everyone in the community knowing where I live.

Since they take the car home they know where you live anyway

Wow, really nice looking cars. The special detail car is very nicely equipped.

Several law enforcement agencies assign take home cars to their members. I know a Vermont State Trooper who is assigned a take-home fully marked Crown Vic. I had joked with him that he should hide it in his garage as he had stated he has some less than "law-abiding" citizens in his neighborhood lol. Hell, id love to go out to the driveway in my pj's and sign on for the day lol. In his case, they sign on at the beginning of their shift from their homes and head out to patrol, only having to go to the barracks for arrests essentially. I also know that Connecticut State Police Troopers take home their assigned patrol cars. This also seems to be popular down south in areas such as North Carolina.

I think take home cars can be a very good idea and asset. However i havevery mixed feelings about displaying the officers names on the doors. Seems as if it can become an officer safety issue, no?

I think take home cars can be a very good idea and asset. However i havevery mixed feelings about displaying the officers names on the doors. Seems as if it can become an officer safety issue, no?

i hear what you are saying, but it's not hard to find out an officer's name anyways...