Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

Found on the side of the Road

90 posts in this topic

Ex-Milton, NY 1974 International/Sanford. The owner was willing to sell this one for $4000

post-917-099897400 1282176652.jpg

post-917-060125400 1282176682.jpg

This one was across the street, and I would not have seen it from the road, but the woman who works in a deli/garden store told me about it. 1947 American LaFrance, Ex- Hudson, NH Ladder 2. The trailer portion of this rig stayed inservice until 1998 ( the tractor seen here was replaced in 1977). On their website, http://hudsonfirefighters.com/retired_apparatus.htm there is a picture of it.

post-917-072360200 1282176831.jpg

post-917-018838500 1282176844.jpg

Found inside the......oh sorry you said ON the side of the road.....

post-1020-051959900 1282214711.jpg

Dive, Dive aruga...aruga. Master of the boat bring us to peroscope dept please>

firemoose827 likes this

Sorry, I thought it was the entrance for the new underground truck wash.... Cleans the truck inside and out..

Can't you just picture Hurley sitting in the driver's seat with his SCUBA gear on going....."no rush fellas.....it's just ducky in here..." :lol:

After a road trip yesterday, I realized I had a bunch of roadside relics, fire apparatus either reused for something else, or left to rot.

First up is a Continental Compac. I found it working on a construction site in Poughkeepsie just south of the train station in October, 2009. It looks like it was originally slime yellow, but i was unable to ask anyone to look for more info on it.

Who else had Compac's in the area besides Yonkers? Don't believe this is a Yonkers rig..........from the pics i've seen on here, the only 2 door Compac engine that YFD had, was the refurbed ALF with the front suction, and I don't see any front suction.

Who else had Compac's in the area besides Yonkers? Don't believe this is a Yonkers rig..........from the pics i've seen on here, the only 2 door Compac engine that YFD had, was the refurbed ALF with the front suction, and I don't see any front suction.

Wasn't there one in the Stratford-Trumbull-Shelton Ct area?

Maybe these guys??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44700898@N02/4787699140/

PS, hope the side gig is working out for you.

Edited by JBE

Wasn't there one in the Stratford-Trumbull-Shelton Ct area?

Stratford had one

Stratford had one

Yes, Stratford did have one. It ran out of Fire Station # 2(Company 2) on Huntington Rd. I believe it originally served as Engine 2 then as a spare(Engine 8 I believe), until it was taken out of service in the early 2000's. Here's a partial shot of it:

Company 2(In the left apparatus bay)

BTW it is Lyme, NH the other Ford-C came from

Thanks, I will update my records. I could never figure out where it came from.

Thanks, I will update my records. I could never figure out where it came from.

No worries...here is the site for the organization who donates these trucks.

http://www.mutual-aid.org

BTW founded by and directed by Daniel Sheridan, FDNY Battalion Chief

Edited by bvfdjc316

KJ in Orange county had one

I believe Piermont had a couple of compacs - don't know if they were 2 or 4 door?

I drove past the Bedford Hills location this weekend. the Hahn from Glastonbury is gone (Saltzburg and Lyme Fords remain). There are a few new additions, one is the GMC/Darley from Califon Fire Co. (Hunterdon County, NJ)

post-917-017763400 1283297855.jpg

The other two were ambulances with no markings

post-917-033101800 1283297902.jpg

and

post-917-048089200 1283297923.jpg

The ambulances, while being stored at that yard are property of an agent of Mutual Aid Americas and not Mutual Aid Americas itself.

Found behind a radio station up in Greenpoint, NY. Just south of Hudson, NY on route 9G. I got no info on, no one was around to ask permission. their website, <a href="http://www.985litefm.com/main.html" target="_blank">http://www.985litefm.com/main.html</a> has a few pictures of it, but no info either.

This is a former Copake Falls and Churchtown FD Engine, both from Columbia County.

Yes, Stratford did have one. It ran out of Fire Station # 2(Company 2) on Huntington Rd. I believe it originally served as Engine 2 then as a spare(Engine 8 I believe), until it was taken out of service in the early 2000's. Here's a partial shot of it:

If memory serves me right Stratford actually had two at one point, both in lime yellow.

Found this 1947 Chevrolet marked 'Moorhead FD' 'Community fire truck' in a gas station in Poughkeepsie,NY today. In my usual rush I forgot to look for any builders tags on the body. A Google search revealed a Moorhead, MN department, but no mention of this truck in their website. Also looks to modified into a tanker at some point.

driver side

post-917-069289300 1283390415.jpg

officer side

post-917-032131600 1283390451.jpg

and the rear chute

post-917-090365700 1283390476.jpg

Ex-Milton, NY 1974 International/Sanford. The owner was willing to sell this one for $4000

WOW 4000? I remember this old girl...everytime I drive past it. We have come a long way with our apparatus, it may be worth buying and sitting out front of station. I would love to point to it everytime I hear "the mirrors are out of adjustment" or "someone dumped all of the air out of the seat." That truck would pain me on response time. Gas job with 2 speed "farmer rear" $4000? Good luck!

I think this is the best lead so far. Look closely at the bumper on the officer side. A similar bumper sticker appears in their picture as well as mine. Unfortunately I no longer have a unedited photo ( I reduced the pixel size for storage.)

If memory serves me right Stratford actually had two at one point, both in lime yellow.

Interesting. What company did it serve?