Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

International-Navistar Goes "Hot Rod Style" With Their Newest Line Of Over-The-Road Trucks (Photo)

19 posts in this topic

International has come out with a new line of over-the-road trucks. Besides the bold styling, they come with a wide variety of options, including multi-tone paint, chrome, etc. Looks like it belongs more in a hot-rod show then on the highway towing a trailer, but still sets it apart from their many competitors in this market!

2009 International "Lonestar"

Photo by me

post-11-1240327548.jpg

How long until someone orders it for the chassis for their commercial fire engine? haha. Nice looking truck though

How long until someone orders it for the chassis for their commercial fire engine? haha. Nice looking truck though

THAT would be coool. I could see that as a tanker.

Arkel in New Windsor has a couple of them. I like the one they have in black/grey two-tone.

They were actually going for the "retro" look, based on the design of one of their 1930's (or was it 40's?) era pick-up trucks.

I've yet to see one in person, but from the numerous pics I've seen, it's starting to grow on me. The interior is pretty sweet, too.

As for a fire apparatus, it's already in the works, courtesy of Rosenbauer. For some reason, my browser keeps crashing when I try to access the link, but they have a pumper-tanker in the works for this chassis, which is set to debut in September.

I also saw some of these when I was at Arkel a few weeks ago. The salesman said that they increased something like one or two miles per gallon by changing the body style which is a lot in the big trucks. Plus they look cool.

Andy I was thinking the same thing. More along the lines of a Diamond T front end.

I hear that this duo will be partnering up with CAT for the engine, to go in on the fire business

lets see who is the first local department to get this chassis. looks good but by looking at the photo that front bumper seems really low and if need be curbs could be a problem. I know some hydrants in our town also don't have the best roads providing access.

wow...that is really sharp! The bumper can be modified. I have seen one locally on the NJTP with a shorter bumper. Would like to see the Mack Titan made in to an emergency vehicle...

Wow, and I thought the Kenworth cabs were obnoxiously large. Great looking truck, but its way too big of a cab to use for a firetruck, you give up so much space with that hood.

How much cab space do you need? If you operate 2 or 3 ff's and an operator commercials give you a significant financial savings over custom.

How much cab space do you need? If you operate 2 or 3 ff's and an operator commercials give you a significant financial savings over custom.

But you risk a huge safety factor if that apperatus rolls over as the cab is not reenforced to handle the weight upside down like a modern custom can

Pictures of the Rosenbauer 2009 Navistar Lonestar chassis on one of their tanker/pumpers from at the FDIC 2009 Show in Indy last week.

post-4458-1241282328.jpg

post-4458-1241282338.jpg

post-4458-1241282347.jpg

post-4458-1241282359.jpg

But you risk a huge safety factor if that apparatus rolls over as the cab is not reinforced to handle the weight upside down like a modern custom can

If the rig is properly speced out it will be. I have seen several commercial rigs that have added safety roll bars inside that are still a huge savings over a custom cab and faster into service from time of order.

Round Tanks with baffles decrease the chances of rollover.... over a standard T tank... lol....