Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What's With The Black-And-White?

17 posts in this topic

At least around here, it seems almost every agency is switching back to black-and-white cruisers. Is there something behind this, or is the traditional look the new "fad"?

I find the black to be less visible (good for when you don't want to be seen), but not good when you're at a traffic incident or patrolling. It's also harder to distinguish agencies.

Given the graphics technology out there today, there's a million ways to make a sharp cruiser.

Plain and simple? They are cheap. I believe Ford makes them out of the factory with the B&W paint job. Really appealing to Commissioners and Chiefs alike, as its cheap as hell.

Opposite thing happening up here. Most PD's are going with a single color and decal graphics due to the extremely low resale/trade-in value of two color cars. PD where I work still uses them, where I live they went all white with decals.

Sage: I can't for the life of me figure out how they would be cheaper? At best the same price, but cheaper? To even switch up the line for a few minutes and assemble unmatched colors must be more money as opposed to less. I think there are municipal discounts for cruiser packaged units or otherwise stripped down muni cars, but I can't see the paint making the difference. Of course I really don't know this specifically, just theorizing.

Edited by antiquefirelt

A cop car that looks like a cop car brings pride to the people driving it. Cop cars look a lot like taxis in a lot of places, the black and white is unique to emergency vehicles.

As for the price, as of 2008 both Dodge and Ford offer black and white cars as no cost options.

black, blue, day glow orange doesn't matter. If the flashing lights and scotchlite aren't enough for visibility car color won't help. Black and white is cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain.

I am not entirely sure of the details, excuse my ignorance on the subject, however I believe the state of NJ was "suggesting" departments switch to the b/w color scheme to create a more uniformity in the state. At this point dozens of departments are switching over, while others maintain the all white color scheme. Few deviate from those two primary schemes today, and as time goes on I expect to see more unique color schemes completely phased out in the state save a few hardliner depts.

Here's a Fort Worth, TX PD Chevrolet Impala, first Impala I've seen in B&W. Fort Worth is also another department that recently went with the B&W scheme after experimenting with a few other designs.

post-11-1240593101.jpg

I'm a big fan of standardization and wish NY was more like some other states in that regard. Some states regulate the lighting packages on a police vehicle and to be considered a authorized police vehicle it must comply with the law. I think the black and white is extremely distinctive and should be the national standard for police cars. With that in mind, it should be unlawful for a non-police vehicle to be painted as a black and white - ironically there is taxi company in Westchester running with black and white cars but I guess they're safe because NY will never get its act together on anything let alone standards for police cars. :lol:

It's funny how school buses all look alike no matter where you go in the country - I guess there are fewer egos and attitudes associated with them!

Given the graphics technology out there today, there's a million ways to make a sharp cruiser.

And that's a problem, nobody knows who the cops actually are anymore!

As someone who has vast knowledge of emergency vehicles, (its my job), the two tone set up is a factory installed option from Ford. And because it is an option, it is an added expense. It is cheaper to have it done by the factory than an aftermarket paint shop and that is why my department orders them that way. Our Crown Vics start out as black cars then have the white sprayed meaning that all jams are black . Our cars are now auctioned online and we get a good penny for them eventhough they are multicolored.

its like with the police in london, they have started moving more towards silver/grey as they get a higher resale price for them, the older white onces went for a cheep price because they look like police cars (in the eyes of the public a vauxall thats white is an ex police car no matter what)

I'm just happy I get a car that runs and has a working radio and heat/ac, as long as that is true it could be sky blue pink with boznagola green polka dots on it.

Edited by Chiefmcfuz

I'm just happy I get a car that runs and has a working radio and heat/ac, as long as that is true it could be sky blue pink with boznagola green polka dots on it.

You left out the cupholders. Where else can you put that cup of joe?

John

I am the cup holder LOL

The B & W is starting to grow on me...Croton's and Ossining V's look sharp....Always wondered what a B & W Yonkers PD cruiser would look like!!!

Even foofie BRONXVILLE'S new cars are black and white! The Crown Vic below with the plate readers on the trunk is especially sharp.

subscreen_c2_police2.gif

I remember a town near me had 7 different car with seven different colors!!!

Back in the day the old Plymouths used by my town were green and white with two "bubblegum machines", a Federal siren and two green "lollypop" duty lights! Then we went to the LTDs in dark blue. They bought a few Ford Fairmonts (more like Fair-Nots!) in the early 80's they had two different color blues and a red. They only lasted a short time and finally wen tback to the LTDs but they went with white with back reflective letters and a gold refletive stripe (we are know as the "Copper City" and those are the color of the pee-wee football teams). When the towns were transitioning over to black and whites, we were one of the first to receive one. Now all the towns in the area are going to the new scheme and it is nice to know who are the cops in town instead of having a "rainbow" assortment.

Plus too since the CSP uses unmarked LTDs, the towns wanted to look different from the Staties.

Vestal's are now black and white