Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

New Delivery: Somers Ladder 48

36 posts in this topic

Somers Fire took delivery of our new quint. It is a 75 foot Sutphen Quint....

DSCN0289.jpg

How come it's not Ladder 18??

It's nice except i don't like the stick hanging out the back

We are keeping Ladder18. Ladder 48 is an addition

"Proudly Volunteering Since....." Where have I seen that before--oh wait--that is on the last new piece they got as well--no--no just there--think I saw it some where else--hmmmmm--

Seriously though--best of luck with the 48 Truck. It will make a fine addition to your fleet along with Tower Ladder 18.

post-135-1243195893.jpg

Edited by PVFD113

A long time in the making, glad to see it's finally a reality. (2009 seemed far away when I first heard this being discussed in 2003...where does time go??)

Looks GREAT, and VERY functional...Sutphen's are really starting to grow on me after some of their recent deliveries I have seen.

Where is Ladder 48 going to be stationed?

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the photos! Much appreciated, can't wait to get some of my own some day!

Is there that much fire up there that you need two ladder trucks?

Is there that much fire up there that you need two ladder trucks?

Somers is a very large district, with many diverse hazards. (Heritage Hills, nursing homes, shopping centers, schools, etc). This truck will enhance not only the coverage in Somers, but the entire region. It's also a Quint, so it can serve dual roles (let's not get into that discussion!).

Fire protcection is not about how much fire you have, it's about how much fire you COULD have, and I think Somers has really stepped it up over the years enhancing it's fleet to meet the growing demands of Somers.

Plus, they do see several large fires a year.

nice looking rig, hope it serves Somers well and for many years, we are seeing more and more apparatus being delivered with blue lights on the rear.

Somers is a very large district, with many diverse hazards. (Heritage Hills, nursing homes, shopping centers, schools, etc).

Not to mention the IBM and Pepsi campuses.

Looks nice, similar to Millwood's L52. Good luck with it Somers!

On an unrelated note, has the law changed yet so we can legally display blue lights to the rear? We're holding off until it's kosher, thanks ahead of time for any help.

Great looking truck....

Very similar to millwoods...can't wait to see it

Is it going to any parades this year?

we are seeing more and more apparatus being delivered with blue lights on the rear.

I hope its on when they back into my vehicle...it needs replacing and the taxpayers in Somers have more $$$ than I...... :P

On an unrelated note, has the law changed yet so we can legally display blue lights to the rear? We're holding off until it's kosher, thanks ahead of time for any help.

Nope. My guys wanted to know why we dont order rigs with the blue rear. We told them when it is legal, it takes 1 min to swap out the red or amber for blue.

Edited by Bnechis

We told them when it is legal, it takes 1 min to swap out the red or amber for blue.

The LED itself may be blue, not just the lens. The bill will most likely be passed any day now, so when this goes into service, it won't be an issue.

So correct me if im wrong but this L-48 will replace E-188. Then E-188 will be moved to the other station, and E-186 will be replaced by E-188 and then E-186 will be sold. Am I right or wrong? Thanks in advance guys.

This is a LADDER. It is not replacing any Engine! Engine 186 will be sold in the near future, and a new Engine has been ordered. Somers needs to have 5 Engines and 2 Ladders to properly cover the populated areas of the District.

Ladder 48 will not be in service for a while, yet. We still need to qualify driver/operators, purchase some equipment and mount the equipment.

It will eventually be housed in Somers Fire House, once the doors are raised, in the next few weeks.

The bill will most likely be passed any day now, so when this goes into service, it won't be an issue.

Is there even a bill? There wasn't when the truck was spec'ed, or initial build

A8409 & A8470 and S4006 & S5593 were introduced this past tuesday and sent to committee. That means if they are fast tracked we might see them for Xmas.

First, I would like to say good luck to Somers FD and kudos to the Apparatus Committee.

It looks like it was very well planned out and will be able to fit into tight spots.

What type of equipment will Ladder 48 carry?

Somers House?

I look forward to seeing it cruzin' up West Hill Drive :D

The midmount is perfect for the tighter culdesacs of Heritage Hills, not to mention the jack spread is fairly minimal too. This Truck should prove more then useful up there, as well as many other areas of the Somers Fire District. Glad someone used their heads.