Followers 0
x635

City Of New Rochelle New Engine 25-In Depth Photos

29 posts in this topic

City Of New Rochelle, NY

New Engine 25

2009 Pierce Arrow XT

Pierce Job # 21344

Special thanks to Commisioner Kiernan and the guys working Engine 25 that day for their awesome hospitality!! They are very proud of this engine and love it!

(Please note that the remote control top mounted deckgun was not on the engine at the time I was photographing it). This engine also had tons of compartments and storage everywhere, and looking at my photos afterwards, I missed some of them. I missed throwing up the tarp and showing the hose bed, and there are a ton of little compartments all over as mentioned. It seems that every possible inch of space on this engine body was used- no wasted "void spacess".

post-11-1249053405.jpg

post-11-1249053519.jpg

post-11-1249053641.jpg

post-11-1249053654.jpg

post-11-1249053759.jpg

post-11-1249053933.jpg

post-11-1249053941.jpg

post-11-1249054162.jpg

post-11-1249054170.jpg

post-11-1249054318.jpg

post-11-1249054330.jpg

post-11-1249054549.jpg

post-11-1249054558.jpg

post-11-1249054570.jpg

post-11-1249054817.jpg

post-11-1249054825.jpg

post-11-1249054965.jpg

post-11-1249054974.jpg

post-11-1249055122.jpg

post-11-1249055128.jpg

post-11-1249055387.jpg

post-11-1249055395.jpg

post-11-1249055535.jpg

post-11-1249055544.jpg

post-11-1249055724.jpg

Are both 6" main intakes gated at the pump?? If so that is not a bad idea!

No suprise this looks like a well planned and executed engine. Can some one from NRFD or Seth explain the front bumper hose loads?

Are both 6" main intakes gated at the pump?? If so that is not a bad idea!

They are gated behind the panel on each side and electrically operated from the pump panel. A manual overide is next to the valave on each side.

No suprise this looks like a well planned and executed engine. Can some one from NRFD or Seth explain the front bumper hose loads?

Thanks.

Starting from the drivers side 2.5" gated wye to 2) 1.5" with one preconnected 100' x 1 3/4" double donut roll (2 50' lengths) and a TFT nozzle (trash line). Then 2 spanners, center bin carries 1 can foam (1-3 Universal gold) 1 TFT with foam cone, 1 medium expansion TFT foam nozzle and a foam can wrench.

Next section has a TFT 95 gpm foam educator secured to the deck (its removable) the pick up tube is clipped to the lid, the educator has a 5’ length of hose (to connect it to the wye) and 200’ x 1 3/4" double donut roll (4 x 50' lengths) in the officer side bin. This hose is connected to the Foam nozzle in the center cut out.

The foam system was designed to give a preconnected foam line without the problems of prepiped foam.

To use it, hook up the short length to the wye (it was suppose to be pre connected , we had that previously set up on another rig, the lid/position of the waterway prevented this) and pull the nozzle and hose. Then flow water, if foam is needed, open the can and drop the educator in. The rig carries 30 more gallons in the drivers rear comp. so its easy to get to.

So we get a foam line that works great, easy to deploy (particularly at car fires on the Hutch with E-25 1st due) and we do not have the maintenance problems of built in systems and we save $20-$40 K.

Double donut rolls work great, particularly if you have semi circular hose bins and add dividers between each length. You just pull the end and it spits the hose right out.

Barry, what are the ground ladders? Looks like a 28' inside.

Rear compartment: 24' ext., 14' roof, backboard

Above rear comp: Attic Ladder

Ladder Rack: 35' extension

Above Pump Panel: Little Giant Ladder

Great looking rig. Looks like a well thought out apparatus.

Excellent photos - thanks x635.

Barry- I noticed the water jel blanket in a compartment (photo 18) . Good to see this product ready to aid a burn victim. Any brothers from NRFD have stories with using a Water Jel ? Some EMT's have a concern that it is not following NYS protocol.

I will start a new thread on this topic.

Link to Water Jel discussion http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=33007

Great looking rig. Looks like a well thought out apparatus.

Excellent photos - thanks x635.

Barry- I noticed the water jel blanket in a compartment (photo 18) . Good to see this product ready to aid a burn victim. Any brothers from NRFD have stories with using a Water Jel ? Some EMT's have a concern that it is not following NYS protocol.

I will start a new thread on this topic.

We use it to Extinguish burning clothing, and stop the burning process. One must be careful leaving it on for too long because of hypothermia.

NYS Protocol

Burns

(Thermal/Electrical)

I. Assure that the scene is safe for entry. If danger of contamination is present, it may be necessary to obtain assistance from trained rescue and/or fire personnel.

II. Extinguish burning clothing, and stop the burning process.

III. Perform initial assessment.

IV. Assure that the patient’s airway is open and that breathing and circulation are adequate.

V. Place the patient in a position of comfort only if doing so does not compromise stabilization of the head and cervical spine!

VI. Administer high concentration oxygen if indicated during the initial assessment or if respiratory burns are suspected and in all burns involving flames, exposure to superheated

gases or when patient is found in a confined area.

VII. Remove smoldering clothing not adhering to the patient’s skin. Remove rings, bracelets and all other constricting items if possible. Do not delay transport to remove these items!

VIII. Assess for hypoperfusion. If hypoperfusion is present, refer immediately to the hypoperfusion protocol!

IX. For all burns determine the thickness and percent of body surface area. Treat as follows:

A. Partial thickness burns covering 10% or less of total body surface area: Apply moistened sterile dressings or moistened burn sheets to the burned area(s).

B. Full thickness burns and burns covering more than 10% of body surface area: Apply dry sterile dressings or burn sheets to the burned area(s).

X. Transport immediately, keeping the patient warm. This is important since these patients tend to lose heat and become hypothermic!

XI. Ongoing assessment. Obtain and record the patient’s vital signs, repeat enroute as often as the situation indicates.

XII. Record all patient care information, including the patient’s medical history and all treatment provided, on a Prehospital Care Report (PCR).

Thanks Barry.

NYS Protocol IX A & B indicate treatment.

I am in favor of the Water Jel Product as it will stop the burning process. Thanks again and best of luck with Engine 25.

Is there anyway for someone to post a more detailed photo of the front bumper set-up? It seems like this is a GREAT idea, and cost saving measure.

I'm not much of an "Apparatus nut", but I have to say that this is a well designed apparatus. New Rochelle has always been the department that other FD's look to borrow design ideas from.

Great Rig!

Another nice photo shoot Seth, and a sharp looking Pierce for the NRFD. Roll safe brothers.

(I particularly like the wi-fi, mp3 hook-up, Bose sound system, and Blackberry interfacer in the officer's dash space......:-)

Another nice photo shoot Seth, and a sharp looking Pierce for the NRFD. Roll safe brothers.

(I particularly like the wi-fi, mp3 hook-up, Bose sound system, and Blackberry interfacer in the officer's dash space......:-)

Or its the intercom control head, speedometer and electronic siren control (above) and the Panasonic tuff book on the dash

Barry, the bumper compartment is set up for rapid foam? Does 25 Engine respond to the Interstate and/or parkways?

Barry, the bumper compartment is set up for rapid foam? Does 25 Engine respond to the Interstate and/or parkways?

Rapid Foam and a trash line

1st Due on the Hutchinson River Parkway

Edited by Bnechis

I also forgot to point out the remote control deck gun, which can be controlled at the pump panel....(instead of having to climb up to to set it)

post-11-1250277495.jpg

I also forgot to point out the remote control deck gun, which can be controlled at the pump panel....(instead of having to climb up to to set it)

It can also be controlled by a wireless remote control that TFT gave us for free.

The foam system was designed to give a preconnected foam line without the problems of prepiped foam.

To use it, hook up the short length to the wye (it was suppose to be pre connected , we had that previously set up on another rig, the lid/position of the waterway prevented this) and pull the nozzle and hose. Then flow water, if foam is needed, open the can and drop the educator in. The rig carries 30 more gallons in the drivers rear comp. so its easy to get to.

So we get a foam line that works great, easy to deploy (particularly at car fires on the Hutch with E-25 1st due) and we do not have the maintenance problems of built in systems and we save $20-$40 K.

Double donut rolls work great, particularly if you have semi circular hose bins and add dividers between each length. You just pull the end and it spits the hose right out.

This is along the lines we went, though no B foam preconnected deploy options. Years of speccing engines with B systems then rarely (I mean really rare) using them seemed to be a waste of money. Coupled with the fact that when you "really need it" we rarely carried enough (40 gals 3X3 AR-AFFF) it was determined a regional foam trailer would be a better set up for all local FD's.

We too have the double donuts on our newest rescue pumper, which is why I wondered if that was what you were using. Our guys love this set up. Much easier to re-rack, and it deploys very easy. We run two 200 footers of the bumper from a gated wye. The FFer grabs the nozzle and puts his arm through three loops and walks away. All the hose is out of the tray in 25 ft and drags easily dumping each loop when it tightens, so you end up with any extra hose at the door/objective. Given the two side by side we can connect them and run it as a single 400 ft (read high FL!) or really any length 50 to 400 ft. All our 1.75" in house is no rolled double style to re-rack and turns out it's better carried this way anyhow when extending lines as both ends are in your hand.

Here's a pic of our drivers side roll, same thing on the officer's side. Looks like about the same thing as NRFD's.

post-2764-1250296889.jpg

Barry,

Good luck with the new rig. That bumper scares me! Is that a PINK connection I see? PINK??

Guy

Barry,

Good luck with the new rig. That bumper scares me! Is that a PINK connection I see? PINK??

Guy

lol....No, we've told the members its very very very light red. Ran out of colors. When it came in the guys went a little nuts and asked why? I told them we already have that color on every rig (as a tag or ring, not the whole pipe). I was told "no way"...told them to check E-21. They asked when did we do that? I told them 8 years ago. They never noticed before E-25.

My daughter told them that that was the outlet for when we get girl firefighters.

When it came in the guys went a little nuts and asked why?

I usually tell the guys who complain about stuff like this, that if they're that uncomfortable with their own masculinity that a color makes them question whether they like boys or girls, it's their issue to deal with not mine... :lol:

Fantastic photos guys - great job NRFD. An enormous amount of equipment properly stored and accessible; making utilization straightforward and sensible.

One comment on foam utilization - we have prepiped Class A foam on most of our first line pumpers and, to be honest, using it all depends on who is on the rig. I can vouch for my station by saying we use it for most everything with the exception of extinguishing flammable liquids and other exceptions (we also have the AFFF on board with an eductor just in case). It's a great control agent if used properly and in the correct proportion. For room and contents fires and vehicle fires you end up using a lot less water which is very important in areas such as ours where we rely on tankers and draft sites to supply the H2O. Just my 2 cents.

lol....No, we've told the members its very very very light red. Ran out of colors. When it came in the guys went a little nuts and asked why? I told them we already have that color on every rig (as a tag or ring, not the whole pipe). I was told "no way"...told them to check E-21. They asked when did we do that? I told them 8 years ago. They never noticed before E-25.

My daughter told them that that was the outlet for when we get girl firefighters.

Barry,

What is the normal staffing for Engine 25. I heard it was 1-Officer and 3-firefighters due to it being somewhat isolated from the rest of the companies in the City. What is the normal staffing of the rest of the companies in the NRFD

Barry, What is the normal staffing for Engine 25. I heard it was 1-Officer and 3-firefighters due to it being somewhat isolated from the rest of the companies in the City. What is the normal staffing of the rest of the companies in the NRFD

That is correct for E-25. E-21 & E-22 are also 3ff/1O (with the 3rd ff hired with a SAFER grant). E-23 & E24 have 2ff/1O. TL-11 2ff/1O, L12 & L13 have 2FF & either 1O or 1FF, 1DC & Aide. Minimum manning is 29 onduty. sometinmes its more and we add the 4th ff to E23 or E24 or man R4.